Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228762 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #825 on: 15 November, 2016, 12:43:11 pm »
Yes, from Vancouver.  Their latest album "IV" is really good. The keyboards were brilliant, really adding to the atmosphere of the tracks. The lead singer seemed a bit distant though, that maybe just her style.  If you like them and you've not got IV, I'd highly recommend.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #826 on: 15 November, 2016, 01:10:56 pm »
Ta, I shall Investigate :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #827 on: 17 November, 2016, 10:19:50 pm »
New Model Army at the Concorde 2 in Brighton. Met an old friend, sang, danced and had a jolly good time - though, to be frank, its upsetting that songs like Purity and 51st State remain relevant. If I'm being critical the drums and the band didn't always feel quite together, and there was some rather "metal" hair spinning, but a packed room singing as one with the band carried the night by a long way. Violin player was also very good and the band really benefits from that.

« Reply #828 on: 20 November, 2016, 01:27:57 pm »
TOY at the Haunt in Brighton last night. They were a pretty good version of themselves, but it was a bit odd...
It was all quite early - 745 support on, TOY finished at 10 - I think the venue becomes a club later.
I had the *only* pint (bottle) of bitter they had stocked at the bar (I don't count Guinness). Why have only one???
I was standing near the sound desk, and the engineer was having a bad night. All of the band wanted to be louder in the monitors and he was gesticulating back that they were as high as they could go. Eventually he threw his headphones off. To his credit, he was clearly working the mix for each song and their style is pretty full on, so there isn't much of a sonic gap to put an individual into.
They did a good set of new and better known songs, and despite the sound issues carried the music pretty well. The place was busy, but the crowd made almost zero effort to get an encore. Which was odd. So at 10 we all kind of drifted off into the night.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #829 on: 23 November, 2016, 11:14:19 pm »
Just on my way home from seeing Rachel Sermanni... What a stunningly intimate gig. It was at Holy Trinity in Hull, there seemed to be only a small audience so we all crammed into the sanctuary. Her voice soars... is haunting... and suited the venue perfectly.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #830 on: 23 November, 2016, 11:34:48 pm »
Tonight, Show  Of Hands with support from Megan Henwood. SOH were excellent as ever, but MH was amazing, brilliant voice. She joined Steve Knightley for a rendition of Suzanne and it was heart rendingly good.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #831 on: 24 November, 2016, 11:06:09 am »
Lake Street Drive, at the Hove place-thingy Can't remember the precise name of it now, but was a couple of weeks ago. Fab. Lead singer's got a HUGE voice and fab vocal range. There's other songs to choose from on YouTube, but here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcVbkiVZg7U
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #832 on: 24 November, 2016, 12:00:22 pm »
Not music but Ned Boulting's Bikeology at the Clapham Grand last night.

An amusing, irreverent and sometimes poignant look at the activity and sport we love.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #833 on: 27 November, 2016, 08:45:07 pm »
The Green Rock River Band, in a brewery in darkest Sussex.

Described by themselves as "Wonky Tonk Doom Folk" they are a 7 or 8 piece band, including trombone, banjo and washboard.  Last night was a benefit for the utterly deserving David Nott Foundation.

Go and see them if you get a chance.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #834 on: 29 November, 2016, 11:18:40 am »
On Friday myself and my younger brother trotted off to that there Manchester, to see Terrorvision play.

The gig was at the O2 Ritz, the last time I had been there was to see Elvis Costello, which was a very sedate, seated affair wherein Mr Costello appeared to get his braces caught in the piano lid as he kept coming back again and again, even though no one was calling for an encore!

Anyways, due to various reasons I had ended up with 2 spare tickets.  There was no takers for them at face value, and I _hate_ wasting gig tickets (especially for a band as good as this, live), so posted on here and Si snapped my hand off for them!

The journey over was uneventful, we checked in then waited in the bar for Si to turn up.  The beer was crap, if you ever have to go to the Copthorne in Manchester, stick to bottles!

Food was consumed, as was more beer.  We found out, via the Terrorvision FB fan page, where every one was meeting (for future reference, The Salisbury, which offers 50p/pint off if you show your gig ticket).  We got chatting to a few people and thus missed about half of the support band's set*.  What we did see was very good, but a bit too middle of the road for my liking.

A couple more beers and the main band came on.  If you haven't seen them play before you will not be prepared for the energy they project from note one through the dying chords.  It is not uncommon to see people drenched in sweat by the end of the gig.  Friday was no different, I spent the first half of their set 3 rows from the front, bouncing around like a loon.  I then spent another couple of songs at the front and decided that my legs just couldn't do any more, so retired to the foyer to get some air and to cool down.  At some point we found a) Si and his missus b) the couple who we had been chatting with at the pub.

The band are touring to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of "Regular Urban Survivors", which makes me feel very very old (I saw them on the original tour and bought the CD the day it came out!).  This meant the first part of the set was made up, instead of a mish mash of the most popular songs from their back catalogue, the songs from the album, in order.  They were all there, including the never heard before live songs, Junior and Mugwump.  The second half was made up of the mish mash, including the crowd pleaser "Tequila", "Middleman" and "Oblivion".  At the end, as always, there is a feeling of elation mixed with a dash of disappointment that it is over.  We tried to cover that over by going for another beer...

The rest of the night and the next day seem to have slipped out of my mind, probably because they are so boring... :)

In short, if you get a chance, go and see them!

*Tax the Heat, from Brizzle, apparently.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #835 on: 29 November, 2016, 10:37:30 pm »
The Cure - tonight MEN- beyond superb

Edit:  Turns out Robert Smith wasn't too well!  you couldn't tell, they were on for two hours, which I understand is a bit short for them, but I've been to plenty of shorter gigs!  and it was the best gig I've been to for ages, by a long way.  They must be stunning when on top form!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #836 on: 30 November, 2016, 12:21:59 am »
King King at the Islington Assembly Hall.  Frontman Alan Nimmo has been crook with voice issues this year but is now back at full throttle.

So the bys got together and formed a band... by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Mr Nimmo frightens the audience into singing along by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

His big brother Stevie is also worth catching if you are a fans of blues-rock with a Scottish accent.

« Reply #837 on: 30 November, 2016, 11:57:44 pm »
The levellers at Barrow lands for their 25th anniversary tour of levelling the land.   Wow - that was fantastic !
Find the political stuff a bit ott now but I knew what they're all about. I'm just a bit (well 25 years) older and more mellow than when I first saw them.

Recommended.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #838 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:53:03 am »
I've been jolly lax, haven't I?

So, there was Eef at the Crescent, then the Low Anthem at Gorilla.  Hmm..  Kristen Hersh at the Crescent, Blue Rose Code in Gullivers, The Burning Hell at the Brudenell, Low in Halifax Minster and then on Saturday the SmallestCub's school choir in Selby Abbey.  I might have missed a couple...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #839 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:06:11 am »
How were Low? Wanted to see tehm at the Union Chapel last week but was working so couldn't make it :(

CrinklyLion

« Reply #840 on: 12 December, 2016, 05:27:57 pm »
Bloomin' marvellous.

Sorry...

If it helps, the loo Q was horrendous and the Minster ceiling was more interesting than the second support.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #841 on: 15 December, 2016, 08:20:21 am »
Last night was the school "carols by candlelight" featuring the SmallestCub's choir.

Then my random pick of the week - Slow Club (who were both a bit squiffy) at the Crescent with an audience of obvious fans who completely smashed the festive singalong to the obvious delight of the band.

Decent night's entertainment, that.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #842 on: 15 December, 2016, 09:29:36 am »
Three bands on Saturday in The Lower George Inn, Gloucester. Dear Skylight playing their first gig. Some nerves to start but did get better. Corrupting Josie who played with great energy a mix of covers (Paramore and Linkin Park) and their own pieces*. The headline act was Brevity Fall who put on a confident performance again a mix of covers and own work.

* I admit to bias as Corrupting Josie is Boy Wunja's band.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #843 on: 16 December, 2016, 09:55:18 pm »
Blues Pills about a month ago.  Was surprised how good Kadaver were in support.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #844 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:44:14 pm »
King Noone, at Fibbers, fulfilling the role of Officially Responsible Adult (along with the mum+partner of one of the EldestCub's mates) to accompany a gaggle of teens.

I resorted to a bottle of brown.  Then another... My word, I feel OLD.

« Reply #845 on: 08 January, 2017, 10:05:16 pm »
The Armida Quartet at the concert room in St Georges Hall, Liverpool.

Beautifully played Haydn & Beethoven

[size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N1wS2I9aCU[/size]

and then a new piece by the young Serbian composer Marko Nikodijevic which I enjoyed a lot. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CrinklyLion

« Reply #846 on: 22 January, 2017, 12:45:04 am »
The traditional Kate Rusby Christmas show, on my burfday just before Christmas and a whole month off before Friday night's random (my dice were probably a little loaded since it was a PPY gig, and stuff picked by everyone's-favourite-promoter-Joe is generally a safe bet) pick in the Basement.  Jolie Holland and Samantha Parton.  Support sent me out to the bar.  Barefoot in the basement - couldn't take him seriously.  Spent the majority of the headliners lurking on the stairs for leaning purposes in a knee-saving manner (whoever designed knees got them Wrong) which meant I could actually see.  Liked.  Today I are mostly listening to the Be Good Tanyas.

« Reply #847 on: 05 February, 2017, 02:44:29 pm »
Just for a change, I saw Half Man Half Biscuit at The Robin2 in Bilston, near Wolverhampton.

All in all, a very good gig. The mosh pit never got going in earnest, despite my attempts. A Lilac Harry Quinn made a later than usual appearance and For What is Chatteris heralded my piss break. Looking at the set list, if I could have chosen two hours' worth of their best efforts, pretty much all of them were on the list. A Per Ubu cover was part of the encore & very good it was too.

HMHB gigs are becoming like family reunions now, although I'm still not sure Mr Larrington really exists in person.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #848 on: 05 February, 2017, 02:49:42 pm »
Worthing...Holmfirth...Oxford...bah!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #849 on: 05 February, 2017, 04:08:28 pm »
The Young Voices performance in the pretty much sold out Manchester Arena on Thursday.  Well, I went as staff with/part of the SmallestCub's school choir, and was therefore technically one of the performers but when there's 8annahalf thousand of 'em I think singing at the gig also counts as seeing the gig.

Although I did spend a lot of the rehearsal and performance supervising trips to the loos!