Author Topic: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?  (Read 64285 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?
« Reply #325 on: 16 June, 2015, 08:44:59 pm »
Thanks Ben!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #326 on: 05 July, 2015, 03:37:41 pm »
Did the re-route segment functionality go away (or become premium only)?

When I right click on a track and select Edit, I no longer see the re-route options in the menu.

You just drag it now. Either just drag the line or drag an existing white dot.

I will have a try at this for 10 minutes or so and see if I can get it to do what I want.  It used to let me reroute fairly easily and undo if I didn't want it.  First impressions are
that the new system is really faffy with the mouse like google maps is, and the undo doesn't work at all

Ben T

« Reply #327 on: 05 July, 2015, 03:57:33 pm »
few tips Jamie:
when dragging the line, wait a few seconds  for the broad purple translucent line to match the route you want to achieve, before letting go of the mouse. You have to be slightly patient with this while holding the left button down, especially if you have a slow network connection and/or are using the optimum/shortest routing methods.
'Undo' is now at the bottom of the 'edit menu'. It restores the track to how it was before you did the last operation. There is no 'Undo Last' as that was confusing people as it wasn't a proper undo, it merely removed the last segment of the track.
If you're still struggling try and isolate a specific workflow, a few steps of operation illustrating why you can't get it to do what you want and I'll see if anything can be improved.

Also , what system are you using?
- mac? If so remember gpxeditor relies on there being a difference between left and right mouse click so it could be that that's spannering you.
- mobile? I've removed reroute from the mobile functionality as it was too difficult to determine a swipe between reroute and pan, and most attempted pan operations were resulting in (unintended) reroutes. It may be incorrectly determining that you are on a mobile device if you have a touch screen monitor and drag-to-reroute doesn't work at all - if this is the case let me know and I should be able to come up with a workaround.

Would be interested to know if anybody who has a touch screen monitor is able to reroute using the mouse.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #328 on: 05 July, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »
ok I have tried it and now I've got used to it, it works fine

- I was having a problem with a particular reroute but this was due to an almost invisible section of footpath in the middle of the reroute.  Impressively, when I used walking mode this route was found.  It took me one more "go" after this to reroute the entire segment

- I have found the "undo" but I haven't tried it yet

- On a different section of map a less taxing reroute worked straight away

So it's changed but it still works as well as before.  Thank goodness.

« Reply #329 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:08:12 pm »
Hi Ben,

Just reporting back that the side menu started appearing for me on mac today. Thanks!

Does anyone else have problems with the elevation plot crashing? Quite often I get the white box and a "Generating elevation, please wait..." message that never goes away. There's no 'x' so I can't close the box and instead have to save my tracks, reload the page and then reload my tracks. Seems to happen most if I've had to use as the crow flies routing for off-road sections.

« Reply #330 on: 16 October, 2016, 01:54:57 pm »
How do you edit a part of a track. I have a number of segments and want to modify the routing in one of them. When I hold the cursor over that segment it highlights, but when I right click it de-highlights and in the 'This track: Edit: Reroute all..., is the only option i get.

Is it possible to cut out a segment and stitch in a new one, if so how?

TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #331 on: 16 October, 2016, 04:20:30 pm »
I find the easiest way to edit part of a track is to drag the part you want to edit; it'll re-route according to the method you've got selected (cycling/driving/crow/etc).

ChillyPanda

« Reply #332 on: 26 October, 2016, 07:42:24 pm »
Couple of questions.

If planning a loop, is there a shortcut to quickly join the last segment back to the start point?

Where can I find the 'Reduce' option? The help page suggests that it's under the Track->Edit menu but I can't see it. This feature would be very useful as my old eTrex has the 500-point limit.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #333 on: 07 November, 2016, 10:20:27 am »
Would be interested to know if anybody who has a touch screen monitor is able to reroute using the mouse.

I am unable to reroute using my mouse on my touchscreen laptop - trying to do so just pans the map around.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #334 on: 07 November, 2016, 07:42:56 pm »
Did I read or imagine that one of the premium route options uses OpenStreetMap data?
If so, does it use live osm data or cached?
Reason for asking is much as I love cycle.travel the update frequency is unworkable. 4 months for my last osm additions to be available on c.t, 4 minutes for me to find the next osm additions I'd like to make.
If live then my wish list has one item on it, .tcx.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #335 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:08:17 pm »
I uploaded a zipped tracklog of a 600k ride to GPXeditor today, to inspect where it went on nice OS maps.

This worked fine.
The uploaded tracklog takes on a 'glow' effect on mouse-over.

However, after a bunch of zooming with the mouse-wheel and panning, the 'glow' effect became disconnected from the tracklog, and appears offset from it.
This happened on both my home win 10 machine on Edge browser and Chrome, and on my work PC under Win7 and Chrome.
It might take a good 5 minutes of zooming and panning to break it.

The glow only appears when you mouse-over the offset place, not over the proper tracklog.
See example image...

GPXeditor by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Ben T

« Reply #336 on: 05 July, 2017, 12:45:36 pm »
If you manage to do it again, on chrome, can you press f12 and if there are any errors in the console email me them. Cheers

If there aren't any, or I don't manage to fix them, then F5ing it should fix it but keep the track.