Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2161104 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12950 on: 22 April, 2018, 08:24:42 pm »
Also modified an old Campag Record front hub to fit into 5/16" fork ends.  The 3-piece BHC Airlite front hub on the Holdsworth is too flexible; I think the flanges have lost their interference fit with the shell.  The Record hub should be a straight swap as the dimensions are almost identical - spoke length is quite tolerant of minor differences at the hub end anyway.  The cones in the Campag hub are a bit crappy but I expect replacements are gazillions.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12951 on: 22 April, 2018, 09:29:48 pm »
Replaced the crapped out cone in the rear wheel of HK's Condor and tweaked the rear brake and gears appropriately.

Applied Loctite 660 to the loose crown race of my trike. Hopefully that problem is sorted now. Opened up the rear axles and found 3 of the 4 cups AND 3 of the 4 cones are dodgy. So the trike is off the road again until I source suitable replacements. This seems too much like 'situation normal', given how often this machine has been unserviceable.

Replaced the front tyre on my Frezoni and removed the handlebar tape, brake and gear cables and brake levers. Still to fit the new stuff though.
Phew. Your previous entry in this thread featured fettling on your own machine. I'm glad to see HK's bike is getting some attention again. I need stability in my life.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12952 on: 22 April, 2018, 09:40:03 pm »
Yesterday : bloke came in the shop carrying a track pump:

Him:  "Bought this off you a few weeks ago but it doesn't work and just blows off the valve when I pump"
Me:  "What sort of valve"
Him: "One like that" [Pointing to a bike on the shop floor]
Me: "Hmm that's odd . .  you connect it like this, using the smaller hole in the pump head"
[I remove valve cap, start to unscrew small knurled brass stopper . . .]
Him: "Oh, do you have to undo that?"

Priceless.

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12953 on: 28 April, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »
New Rivet Pearl Pass saddle, Tektro brake levers and cables, along with gear cables and handlebar tape (Velox handlebar tape is short and not very tapered, not recommended) on my Frezoni. After tweaking the headset, finally it is ready to tackle some brevets again.

Next on the list are some cables, handlebar tape and brake hoods on our Moultons (and new mudguards on mine), a new saddle on the Audax tandem to replace a worn-out B17 Std and a couple of mudflaps.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12954 on: 28 April, 2018, 06:17:22 pm »
Phew. Your previous entry in this thread featured fettling on your own machine. I'm glad to see HK's bike is getting some attention again. I need stability in my life.

Too close to the truth TH. Other than HK's Moulton, all her machines are finally just about up to scratch though, so I can start through my own maintenance backlog.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12955 on: 28 April, 2018, 09:36:33 pm »
Since I wasn't going camping, and since the arrival of all the required SMD components was the reason why I wasn't going camping, I mantled the barakta-friendly dimmable LED driver boards I designed a couple of weeks ago.  It's not the neatest PCB layout, but it appears that I didn't cock anything up this time, not even clearance at the mounting screw holes.   :o :thumbsup:

Seems to achieve about 1% ripple at 250kHz, or - to use the technical term - bugger all flicker, and is a bit more stable at low dimming levels than it was when lashed up on breadboard.  W00t.  (This'll be because of the blood sacrifice I made when trimming a through-hole capacitor leg, and nothing to do with grotty leads or stray inductance.)

Still need to test it with a microcontroller PWM signal on the input, but my neck's had enough electronics for now.  Suspicious that 0805s have got smaller since I last soldered them, I was using the magnifier more.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12956 on: 28 April, 2018, 11:11:26 pm »
Stuck a new rear derailleur on the commuter, which Pingu helped me swear at.

Filled in some gaps beside the side rails of the blackout blind with decorators caulk (in a corner), which worked well. :thumbsup:
Attempted to fill in the crack in the plaster above the stove with caulk (not a corner), which went shite.  ::-)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12957 on: 29 April, 2018, 06:44:35 am »
New casette on the cruzbike, the 12-32, will test it out next weekend I suspect as yesterday and today were both foul and hence turbo trainer days

Tidied up quite a bit in the shed
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12958 on: 29 April, 2018, 08:16:11 am »
Yest: cut & glued up the bits for a cigar-box guitar neck.  Profile carving next.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12959 on: 29 April, 2018, 12:34:49 pm »
I de-flickered a couple of LED lamps by adding a suitable smoothing capacitor to each to compliment the totally inadequate ones already fitted.

This is not the first time that open-bulb surgery has had to be performed for this shortcoming.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #12960 on: 29 April, 2018, 12:37:28 pm »
I finished fitting the dynamo lights to the Brompton. It's had the new wheel since last weekend, but I had to pause to buy the front light bracket and wire to the rear light.

The dynamo wheel was a Christmas present.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12961 on: 29 April, 2018, 04:19:49 pm »
Re-cabled the rear gears on the commuter bike.

Last week, the shifting was becoming worse and worse.
On the stand, the indexing was obviously very unhappy:  although the shifter had 10 click-stop positions, the cable was not moving for the upper 2 and lower 2. 

A bit of investigation and the cable is badly frayed inside the shifter, with only 2 strands remaining connected.
The remaining strands had bird-caged inside the shifter gubbins and were messing everything up.

Took about 30 minutes to get all the old strands fully extracted from the gubbins.
So total re-cable with new inners, outers and caps.

Shifting is sweet again!

I inspected the brake cables at the same time, but they were fine.
I think I replaced those not too long ago.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12962 on: 29 April, 2018, 06:35:51 pm »
Stripped off the handlebar tape and brake and gear cables on my Moulton and replaced the cracked front mudguard. The new rear mudguard wouldn't fit properly. Fitting new cables, etc. can wait for a bit though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #12963 on: 29 April, 2018, 06:57:44 pm »
Took off, cleaned, greased and reattached bottom bracket and cranks to see if that would stop the mystery creak.

Fitted a new chain.

Re-bodged the rear mudguard.

« Reply #12964 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:29:41 pm »
I have finally got around to sorting the poles on the tent.  There were two sections of pole, one each on two of the three pole sets, which had a split at the flared end.

I am pleased to report that my tent no longer has split ends.   :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12965 on: 02 May, 2018, 04:20:19 pm »
Rebuilt the front wheel on the Holdsworth with a Campag Record large flange hub, which is a straight swap for the BHC Airlite in terms of spoke lengths.  The latter's flanges fell off as soon as the spokes were removed.  I have now done a proper job of reattaching them*, with Loctite 603, the stuff that is as strong as metal and needs 250 deg C to separate the parts.  It looks incredible although the cups are a bit scabby (cones are perfect, and it'll run in a bit; it works beautifully under load but feels rough if the axle is turned in my fingers).  Someone will pay decent money for it.

* yes I did remember to offset the spoke holes!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12966 on: 02 May, 2018, 04:38:41 pm »
Did some more house fettling, in readiness for the descent of ~60 people on our place, on Saturday.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rr

« Reply #12967 on: 03 May, 2018, 07:21:13 pm »
Replaced bottom bracket on the elephant bike, old drive side one was in bits.
Replaced 4 drive belts in my cassette deck, now as good as new.
Replaced toilet seat hinges.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12968 on: 05 May, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »
Replaced the 4 cups and 3 of 4 cones of my trike's rear axles and refitted the cassette. Everything worked fine during a short trundle to the Hillingdon cycle circuit and back. Now the only remaining original parts on the trike are the 3 wheels, both rear axles, 1 rear axle cone, the cantilever brake, the brake hanger and the seatpost bolt. Literally every other component has been changed because of excessive wear or incompatibility.

Swapped out a C17 for a carved version on a mate's bike for him to test.

Demolished a couple of rotten fence panels and uprights to let our neighbour paint the inaccessible wall of their garden shed. Hulk smash!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12969 on: 05 May, 2018, 07:35:31 pm »
Yesterday : bloke came in the shop carrying a track pump:

Him:  "Bought this off you a few weeks ago but it doesn't work and just blows off the valve when I pump"
Me:  "What sort of valve"
Him: "One like that" [Pointing to a bike on the shop floor]
Me: "Hmm that's odd . .  you connect it like this, using the smaller hole in the pump head"
[I remove valve cap, start to unscrew small knurled brass stopper . . .]
Him: "Oh, do you have to undo that?"

Priceless.

Rob
I can remember learning that when I got my first bike with Presta valves. It is a bit weird if you've only used Dunlop or Schrader before.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12970 on: 05 May, 2018, 07:57:40 pm »
Installed an M6 bolt into the rear mudguard/rack braze-on on the Red Baron.  The previous one was missing in action.  This was complicated by air having got into my bottle of loctite and turned most of the contents to goo, but fortunately not by stripped threads.

When I rule the world I'm going to ban such things from being within chain-fouling range of the cassette.  So you can put a nylock on it and not have to worry about this sort of rubbish.

« Reply #12971 on: 05 May, 2018, 08:35:27 pm »
I thought it was important to have air in the loctite bottle as it was the lack of air (when in a thread) that sets it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12972 on: 05 May, 2018, 08:42:18 pm »
Yup

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12973 on: 05 May, 2018, 09:49:16 pm »
I stand corrected.  Wonder what caused that, then.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12974 on: 06 May, 2018, 03:34:32 pm »
Mid ride mudguard fettling after a comedy recumbent up a hill topple sideways into a bank of nettles.

Fiddling about with the indexing when bak home as it was inaccurate after swapping casettes and annoying me on the ride today
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens