Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 419205 times)

rob

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #2075 on: 22 June, 2018, 09:10:03 am »
If have thought your power would have been higher for a 10.  I guess it would be if you trained for short rides.
That's pretty quick for 257W

i haven't trained in aero position much, so my power is 20-30w lower than on a road bike, plus there were three downhill sections where i'd wanted a taller gear (than the current 53x11). my heart rate was ~5bpm lower than i can sustain for such duration, so perhaps i wasn't pushing myself as hard as i could have? :)

I pretty much never hit the HRs I can get on the turbo when racing, unless it's a warm day.   I regularly come away from the shorter distances thinking I haven't tried hard enough.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2076 on: 24 June, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »
I was out marshalling the club's open 25 this morning. Very benevolent conditions - mild and hardly any wind - meant some fast times. Winner was Chris Fennell, who didn't beat his own course record of 49.50, but his 50.21 still seems pretty good to me.

I've not yet done a 25 myself but watching them this morning made me wish I was out there on my bike. I would even think about entering the KCA 25 in September, on the same course (Q25/10), except I've already entered the Fenland Friends 600 which is on the same weekend. Dammit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rob

« Reply #2077 on: 24 June, 2018, 03:32:31 pm »
I was out marshalling the club's open 25 this morning. Very benevolent conditions - mild and hardly any wind - meant some fast times. Winner was Chris Fennell, who didn't beat his own course record of 49.50, but his 50.21 still seems pretty good to me.

I've not yet done a 25 myself but watching them this morning made me wish I was out there on my bike. I would even think about entering the KCA 25 in September, on the same course (Q25/10), except I've already entered the Fenland Friends 600 which is on the same weekend. Dammit.

Our 25 is in August Bank Holiday Sunday (Q25/12).   I’m on marshalling duty.

citoyen

« Reply #2078 on: 24 June, 2018, 04:07:09 pm »
Our 25 is in August Bank Holiday Sunday (Q25/12).   I’m on marshalling duty.

Hmmm. Tempting...

citoyen

« Reply #2079 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:07:42 am »
I won the club 10 this evening! Which is to say I was first over the finish line. That is how it works, right?

(I was #3 so was setting off among the kids and geriatrics. Proper fast boys were in the 20s.)

« Reply #2080 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »
Anyone got tips for TTing on fixed?
I've been reading Obree's book, and I've finally finished reassembling my fixie (bits and pieces built around a 531 Raleigh frame), so I fancy a go.
I can fit my clip-ons to the fixie bullbars, and I've got a 52 took chainring from when my crankset was a double (and miraculously 52-16 is around the 22mph I can do for a 10), so (assuming the 52 doesn't foul the chainstay) I think I just need a longer chain and I'm good to go. If it works and it's fun I'll get some better rolling tyres (currently on 10yo bontragers) and try the next club 10.

« Reply #2081 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:33:37 pm »
A Barnes 1-2 in the womens National TT Champs. I should really have a ride up and watch it live.

citoyen

« Reply #2082 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:42:06 pm »
I've been reading Obree's book, and I've finally finished reassembling my fixie (bits and pieces built around a 531 Raleigh frame), so I fancy a go.
I can fit my clip-ons to the fixie bullbars, and I've got a 52 took chainring from when my crankset was a double (and miraculously 52-16 is around the 22mph I can do for a 10), so (assuming the 52 doesn't foul the chainstay) I think I just need a longer chain and I'm good to go. If it works and it's fun I'll get some better rolling tyres (currently on 10yo bontragers) and try the next club 10.

I haven't got any tips but I've been thinking about doing exactly the same with my old Raleigh Royal 531 frame, which is currently hanging up on the garage wall.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2083 on: 28 June, 2018, 01:22:59 pm »
Keep pedalling as you cross the finish line!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2084 on: 28 June, 2018, 01:33:57 pm »

I haven't got any tips but I've been thinking about doing exactly the same with my old Raleigh Royal 531 frame, which is currently hanging up on the garage wall.
Do it. :)
I think you're a bit faster than me, so you'll need a bigger gear though. I resprayed my bike, so it's all shiny... :)
2018-06-22_09-05-04 by duncancmartin, on Flickr

« Reply #2085 on: 28 June, 2018, 01:35:56 pm »
You're losing watts with that front QR.

citoyen

« Reply #2086 on: 28 June, 2018, 01:49:19 pm »
I think you're a bit faster than me

I averaged a fraction under 22mph on last night's 10, so maybe not on current form.

« Reply #2087 on: 29 June, 2018, 02:53:14 pm »
I think you're a bit faster than me, so you'll need a bigger gear though. I resprayed my bike, so it's all shiny... :)
Nice bike, but whack the stem down, won't ya?

« Reply #2088 on: 29 June, 2018, 03:04:51 pm »
Nice bike, but whack the stem down, won't ya?
Yeah, that is how it was when I  finished building it last week. This weekend it will be getting the stem slammed, along with a big chainring, clip-ons and my TT saddle. I'll change the front QR orientation as well. ;) Then we'll see how well it goes.
Edit - it's amazing how big the chainring looks!
2018-06-29_10-19-06 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
There's a grrr, grrr, grrr on the pedal stroke - I thought it was the way that the old chainring was peened over in places, but a new chainring and a new chain means the only thing it can be is flex causing a distortion or the sprocket (don't think it's that, seems to happen on each pedal stroke, and I've changed the ratio).

« Reply #2089 on: 30 June, 2018, 11:09:50 am »
Good effort!  See how you go and take it easy at the roundabouts, but I would find that quite a big gear.  Having said that, I tend to enter longer events (so tire after a while) and have fairly feeble legs.  Riding 23mph on a 10 does not feel too spinny if you go down to 81".

citoyen

« Reply #2090 on: 30 June, 2018, 12:45:01 pm »
There's a grrr, grrr, grrr on the pedal stroke - I thought it was the way that the old chainring was peened over in places, but a new chainring and a new chain means the only thing it can be is flex causing a distortion or the sprocket

Sure it's not a dodgy chainline? This proved to be the cause of a noisy drivetrain on one of my bikes. And it wasn't very far out either.

« Reply #2091 on: 30 June, 2018, 01:45:31 pm »
There's a grrr, grrr, grrr on the pedal stroke - I thought it was the way that the old chainring was peened over in places, but a new chainring and a new chain means the only thing it can be is flex causing a distortion or the sprocket

Sure it's not a dodgy chainline? This proved to be the cause of a noisy drivetrain on one of my bikes. And it wasn't very far out either.
you might get a bit of adjustment there by turning the sprocket round the other way?

« Reply #2092 on: 30 June, 2018, 05:19:07 pm »
The chainline was OK before I stripped and repainted it. I can't see the paint on the BB shell being the cause. I think the sprocket is already at the widest it can be, but I'll see whether there's some space to adjust it...
The more irritating problem I have is that the clip ons are for 31 or 26mm bars. My shiny new bullbars are ~22mm diameter, so shimming them with coke cans isn't enough, and rubber ones (like lights use) result in wobbly aero bars! 
Edit: clip ons fixed (pun intended). I had half an old MTB bar lying around, so I chopped it down the middle and then sideways, resulting in 4 semi circular shims - together with a coke can that shims it enough that it's sorted. :)
2018-06-30_08-57-02 by duncancmartin, on Flickr

rob

« Reply #2093 on: 01 July, 2018, 08:29:59 pm »
I did my first TTs on my return on a Langster with bullhorns and aero bars.   I started with an 80” gear and gradually increased.

It wasn’t very aero but light and good fun.

« Reply #2094 on: 02 July, 2018, 08:57:52 am »
The shims weren't sufficient and the bars moved on bumps, so I could only ride them on smooth bits! Despite the wind and heat I was still faster (on this course) than all previous solo rides on a geared bike! :) Need to fix the shimming issue and then try some actual TTs.
Sadly that will be a little while as I then sprained my foot playing football with my daughter and can't ride for a bit! :(

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #2095 on: 07 July, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »
Massive rides by Alice and Adam.  LEJOG and both the men's and women's 12 records all in one day, wow!

I have entered the EDCA 100, hopefully I'll get in with my 4:32,  then the Breckland 12 and. finally if all goes well I'll be looking for a fast 50 to secure a BBAR cert.

If you can make it up to Yorkshire for the Otley 50 Rob isn't doing anymore, that will be fast.  At the end of the season there is usually a Yorkshire event on a short version of the same course, but which is still usually a bit faster than the Breckland the week after.

My only free weekend until August...entered!  ;)

Race was cancelled but Mrs PC drove me up today so I can ride back to Oundle tomorrow.

Then a week to taper before the EDCA 100 next week.

rob

« Reply #2096 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:41:14 pm »

Then a week to taper before the EDCA 100 next week.

Shocking year for events being cancelled.   Looks like the YCF 100 is also off.

See you in Norfolk next weekend.   My last shot at a 100 this year.

rob

« Reply #2097 on: 15 July, 2018, 08:37:13 pm »
After a couple of disappointments and revisiting goals for the year I arrived at the EDCA 100 this morning a little pensive.  The forecast was good with little wind but rising temps towards the end.   I had persuaded my family to hand up 3 bottles during the ride.

What happened in the end was probably my best ever execution of a TT.  HR in the right zones but keeping a lid on the effort.   Fuelling and hydration absolutely spot on and a negative split, hammering the last 10 Miles.

Not seen my official time but the Garmin had a long 3:46 as I crossed the line.  Big PB and a new club record.   Shattered but very satisfied.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2098 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:42:27 pm »
Congratulations, you've certainly worked hard enough for it. What is next on the list?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2099 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:44:24 pm »
Congratulations, you've certainly worked hard enough for it. What is next on the list?

He's going to try to get under 24hrs for the ... er ... hang-on ...