Author Topic: Audax Ti Frame; Van Nicholas v Enigma v Sabbath v Linskey  (Read 43517 times)

Audax Ti Frame; Van Nicholas v Enigma v Sabbath v Linskey
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:12:41 am »
I am looking at purchasing a ti audax frame from either of these four manufacturers.

Does anyone have any practical experience of them?

My notes gathered so far:

VN Yukon - possibly the best of the market
Enigma Etape - limited wheel clearances.  Slightly more expensive
Linskey Backroad - unknown details
Sabbath September - finish could be improved.

Do your views differ or would like to add anything.

Views gratefully received.
KIDDERMINSTER KILLER AND CLEE AUDAX, 22nd July; AUTUMN RIVERS, 7Tth OCt 2017:  Details & entry: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk

Re: Audax Ti Frame; Van Nicholas v Enigma v Sabbath v Linskey
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:16:07 am »
If you look at the top of the forum, there is a search function.

Worth using that, because there will be comments scattered about the forum (from The Knowledge to the Audax boards).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

The Mechanic

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:35:21 am »
C+ did a review and comparison of these frames in the last issue (not the current one)

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:06 am »
If you look at the top of the forum, there is a search function.
I'm guessing that is how Philip made his "notes". Probably.

Nevertheless, a good point. :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:57:11 am »
There's a review of my Sabbath September here and also why I chose that ahead of a Van Nich or an Enigma.

C+ did a review a couple of years ago just after I bought it. It scored fairly well but was knocked back on three points : -
  1  poor brakes (Campag something)
  2  heavy fork (can't remember)
  3  understated finish

This was of no concern for me because I didn't run with their standard build and fitted different brakes and fork. And I like the idea of understated 'cos it's less likely to get nicked.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:07:53 pm »
And there's a whole thread on Ti bike makers.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:11:27 pm »
There's a review of my Sabbath September here and also why I chose that ahead of a Van Nich or an Enigma.

Hmmm. Reasoning not included in that thread.

Enigma. Integrated headset was standard (which I didn't want), and cable adjusters were optimised for Campag (I wanted to use Shimano).

Van Nick. Hopeless character fault - I don't like to be seen following the herd, and everywhere I looked there seemed to be Van Nicks.
Rust never sleeps

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:21:26 pm »

Enigma.  cable adjusters were optimised for Campag (I wanted to use Shimano).

Van Nick. Hopeless character fault - I don't like to be seen following the herd, and everywhere I looked there seemed to be Van Nicks.

They were my considerations in rejecting the above manufacturers plus I'd noted Peli's issues with Enigma. 

In the end I went for the Lynskey frame used by Planet X for their Ti Sportive bike, which will take a rear rack (at least it could a years ago).  Plus at the time, the finish was very subtle so you can't really make out the Planet X logo.  They've now got an extra logo on the top tube but I guess a brillo pad would soon sort it out.  ;D
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:38:33 pm »

Hmmm. Reasoning not included in that thread.

Enigma. Integrated headset was standard (which I didn't want), and cable adjusters were optimised for Campag (I wanted to use Shimano).

I did consider asking Enigma to make up a frame with my required mods, but this cost more and would have resulted in a long delay in getting the frame. It wasn't stated explicitly but I got the impression that they really didn't want to point me down the bespoke route.

I also had roughly the same line of reasoning with the Condor machine. Again, a beautiful looking bike but there were a couple of niggles (for me) that I wanted changed. Each change was £100 extra and a longer wait.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 12:41:30 pm »
The people behind Lynsky started and ran litespeed for years

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »
Good luck with your selection.

I cannot add much other than to say that I have had no issues with my Van Nicholas Yukon frame at all to date, and that once I had everything to my liking in terms of components it's been a great bike to ride. I've used Shimano STIs, compact chainset to start with, now a triple, no troubles at all in terms of BB / other threads, head-tube (1x headset replacement), or other threaded holes, clearances, etc. In terms of geometry it seems very well suited to its intended purpose. The frame itself has good clearance at the back - I run 25s now but I've had 28s + SKS mudguards in the past. VN's own fork will manage 28s with guards adequately.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:05:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I have also taken a look at some of the suggested threads which provided some useful views.

As ever YACF is a good forum for gaining information and knowledge.
KIDDERMINSTER KILLER AND CLEE AUDAX, 22nd July; AUTUMN RIVERS, 7Tth OCt 2017:  Details & entry: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »
I have a sabbath ,its very very comfy. :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »
If you're prepared to wait (and it can be a very long wait) then Enigma will do custom builds to your requirements. Contrary to Hatler's experience, I found them quite happy to accommodate my requests.
I also found that the price increase over a standard frame wasn't that great.

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »
If you're prepared to wait (and it can be a very long wait) then Enigma will do custom builds to your requirements. Contrary to Hatler's experience, I found them quite happy to accommodate my requests.I also found that the price increase over a standard frame wasn't that great.

My deduction is that when I went to see them they were keen for cash flow (and an instant sale was preferable to a long delayed one), and possibly also that they were just hitting on some of the problems they experienced with extended delays for custom builds. I think the cash flow thing is probably long since past, but I couldn't say whether the other piece has been overcome. Others probably could.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »
I  have a Burls custom frame that was delivered this spring and that I made up with mainly Campy components. The frame cost £950.00. I spent around 3 weeks exchanging emails to get it exactly the way I wanted and then it took aound 5-6 week to get made (they're built in Russia) and delivered.

It was made with the lugs etc. for Audax/light touring. I also got the forks (Kinesis D07 carbon/alloy), USE Ti seatpost and Hope headset unassembled from Justin Burls and sourced the rest of the components myself.

I used it for this years Mille Miglia and for a 600K and several shorter Audaxes and found it very comfortable in comparison to my previous alloy bike.
My events: 18th Feb 2018 Willesden Reliability; 1st July 2018 3 Audaxes from Maidenhead; 8th Sep 2018 3Down

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:15 pm »
I've lusted after a Ti frame for the last couple of years but have talked to fellow riders on recent audaxes and had some mixed responses about failed welds and mis-alligned frames (on Enigmas and Van Nich). They still look beautiful though and even went into Condor the other week to see if they had any discounted 2009 frames (fat chance).  Like the sucker I am I ended up buying a new dogs b's carbon thing!  Has anyone else had problems with failed welds on Ti frames?

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 08:53:07 pm »
Nope. (Happy Sabbath September owner. Two years old and 7000 miles.)
Rust never sleeps

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
No(t yet).  :-X
Airborne Zeppelin. Six years, >18,000 miles
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 09:20:40 pm »
Nope. Airborne Valkyrie. Four years, >10,000 miles
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:07 pm »
Had no problems with my Airborne Zeppelin. 4 years, but only about 3,000 miles  :-[
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »
No welding (or other) issues with a 14,000 mile VN Aeolus frame in the three years during which I've been riding it.  :)

EDIT: much (if not most) of the rest of the bike has been replaced in that time, though.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 09:28:51 pm »
Nope.  2 XACD frames (about 5k miles each) and a Serotta (8k?)

we've done this before, havent we?

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 09:34:57 pm »
we've done this before, havent we?

I think we have  ;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »
No weld problems on my 18 month old Planet X Lynskey frame with about 6,000 miles on it.

I gave it a special clean last weekend, as I've just paid the last Bike to Work payment on it.  ;D
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein