Author Topic: Audax Ti Frame; Van Nicholas v Enigma v Sabbath v Linskey  (Read 43620 times)

Re: Audax Ti Frame; Van Nicholas v Enigma v Sabbath v Linskey
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 10:21:25 pm »
we've done this before, havent we?

I think we have  ;)

We have, but I think "misalignment" is new. First I've heard of it anyway. 4 year old (I think) Yukon, mileage unknown, no problems with the frame.

Bottom line: yes, ti frames have been known to break. Breaks can be due to design faults (similar breaks in a specific model) or crappy / incompetent welding (more common in the early days of ti). Either way, very rare in recently produced frames is my reading of the various threads on this. At least as rare as in steel frames.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 03:03:00 pm »
I had a crack in the welding above the bottom bracket on a Airborne Zeppelin frame. Maybe I was just unlucky. It was nearly 4 years old and done roughly 10000 miles.
The good people at Van Nic replaced the frame with a Zephyr frame,  which is basically the same frame, free under the warranty.
I like The Zeppelin / Zephyr frame a lot and find it a very great bike for long distance riding. I find the sloping frame less stress on the arms than say my Colnago that has a more traditional top tube.
The only issue I have with it is that it does not have mudguard eyelets.
So when I wanted to replace my ribble winter frame for something more comfortable I wanted a frame with the same geometry as the Zephyr, but with mudguard eyelets.  I looked at the Van Nic Yukon, which is a lovely frame in my opinion, but it does not have the same sloping top tube as the Zephyr, being almost horizontal. The Sabbath September came the closest , so I bought one.
I have never regretted it and if I had to choose to keep only one of my bikes it would the September.
As comfortable as the Zephyr. :thumbsup:   

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »
The first pound coin wends its way down into the savings box. Just a few to go.........
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 08:54:17 pm »
I have decided on a Sabbath September frame for my new audax bike. There is a distinct lack of anyone local to Somerset doing bike fits for this frame so I am planning on a trip to Cardiff to the nearest dealer with these facilities in the next week of two, to get my order in before VAT goes up. I am still a bit torn whether to go with a bog standard Shimano 105 groupset set-up, or whether to be a bit more risky and get an SRAM double with the wide gear range 11-32 cassette. Bars, forks, brakes and seatpost I have NFC about yet, am hoping to check out some stuff in the shop to help me decide!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »
I got a September this time last year and can thoroughly recommend as an audax machine.  Very comfortable but also pretty sprightly and really sure footed.

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 09:14:38 pm »
I got a September this time last year and can thoroughly recommend as an audax machine.  Very comfortable but also pretty sprightly and really sure footed.

That is very good to know :) I quite fancy the mirror finish with silver logos not the red and white, but am wondering if it worth paying another £200 to get it  ;D

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 09:22:10 pm »
I have decided on a Sabbath September frame for my new audax bike. There is a distinct lack of anyone local to Somerset doing bike fits for this frame so I am planning on a trip to Cardiff to the nearest dealer with these facilities in the next week of two, to get my order in before VAT goes up. I am still a bit torn whether to go with a bog standard Shimano 105 groupset set-up, or whether to be a bit more risky and get an SRAM double with the wide gear range 11-32 cassette. Bars, forks, brakes and seatpost I have NFC about yet, am hoping to check out some stuff in the shop to help me decide!

Congratulations !   How exciting. The next weeks are the longest. Once you've committed to buy, all the weeks and months spent deciding and choosing and re-deciding are all part of the fun and will have passed quickly. Once you absolutely know what you want it is then an eternity before it turns up.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 09:27:06 pm »
It somehow feels wrong to add colour to ti, couldn't even bring myself to apply my club frame sticker that I'd been saving for a new bike, not sure I'd have been keen to pay too much extra for no colour though, assuming that the silver one is etched that is.

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:18 pm »
It somehow feels wrong to add colour to ti, -
Painting a titanium bike will make it a look a bit different to all the rest.

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 09:49:13 pm »
I'm not sure if the sand blasted look quite does it for me with or without the red and white graphics. I would rather is be brushed effect or shiny. The problem I have with red is it clashes with some of my pink cycling wear  ;D

It has been pointed out to me though that the SRAM Red stuff would actually go very well with the red and white graphics on the September!

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »
Quote from: Mr Nesbitt link=topic=39382.msg790675#msg790675

....and the same as all the others   ::-)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 05:48:50 am »

That is very good to know :) I quite fancy the mirror finish with silver logos not the red and white, but am wondering if it worth paying another £200 to get it  ;D

Silly question - of course it is!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 09:35:55 am »
With the hand brushed style, it's easy to remove any marks (eg small scratches or if the brushed effect gets polished out by something rubbing maybe) using a scotchbrite pad to restore the brushed effect. With etched graphics it's best to avoid them so as not to soften them but you don't have to avoid at all costs. I'd guess that with coloured graphics it would be critical to avoid going anywhere near them with scotchbrite. Maybe with the shiny polished style you could similarly polish out any marks, not sure. Similarly, no idea about the sandblasted style.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 09:37:57 am »
Quote from: Mr Nesbitt link=topic=39382.msg790675#msg790675

....and the same as all the others   ::-)

Zackly.  I want to enjoy riding a Ti bike without anyone else relieving me of it for an unauthorised ride of their own.  If it's painted, I'm likely to keep it for longer, and that's what's most important.
Getting there...

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 09:41:46 am »
I think bike thieves take what is presented to them as nickable. They may take bigger risks for higher value stuff, in which case put a Sora groupset on it.

Alternatively don't leave the thing lying around.  ;)

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 09:42:19 am »
With the hand brushed style, it's easy to remove any marks (eg small scratches or if the brushed effect gets polished out by something rubbing maybe) using a scotchbrite pad to restore the brushed effect. With etched graphics it's best to avoid them so as not to soften them but you don't have to avoid at all costs. I'd guess that with coloured graphics it would be critical to avoid going anywhere near them with scotchbrite. Maybe with the shiny polished style you could similarly polish out any marks, not sure. Similarly, no idea about the sandblasted style.

That's useful info! I hadn't really considered any factor other than appearance yet. I think Sabbath can doa  logo that is just silver rather than actually etched although they do have an etched option. Are you saying that etched is a bad idea for the frame strength?

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 10:16:05 am »
No IMHO etching is good - like I said, I'm not keen on adding paint or vinyl to Ti but that's just personal preference and probably irrational. What I meant is that when restoring hand brushing, if your graphics are etched you just need to be reasonably careful, if you have painted or vinyl graphics you'd have to be very very careful. It sounds like the sabbath silver graphics are vinyl.

If you went for the polished effect, assuming it's feasible to polish out any marks, I would have thought that this would be less of a threat to vinyl graphics than hand brushing.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 10:19:53 am »
Of course plan A is not to mark the frame at all  ;D

My current frame has various little dings where it's fallen over against walls, been clouted by my cleats while falling off etc etc, but I am hoping I have done most of my sillies and learned from them a bit so I can look after my Ti frame. Or something.

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 11:22:46 am »
I love my Enigma.  If I had the money I would buy a top end Ti/Carbon Enigma and sell my TCR.
I also like the fact that it is a bare frame.  I can then add what ever  blue Hope parts I can find to give it the highlights of my choice.  ;D
Enigma service was ace.  Friendly, informative, patient.  I couldn't have asked for more.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »
Start with the sand blast, then when you're bored of that change to brushed, then polished...........

I thought that the finish choice was about £50 more...not £200 or am I missing something?

I love Sram now that I am use to the double tap set up.....when I upgrade on the road bike from Rival to Force or Red (I wish) I may replace the campag on my winter bike with it  :o

I urge you, if you haven't already, to talk direct to Sabbath...I sent them my measurements and they spec'd the size.  All via email.  I had a call from the guy building my bike to discuss the finer detail whilst it was on his bench.......then a call from owner Greg after a few weeks to ensure everything was okay.  whether now they are selling through the likes of Evans that you'd get this level of service, I'm not sure, but I was so impressed, and took great comfort from this considering the amount of money I was parting with (a lot to me anyway).

Oh, and the £50% crash replacement policy also gave me comfort, considering how bad I ride a bike  ;D

Great bikes, great company too

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 07:21:12 pm »
On-One are about to enter the fray with their Ti Tourer which I suppose will be a more robust version of the Planet X but with disc brake/hub gear options
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:38 pm »
On-One are about to enter the fray with their Ti Tourer which I suppose will be a more robust version of the Planet X but with disc brake/hub gear options

why did they keep that seat stay design?.. surely there are more elegant ways to accomodate bigger tyres.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 08:09:24 pm »
I have to say I am very very happy with the appearance of my new frame. I think the extra spendiness of the brushed finish and laser etched graphics was well worth it  ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »

That looks like a very interesting frame.  I would guess that the geometry won't be Vorsprung friendly though.  They'll make it too long and not high enough

The tyre clearances look fantastic.  People in the comments are hoping for Big Apple 29er clearances, which is pretty much a 700 x 60mm.  That even beats a Cotic Roadrat.
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
Nice, well done for going for unadulterated metal. Should be a comfy mile-eater, what are your plans for building her up?