Author Topic: Audax Ti Frame; Van Nicholas v Enigma v Sabbath v Linskey  (Read 43667 times)

Re: Audax Ti Frame; Van Nicholas v Enigma v Sabbath v Linskey
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »
Nice, well done for going for unadulterated metal. Should be a comfy mile-eater, what are your plans for building her up?

SRAM Apex but with SRAM XX chainset instead of the Apex one. Shimano 650 brakes, SKS black mudguards, shallow drop bars, carbon forks that came with the frame, carbon seatpost and Brooks B17 saddle :)
I will hopefully be able to post pics of it built up in a couple of weeks!

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 09:19:07 pm »
As noted elsewhere, Spa Cycles is now selling Ti audax bikes as well as Ti tourers. I like the somewhat industrial look of the audax frame.

The On-One is interesting. I presume the bolt-on dropouts are to enable the frame to be built up in different ways, with different dropouts depending on brakes & gears or lack thereof.

I urge you, if you haven't already, to talk direct to Sabbath...I sent them my measurements and they spec'd the size.  All via email.  I had a call from the guy building my bike to discuss the finer detail whilst it was on his bench.......then a call from owner Greg after a few weeks to ensure everything was okay. 
In hindsight, I think I should have gone to Sabbath instead of Enigma. Nothing wrong with the quality of the Enigma (it's lovely), but the difficulties I had with them, getting the wrong clearances despite them being told exactly what was wanted, & taking ages to sort it out.

I've had some communication with Greg Roche, & he strikes me as a good bloke to deal with.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Fast Bill

• Per titanium ad tea room
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 04:37:16 pm »
I have to say I am very very happy with the appearance of my new frame. I think the extra spendiness of the brushed finish and laser etched graphics was well worth it  ;D

I love my September but I certainly envy you those graphics  :thumbsup:
Apex predator of fruit cake

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 09:45:50 pm »
@ microphonie

Following on from your mention of the On-One Ti Tourer, checked out the details, pretty sparse atm, and posted a query along the lines of when/what/where/how/why and this is their reply as of yesterday:-

"Hi Frere, these are due to go into production with an expected arrival date of mid October."

Just in time for winter I guess, which some are already predicting to be worse than the previous three...

Frere

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 10:14:22 pm »
Enigma are English.  Jim Walker is really easy to deal with.
C+ ranked the Enigma ahead of the rest.
Each to their own but I find mine very very comfortable.
So much so that if I had my time over again I wouldn't bother with a carbon bike - I'd just get an even higher end ti one - from Enigma. ;D

AndyH

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 11:11:53 pm »
+1 to that.

I haven't had to take any form of painkiller
since riding my Enigma

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2011, 06:39:23 pm »
First ride on my brand new Yukon today (apart from little spins out from the shop)
I've not tried the others but the Yukon is just gorgeous to ride, I was averaging over 16 mph for the first couple of hours (until I got into the South Downs and the rain started) where I would normally struggle to average 13 mph on my much beloved and highly modified Reynolds 531 previous "best bike".

Fortunately wife was out when I got back so I was able to bring it in to the kitchen to wipe it down!

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
You'll be easy to spot.  You will be the one looking like a Cheshire Cat  ;D

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2011, 02:58:00 pm »
Not wrong there !

Gratuitous scenery shot ....

slohill

• still at it
Re: Audax Ti Frame; Burls
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 05:39:44 pm »
After much thought and research, I ordered a bespoke ti frame from Burls in summer 2009 as my retirement present.  In particular I requested the same geometry as my Colnago Master Olympic (58cm) as it was the best handling, most comfortable bike I had ever ridden and downtube bosses for gearlevers.  Justin checked with the factory in Russia where these bikes are made and they confirmed that what works in steel also works in ti.  Justin agreed all measurements and fittings with me (inc Easton carbon forks---v.good); the bike arrived 2 months after ordering in October 2009.  Since then it has done a RRTY 200 series, visited the Alps and Pyrenees and has been in daily use for audax and club rides.  I can honestly say that the bike has given me superb service and is still totally in one piece after 10,000+ miles.  I have now sold my carbon fibre bike as it remained in the garage whist I rode my equally light but much structurally stronger ti bike. :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Eureka Excursions (April 21 2018).  "Tour of Berwyns" & Panorama Prospect (May 19 2018)   Momma rides; (Sept 1 2018).  Classic, hilly Perms always available.

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2012, 07:59:26 pm »
Just bought a Litespeed Xicon (my first titanium), why have i been messing around all these years on carbon/steel/alu (well price probably!).  However, what a cracking ride it is on titanium,  consider me suitably married. :thumbsup:

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries Cycling
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2013, 11:01:36 pm »
Following the demise of my Van Nicholas Yukon frame, I've replaced it with a Lynskey Sportive and built up with the parts from the Yukon. I've written a review here http://www.twoberries.com/?p=93

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »
Does anyone know what happened following the launch of the Lynskey Silver Series bikes and frames announced in April? No one seems to list them at all - I very much liked the look of the Viale frame as a Yukon alternative, which I had been considering but was not too enamoured of the very traditional looking diamond frame.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2014, 04:53:43 pm »
Heh, interesting thread.  I've just gone down the custom build route, got a call from the LBS today and they're recommending either an Enigma Etap or Sabbath September titanium frame.  I googled them and it brought me here, who'd a thunk it  ;D
Look out here I come!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2014, 09:21:14 pm »
Until recently I'd say burls seem ok but I've heard of breakage of them too and the political risks in Russia have cranked up

I hear that 953 is good
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2014, 09:23:29 pm »
Been pondering this for a while and now wondering about 953 mmm.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2014, 07:23:46 am »
Not wrong there !

Gratuitous scenery shot ....

PpPretty bike and scenery!

Where is that?

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2014, 11:26:04 am »
PpPretty bike and scenery!
Where is that?
Southern(ish) Lake District somewhere... might be Little Langdale, can't recall exactly where.
I see I still had the original Fulcrum wheels on at that time so it was early 2011. 
I put some handbuilts on a few months later (just before my first 300km) and it's done 15 000km since.

caerau

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »
Well I seem to have settled upon a new bike made for my own geometry with a Sabbath September Ti frame and open pro hub wheels, 105 groupset.  Deposit paid -  Ooh the excitement  ;D
Look out here I come!

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:34 pm »
That's what I got a year ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. I did specify a MTB chainset though to get a triple and enough low gears :thumbsup:
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

caerau

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2014, 04:43:01 pm »
I've gone for a road triple myself.  Low gears are what I need most for the climbing being a large chap, but I do like to get out the high gears and burn rubber on the flat and downhill.

The lowest gears on it (I think 26ish x 32 ) should be plenty low enough I think.
Look out here I come!

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2014, 07:31:32 pm »
Ah ok, that's lower than mine! I meant MTB chain rings and I have a road rear (ooo err). I have a 26  27 as my lowest. Which is good as any lower than a 26" gear is 24" inch and I'm walking.   ;)
The reason I went with Sabbath is, being aware of the breakage issue (I'm quite hefty), I read a report where Sabbath replaced a broken frame within a week, which compares extremely well to other manufacturers I've heard of. Mind you, I hope to never have to use this part of after sales.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

Phil W

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »
My Van Nicholas Yukon is just past 50,000 miles. It to is under a lifetime warranty.

caerau

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2014, 12:01:12 am »
Ah ok, that's lower than mine! I meant MTB chain rings and I have a road rear (ooo err). I have a 26  27 as my lowest. Which is good as any lower than a 26" gear is 24" inch and I'm walking.   ;)
The reason I went with Sabbath is, being aware of the breakage issue (I'm quite hefty), I read a report where Sabbath replaced a broken frame within a week, which compares extremely well to other manufacturers I've heard of. Mind you, I hope to never have to use this part of after sales.

Yeah I know you meant MTB triple - to be fair they're fitting a 105 groupset and as far as I can tell it will be 30t on the front small chainring.

I have an ultegtra cassette that goes to 32t already though so 30 x 32 it will be - much better than my previous bike where 34x28 was lowest and really not low enough for me on the worst slopes.
Look out here I come!

caerau

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2014, 12:05:14 pm »
Heh, I just got a call from the shop it seems they now prefer to order an Enigma Etap frame as it's better suited to my geometry (short legs, long torso - yay, I'm sooo built for cycling  :facepalm:  ;))

Looking over all the threads and reviews I've seen, I had a hard time choosing between the Etap and the September frames so I'm happy with either, so the Etap it will be...
Look out here I come!