Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 506253 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I like my sugar but I try not to eat too much.
I like my CAEK.
I usually get my nutritional information from Sainsbury's website, cos I know my way round it.
David brought in an empty can of Monster energy drink today so I thought I'd find out about it.

One 500ml can contains 60g carbs, 55g sugar and 160mg caffeine.

Sainsbury's seem to state the adult reference intake of sugar is 90g which seem a lot to me.I suppose they can then kid themselves that their sugary product don't have THAT much sugar.

All the other references I have seen suggests MUCH lower daily intakes. So they're selling sugary stuffs pretending they're OK.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Not sure where else you've been looking, but NHS Choices reckons 90g too.

Quote from: NHS Choices
As part of a healthy balanced diet, an adult's reference intakes ("RIs") for a day are:

Energy: 8,400 kJ/2,000kcal
Total fat: 70g
Saturates: 20g
Carbohydrate: 260g
Total sugars: 90g
Protein: 50g
Salt: 6g

The RI for total sugars includes sugars from milk and sugars contained in fruit, as well as added sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Not sure where else you've been looking, but NHS Choices reckons 90g too.

Quote from: NHS Choices
As part of a healthy balanced diet, an adult's reference intakes ("RIs") for a day are:

Energy: 8,400 kJ/2,000kcal
Total fat: 70g
Saturates: 20g
Carbohydrate: 260g
Total sugars: 90g
Protein: 50g
Salt: 6g

The RI for total sugars includes sugars from milk and sugars contained in fruit, as well as added sugar.

The next page on the same site http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1139.aspx?categoryid=51&subcategoryid=167 suggests no more than 30g 'added sugars' per day and a can of Monster has nearly twice that amount.

I suppose it's the semantics of 'total sugar' and 'added sugar'.

Yes, I think it's only ever the 'total sugars' number that gets quoted on packaging.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
This, in my opinion, is being creative with the actualité...

I have just eaten at "Mr Chilli" , a Liverpool Sichuan restaurant.  True to it's  name, each of the dishes we ordered was liberally sprinkled, with chopped fresh, sliced dried or crushed chillies .  The portions were massive & we over ordered.  I now feel like John Hurt, midway through "Alien".  For 2 of us, 3 starters, 2 main courses, rice & a veggie dish, 4 bottles of Tiger £51.     I didn't notice Jay Rayner at any of the tables... ;)   Some very odd things on the menu though.  Every type of innard imaginable...

Not my pics https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487b2121494b3741:0xb81564e2aa2179c0!2m19!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m13!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!3m1!7e115!4shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname%3D103205826917404015454%26id%3D6334154175424313922%26target%3DPHOTO!5smr+chilli+liverpool+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-HdgxY-Wrr94/V-dvqaq5OkI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/KVGHaZ-e1F8QtnQKMeAL_BZ4vEjTNK14wCJkC&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx-a7XsKLTAhVIIMAKHdSNB3cQoioIgAEwCg
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's sent me more than I ordered: I ordered
3 Conference pears and received 5
0.5kg carrots and received >1kg
4 Easy Peelers and received 7
1kg Bramleys and received >1.5kg

I don't really have the fridge space but managed to squeeze in excess stuffs.

I am getting a £5 refund voucher as I complained.

We try to waste little food and mostly succeed but I decided to complain about this on a point of principle. An extra 30p's worth of carrot is no great deal until there's a struggle to close the fridge.

Don't think I'll be ordering more food till after Mayday.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Ikea cheese is weird and oddly waxy.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Wait until you've tried a Laughing Cow wardrobe.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Wait until you've tried a Laughing Cow wardrobe.

Probably waxy too.  But a great strap line.
La vache qui stash.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Left overs of last night's kedgeree, when eaten cold, make an excellent breakfast.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Talking of food that is weird and oddly waxy: my brother-in-law's mother-in-law (that's my wife's brother's wife's mother, got that?) recently ate a tempting jelly she found in their kitchen. She had half and wanted to eat the rest the next day, at which point her grandson wanted to know what had happened to the silicone wax candle mixed with sand he'd made in school art class...

:D ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It never occurred to me to slice open an avocado on anything other than a plate or cutting board.

Now plastic surgeons are seeing around four serious hand injuries per week and want warning labels put onto avocados to prevent 'avocado hand'.

Oh dear!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-39890204/avocado-hand-health-warning

Barbara (who is a chef) says two things cause cuts in the kitchen 1. A knife that is not kept properly sharp and 2. A lack of respect for the knife. I have a Nakiri which is so sharp it is incredible, no wine in the kitchen when using that.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My Daddy instructed me to 'always cut away from the body' from a very young age.
It's never been an issue for me.

Is the lack of practical subjects in schools producing a klutz generation who can't be trusted with any kind of tool?

I fear so, apart from the disgusting departure of the arts from schools the thing the government should be taken to task for is not teaching Domestic Science, the obesity problem would be reduced dramatically if both male and female pupils were taught this subject, imagine people leaving school being able to care from themselves in an informed way, heaven forbid.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Cudzoziemiec

The avocado thing is just needlessly giving an overly specific name to cutting in a stupid fashion. Cut away from the body, obvs. OTOH I've noted that [it's very common in Polish villages to cut bread holding it against your chest, and Eric Newby writes about Italian villagers doing the same.

Cudzoziemiec

I fear so, apart from the disgusting departure of the arts from schools the thing the government should be taken to task for is not teaching Domestic Science, the obesity problem would be reduced dramatically if both male and female pupils were taught this subject, imagine people leaving school being able to care from themselves in an informed way, heaven forbid.
They call it Food Tech nowadays and the things my son has cooked at school are far tastier than what my sister made in Domestic Science (or was it Home Economics?) back in the 80s. I never did any school cooking cos boy just like she never did metalwork and woodwork but that thankfully is in the past.

Indeed a very old fashioned/workers way of cutting bread

They call it Food Tech nowadays and the things my son has cooked at school are far tastier than what my sister made in Domestic Science (or was it Home Economics?) back in the 80s. I never did any school cooking cos boy just like she never did metalwork and woodwork but that thankfully is in the past.

Strange, it doesn't appear to be a general thing. As a lad I had to needlework but strangely not anything to do with cooking, shame as I was absolutely no good at woodwork

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I started my secondary school career at a mixed comp and did cookery and needlework. I was rubbish at the latter, but very good at the cookery - in fact, I usually came top of the class, with all the girls after me then the rest of the boys. Most of the girls were better than me at metalwork though.

I like to think I have pretty good knife skills but I'm prone to the occasional lapse of good sense. Got a deep cut in the joint of one of my fingers a couple of weeks ago when I tried to cut something while holding it in my hand and it didn't provide as much resistance as I was expecting. Can't remember what it was but it wasn't an avocado.

Being in the joint, the cut has taken ages to heal.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Home economics. It was awesome. I made blancmange. I'm not sure I progressed far beyond that culinary epitome, but it's the emperor of desserts, so I was pretty much at the top of the mountain already. Regular readers (I'm sorry) will note there's an awful lot of things I'm not very good at. Somewhere there's something I'm really good at but I haven't found it yet. Don't be sad, there's a few years left in me yet. I'll get there. Probably as I terminally teeter on the edge of my mortal coil.

I made a big beanbag for sitting on in whatever needlework was called in the 80s. My dad promptly sat on it and it exploded its polystyrene guts everywhere. I think that was a more a reflection on my dad's love of pork pies than my skills with a needle. I think I made an apron too. I got lazy with sewing because my mum was a lockstitcher and a ninja with a sewing machine.

I also did CDT which I believe was craft design and technology but was mostly involved a rather singed teacher telling us to put the big flame thrower down. And Mad Bill* spent the entire three years lathing crossbolt bolts (by the third year he was probably on WMDs). I go an O level in that. My final year project was a 'painting area' which was basically a box that you could spray paint things in. When no one was looking rather than bother with fancy dovetail joints I just nailed everything together and then put lots of paint on top so they couldn't tell. I am marginally good at subterfuge. That's why I had to discontinue my confession thread because really it was just going to me confessing my long list of sins.

I'm not so bad with a knife. But I'm better with stupid. Once upon a time, as I stood proudly on the cliff of achievement regarding the completion of my PhD, I carefully stacked the four (or was it five) printed copies of my thesis. To transport them to the binders I put all the paper in a discarded box, the kind that reams of paper come in. But there was too much box. What to do? I glanced around, what's that, the green fabric of a distantly used dissection kit (that last saw action in a cadaver's guts)? Scalpel! So yes, I have a nice scar along the meaty base of my thumb and I had to reprint 1200 pages and dispose of a lot of bloodstained paperwork. And I probably risked being turned into a zombie, which aren't even scary.

*he was famous for running at the classroom wall head first and going right through to his shoulders. No one had any idea why he was called Bill as his name was Michael. The army wouldn't have him, not even as ordnance.

Cudzoziemiec

And Mad Bill* spent the entire three years lathing crossbolt bolts (by the third year he was probably on WMDs). I go an O level in that.
You have an O level in WMD? For some reason, I believe you.

ian

That was Mad Bill. I'm not sure he got an O level in anything. He was, charitably speaking, emotionally unstable. He'd fight his own shadow.

Though the US might classify my 'painting and modelling area' as a WMD. They have a lax definition of such things.