Author Topic: Genesis Croix de Fer  (Read 40759 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Genesis Croix de Fer
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2017, 12:20:08 pm »
Any   views on a Tour De  Fer  as opposed  to Croix De Der... Other than one  will have mudguards and a rack.
The TDF has touring racks, has a proper touring triple chainset (giving a 32/30 rear/front ratio) which is a bit, better than the stock CDF double for general riding. Only just low enough for touring but at least it gives a range of lowish gears for laden hill riding. Would have been better with a 34 on the back or 26 on the front (best setup ever was 46 36 26 on front, IMO).

TRP Spyre-C cable brakes rather than hydraulics

Heavy duty rims and marathon tyres.

So it is 'proper' touring bike.

There are loads of CDF models now; it gets well confusing.
I saw a TDF of Sunday and was able to do a side-by-side comparison. The key frame difference is that the chain stays are longer on the Tour de Fer, giving more foot/pannier clearance and probably a more comfortable ride.
(NB. No point in comparing components, as mine was built up from a bare frame.)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2017, 12:47:45 pm »

The TDF has ... a proper touring triple chainset (giving a 32/30 rear/front ratio) which is a bit, better than the stock CDF double for general riding. Only just low enough for touring but at least it gives a range of lowish gears for laden hill riding. Would have been better with a 34 on the back or 26 on the front (best setup ever was 46 36 26 on front, IMO).

Somewhere recently (perhaps even on here) I saw a Wolf Tooth hanger extender.  This displaces the rear mech sufficiently to allow larger sprockets than standard to be fitted - up to 40T I believe, using a medium cage Shimano mech.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Wolf-Tooth-Components/Road-Link-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger/DOQG?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-7S0sOb-1QIVWc-yCh1U6gvMEAQYASABEgIGa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It may well be something I look at for my next build.
That's an interesting device, but it won't help to increase tooth capacity.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2017, 12:51:08 pm »
Somewhere recently (perhaps even on here) I saw a Wolf Tooth hanger extender.  This displaces the rear mech sufficiently to allow larger sprockets than standard to be fitted - up to 40T I believe, using a medium cage Shimano mech.

Wolf Tooth also do the Tanpan, which allows you do use a mountain bike rear mech with 11 speed road shifters. Might be a neater option if building from scratch, and you get bonus clutched derailleur goodness. I plan to use one or the other of these in my next bike.

edit: @mrcharly - Tanpan also means you can use derailleurs which officially have the capacity for big cassettes with a double. Latest Ultegra RD has 39T capacity already though, which is quite decent. I'm thinking I'll run 34/46 up front with 11-40 out back, so that's only 2 teeth over.

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »
Any   views on a Tour De  Fer  as opposed  to Croix De Der... Other than one  will have mudguards and a rack.
The TDF has touring racks, has a proper touring triple chainset (giving a 32/30 rear/front ratio) which is a bit, better than the stock CDF double for general riding. Only just low enough for touring but at least it gives a range of lowish gears for laden hill riding. Would have been better with a 34 on the back or 26 on the front (best setup ever was 46 36 26 on front, IMO).

I saw a TDF of Sunday and was able to do a side-by-side comparison. The key frame difference is that the chain stays are longer on the Tour de Fer, giving more foot/pannier clearance and probably a more comfortable ride.

Yeah I haven't compared components as I built my CDF into a touring bike with most of the parts available on the TDF anyway including a triple groupset.

The CDF isn't exactly uncomfortable. I spent 67 hours on mine over 880km last month and could still walk at the end (not all at once it was about 50km a day). My heels didn't hit the panniers once either.

Horses for courses but I think Genesis thought they were missing a market group so built one for the sake of it.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2017, 07:21:35 am »

My 52cm CdF has Toe Clip Overlap without mudguards, for touring I would be looking for a bike with mudguards and no TCO, especially when toiling up steep hills with a loaded bike.

If the TdF has the same geometry as the CdF at the front then I would avoid.

« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:18 pm »
You must have huge feet and a strange foot position. I have a 52cm cdf, mudguards fitted, and the guards aren't anywhere near my toes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2017, 07:37:41 am »
You must have huge feet and a strange foot position. I have a 52cm cdf, mudguards fitted, and the guards aren't anywhere near my toes.

I wear size 42 shoes (43 in Shimano) and SPD cleats forward of centre; 170mm cranks.  The tyres are 35mm Conti Cyclocross Speeds which are quite voluminous and good for paths and tracks, maybe they are a contributing factor but not that much.

P.S. My CdF has the carbon fork which may be a different rake to the steel forks? Seems unlikely but you never know.