Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225649 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #875 on: 20 May, 2017, 08:53:32 am »
Hunter and the Bear

Good old rock. I thought their more anthemic songs were better.

I remembered some songs from the last time I saw them - which usually indicates good material, well perfomed!

It is simpler than it looks.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #876 on: 21 May, 2017, 12:19:28 am »
Tonight with the family: A somewhat less Rock n Roll but somewhat more Radio 4 gig...

Prof Brian Cox and Robert Ince ( Infinite Monkey Cage style ) at Aberdeen Soon-To-Be-Demolished Exhibition and Conference Centre.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #877 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:49:54 pm »
Been following my son's band around - not sure if this is being a supportive parent or just creepy ;) This weekend they played in Landsdown Hall in Stroud, on Friday evening and then at the Party in the PARC festival in Wotton.
Other than that I have the pleasure of seeing Harriet Braine perform her humorous musical routine, sending up art critics. She will be playing the Edinburgh Fringe and I recommend going along if you are there.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

rob

« Reply #878 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
Elbow at Bedgbury Pinetum Saturday night.   A blissful evening in a forest on a warm night.   

What's not to like other than the 40 minute queue to get in as they hadn't set up the entrances correctly.   Also the A21 being shut on the way home so an interesting trip through the lanes using my local knowledge - see riding bikes at a weekend can be useful at times.

« Reply #879 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:26:06 am »
Saw Eric Bell, formerly of Thin Lizzy.  Superb guitarist, and it was good to see someone walk on stage with one guitar, not even a spare on at the side, and play just using the guitar and "on-board" effects (sorry, I'm not up to speed with the terminology - the knobs and whammy bar)) - not a wa-wa pedal or bank of foot switches in sight, and yet he still got an amazing range of sounds out of it.  One of the best I've seen.  And yet Eric is probably the first Irishman I've come across who doesn't like talking - finish number, turn round, walk over to amp and take swig out of pint glass, walk back to mic and start next number.  About the only time he spoke was after the penultimate one he said "that's probably the last one we're going to do tonight, and then started on the next one which was a bit confusing.  When he finished that one he bowed to the audience and waved and then walked off and that was the last we saw of him!  Too much chat interrupts the flow of the music, but a bit of banter between numbers (yes, I know it must be the same every night) helps make the whole thin gel.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #880 on: 22 June, 2017, 12:14:44 am »
Just been to a concert at which Angus Dei by Samuel Barber was sung by a choir split into groups around the audience. One of the most remarkable performances I've ever seen.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #881 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:23:14 am »
Night two of Kraftwerk at the Albert Hall last night. Wunderbar! 3D effects very impressive- pin sharp & not cheesy in any way, great set list with a few tweaks from studio versions, excellent sound. Ralf Hütter as chatty as ever: he said something about their TDf prologue show in Dusseldorf, send-off 'Good Night. Auf wiedersehen'. I should complain, got five words not four in 2004 :)

« Reply #882 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:24:43 am »
Night two of Kraftwerk at the Albert Hall last night. Wunderbar! 3D effects very impressive- pin sharp & not cheesy in any way, great set list with a few tweaks from studio versions, excellent sound. Ralf Hütter as chatty as ever: he said something about their TDf prologue show in Dusseldorf, send-off 'Good Night. Auf wiedersehen'. I should complain, got five words not four in 2004 :)

Squeeeee!  I'm off to the Albert Hall tonight with MiniQ. The Grauniad has been giving this tour excellent reviews too.

Edit: they were fantastic. Major bucket list tick for me.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #883 on: 25 June, 2017, 01:52:17 pm »
Just been to a concert at which Angus Dei by Samuel Barber was sung by a choir split into groups around the audience. One of the most remarkable performances I've ever seen.

I'm sure there's an AC/DC joke in there somewhere :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #884 on: 25 June, 2017, 06:39:38 pm »
Madeline Peyroux at the Barbican a couple of weeks ago.

Accompanied only by a guitarist and double bass player, with whom she recorded her most recent album.

Just wonderful. And, as it was the 50th anniversary of Sgt Pepper, she threw in a wonderful ukulele/bass/guitar version of Getting Better.

Next gig at the moment is Deaf School in December.  I need something before that!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

fuzzy

« Reply #885 on: 25 June, 2017, 11:07:35 pm »
Jeff Lynns ELO at Wembley last night. Fecking ace :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #886 on: 09 July, 2017, 04:56:22 pm »
Midge Ure playing an acoustic set. Rather good, so I told him afterwards  ;D

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #887 on: 22 July, 2017, 12:32:52 am »
Hunter and the Bear

I remembered some songs from the last time I saw them - which usually indicates good material, well perfomed!

Missed these in Stornoway recently (my admin asst raves about them) - truth is I was too slow buying a ticket and it sold out.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #888 on: 22 July, 2017, 12:37:51 am »
Just back from the hebcelsfest - Imelda May headlining tonight, not impressed (don't think most of the crowd were either) - can't remember ever being at a gig without an encore before

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #889 on: 28 July, 2017, 11:20:24 pm »
Sorry to hear Imelda May disappointed, (we thought) she was quite good the week before.

We've just seen Goat. A rather fun Swedish costume drama. Somewhat limited in repertoire, but that's not a worry for only an hour.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #890 on: 29 July, 2017, 10:22:54 am »
Bill Laurance. Inexplicably on at 12:45, so rather late. Brilliant nonetheless. Always interesting and sometimes mesmerising. I wish I could remember the name of the standout track.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #891 on: 30 July, 2017, 05:18:47 pm »
Beating Heart.

Charitable project using music to support good causes. Wicked setting of singing African dining recordings to a hardcore bass clubbing vibe. Stunning.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #892 on: 30 July, 2017, 05:22:49 pm »
!!!

Listed as dance punk they were more funky than punky. However they had the best frontman yet. Pure energy and cheek. Much fun.

Ladysmith Black Mambazo are just doing group selfies before they go off to the stage, so I guess that's where we go next.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #893 on: 30 July, 2017, 05:28:07 pm »
Benjamin Zephaniah and the Revolutionary Minds.

Good revolutionary reggae.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #894 on: 30 July, 2017, 05:36:56 pm »
Ifriqiyya Électrique

Very intense, set with video clips on the back screen. "sufi ritual music from North Africa melding with post-industrial sounds from Europe". First time I've seen audience gasp and turn away during a set. It was probably the video clips of a goat being slaughtered.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #895 on: 30 July, 2017, 09:44:55 pm »
Nick Mulvey

Watched a few songs in the latter part of his set. Meh. His last song was "Wake Up!", which seemed quite appropriate.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #896 on: 30 July, 2017, 09:48:11 pm »
Clap! Clap!

Rip roaring relentless dj Drum 'n Bass. High levels of energy raised even more when the dj desk fell off the dais.

Standout session.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #897 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:41:18 am »
DJ Marky & MC GQ

Hmmm. Fairly standard jungle and Drum & Bass dj stuff. Blown off the stage by Clap! Clap! earlier.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #898 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:44:04 am »
Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Mesmerising set, 'weightless, dignified choral singing'.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #899 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:46:01 am »
Hunter and the Bear

Missed these in Stornoway recently (my admin asst raves about them) - truth is I was too slow buying a ticket and it sold out.

Catch them at the last Loopallu...