Author Topic: Gin!  (Read 31165 times)

ian

Re: Gin!
« Reply #100 on: 12 February, 2017, 06:43:05 pm »
Ian, were you allowed to taste the Forest (weasel) Gin?  (ETA - oh yes, you were, just found the post)
And has anyone had Wicked Wolf Exmoor gin, being as it's being stocked at our local whisky shop?

Sorry, not tried that one. I have the embarrassingly first world problem of having run out of gin storage space.

The weasel gin is very nice (I'm not sure £52 nice, but it's a cool pottery bottle and, well, mustelids).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #101 on: 12 February, 2017, 06:44:27 pm »
I have some Wicked Wolf. Pingu declared it tasted of "something". I can't detect anything special about it.

However, I was impressed by their easy open wax seal affair:
IMG_20170212_181526 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #102 on: 23 April, 2017, 06:23:07 pm »
I also used to be a man of no taste who though all gin was the same. Then made the mistake of going to a gin festival and finding out I was fundamentally wrong. Favourite now is Bockmann's  - wonderfully fruity - almost sweet flavours.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #103 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:22:42 pm »
Do you mean Brockmans?  I won't have it in the house because I don't think it tastes like gin!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #104 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:47:05 pm »
I was bought a bottle of Monkey 47 and a bottle of Mare for my birthday, a taster of both so far and both very good. The Monkey is more floral than I expected.

Did I mention my own gin making as well? Something bought for me as a Christmas present by swmbo, she bought the same for herself as well. A class of four in a downstairs room of a pub in Cambridge. You get a history of gin, tastings of the Cambridge distillery gin, taste all the component flavours and then blend your own. An expensive bottle of gin but a good night out.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #105 on: 23 April, 2017, 09:41:26 pm »
Mmm Monkey 47. Their sloe gin is also delicious :P

« Reply #106 on: 03 May, 2017, 10:04:12 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #107 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:47:24 am »
why?

« Reply #108 on: 20 May, 2017, 02:26:01 am »
Who needs accidents when you can by Strane Uncut Gin at 76% all year round? God bless the Swedes

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #109 on: 20 May, 2017, 07:37:03 am »
I was bought a bottle of Monkey 47 and a bottle of Mare for my birthday, a taster of both so far and both very good. The Monkey is more floral than I expected.

Did I mention my own gin making as well? Something bought for me as a Christmas present by swmbo, she bought the same for herself as well. A class of four in a downstairs room of a pub in Cambridge. You get a history of gin, tastings of the Cambridge distillery gin, taste all the component flavours and then blend your own. An expensive bottle of gin but a good night out.

You lucky man!

The Cambridge Distillery is just down the road from us.  Their standard Cambridge Gin is lush - but their Japanese Gin is a cracker!  Last night saw me open a bottle of their Truffle Gin.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ElyDave

« Reply #110 on: 22 May, 2017, 11:04:59 pm »
Who needs accidents when you can by Strane Uncut Gin at 76% all year round? God bless the Swedes

You should have told me, I've just been there and would have tried some

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #111 on: 22 May, 2017, 11:12:37 pm »
We're off to Bombay Sapphire in a couple of weeks to attend their Cocktail class.  It's only 7 miles away and a bit of a local landmark.

My local publican is a self-confessed Gin expert and treats you to a personal discussion before making you a cocktail.  He maintains that too many people get too obsessed with the Gin (and spend far too much money on it) and ignore the mixer.

He concluded that my perfect Gin would be a "Pink Gin" made with Tanqueray and Fever Tree "Aromatics" mixer.  He is adamant that Tanqueray is as much as you need to spend on Gin.

FYI - He was right about the Pink Gin.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ElyDave

« Reply #112 on: 22 May, 2017, 11:38:08 pm »
I quite like a pink gin, plenty of angostura, and my general gin of choice is tanqueray or Plymouth gin.

ElyDave

« Reply #113 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:11:12 pm »
bought a new gin on a whim in Frankfurt today, South African by the mega corp KWV, from grapes, called Cruxland

Very nice indeed, lots of nice aniseediness plus some other "Kalahari botanicals" and a bit of lemoniness.

Worked well with a bit of ice, lime and fizzy water

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #114 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »
Hmm, didn't see anything interesting in Frankfurt duty free last week.

Tonight I have Inschriach 57% gin. Bit fiery neat!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #115 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:07:27 pm »
I bought some gin in the offie outside Bruges. It tastes of whisky. I do not like whisky, I like gin.
 :-\

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #116 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:16:26 pm »
Chemistry Class was never like this at school...

Bombay Sapphire Gin Distillery earlier today.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #117 on: 21 June, 2017, 08:46:19 pm »
Currently enjoying Bombay Sapphire and Sanpellegrino lemon & mint, in a tall glass with lots of ice.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

« Reply #118 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:39:10 am »
Made a very nice gin and vodka martini with lemon balm, served over crushed ice. Very refreshing in the heat.

ian

« Reply #119 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »
I bought some gin in the offie outside Bruges. It tastes of whisky. I do not like whisky, I like gin.
 :-\

I've had a couple of barrel-aged gins that have crossed the whisky threshold. I don't like whisky either. I've had a couple that are OK, but generally I'm unconvinced that gin as a whole benefits from barrel aging.

ElyDave

« Reply #120 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:39:35 pm »
I like whisky

ian

« Reply #121 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:53:00 pm »
I'm breaking school night rules with a gin and tonic right now (Floraison). I got up at 5am this morning, schlepped all the way to Bristol and back and did a good four hours of speechifying, so I reckon I've earned an early weekend.

fuzzy

« Reply #122 on: 27 June, 2017, 10:01:35 am »
Until recently (the last year or two) spirits and I really didn't get along. the taste and experience were too foul to contemplate.

Recently however, my palate has developed into being able to enjoy some spirits and liqueurs. Limoncello, vodka etc.

The spirit of choice at the moment however is gin, accompanied by tonic. I have a lot to learn I think (in the same way that the recent ability to eat cheese without barfing has come my way).

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #123 on: 04 September, 2017, 06:36:57 pm »
On our way to France last month, I bought a bottle of Durham gin. Just tried it tonight  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Reads the label: contains celery seed.  :sick: That explains the bogging taste then, and will teach me to read the label a bit better in future before purchasing.

« Reply #124 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:14:26 am »
I used to get shitfaced on gin when I was single. I loved to go to a random bar or a restaurant and spend the night trying to replace all the liquids in my body with gin or whiskey. Nearly cost me my life because I started ordering cheap. When my drinking adventure reached its climax, they had to stick a tube in me and drain pus for a week.
They say gin is a weak drink. Nope. Whatever you do, don't drink it alone and don't drink it cheap.