Author Topic: [LEL17] Bag Drops  (Read 46637 times)

Re: Bag Drops
« Reply #250 on: 30 March, 2017, 05:05:49 pm »
I'm sending a bag to Edinburgh because my plan is to sleep there on the second night, in order to ride to Traquair and Eskdalemuir in the morning. I'll probably ride the Moffat - Edinburgh leg in the dark, at least the last part of it. Can it be as dangerous as the following two, so that you would suggest not to ride it in the dark either, in case of bad weather?

Under normal weather conditons all the Scottish legs are great to ride in the dark. The conditions in 2009 were very special, weather warning etc.
Just south of Scotland it looked like this during the famous night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J55CwWeLQZo

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #251 on: 29 June, 2017, 01:04:40 pm »
Do the bags have shoulder straps like a regular draw string bag, and are there any restrictions on taking them from the controls on your return leg ?

The reason for asking is I have friends / family who are reasonably local to both my drop locations, i'm thinking of taking a small diversion off route after the control and handing it over to them.
My last drop is Spalding, and I have an early start time so want to avoid a long wait at the finish for them to be returned.

LMT

« Reply #252 on: 29 June, 2017, 01:16:43 pm »
Do the bags have shoulder straps like a regular draw string bag, and are there any restrictions on taking them from the controls on your return leg ?

The reason for asking is I have friends / family who are reasonably local to both my drop locations, i'm thinking of taking a small diversion off route after the control and handing it over to them.
My last drop is Spalding, and I have an early start time so want to avoid a long wait at the finish for them to be returned.

If it is the same sort of bag that you get on PBP then no. Unless you count the drawstrings as straps.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #253 on: 29 June, 2017, 01:52:57 pm »

They have a draw string on a single side at the top.   No reason at all why you should not retain a bag from a control and do what you like with it and its contents.. although  notionally we can check bags in and out of storage at controls, using your rider bar code  .. I doubt whether a controller will have enough spare volunteer labour around to actually do this.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #254 on: 29 June, 2017, 03:02:35 pm »
Great info, cheers  :thumbsup:

I'll pack a length of cord into each bag so I can add an extra strap, or tie it to my bike.

Louth is my last drop (no idea why I keep thinking it's Spalding)...but I still hope to be back in Loughton a good few hours before it closes and the bags are shipped out.

« Reply #255 on: 30 June, 2017, 04:20:53 pm »
Only time i have ever thought I could die on an audax event .. 2009 with 2 others I left traquair at about midnight .. I think we were the last allowed to leave .. we knew eskdalemuir was rammed full .. but thought by the time we got there it would have space. Wind, rain and temperature was horrific .. finally got there after the  adventures where i thought I might die (another a story ) and no space .. shivering , soaking wet .. edge of hypothermia .. no dry space anywhere .. no dry kit ( none of this drop bag luxury ) .. people trying to sleep on window ledges and underneath a very dangerous looking boiler .. no dry blankets to be wrapped in.. retrospectively i am not sure how I dried out and warmed up enough to carry on .. but i did .

But repeating the intro ...Only time i have ever thought I could die on an audax event

roger

If anybody reads this and thinks that it is an exaggeration, please think again.  Have a look at the weather forecast and pack drop bags accordingly.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #256 on: 30 June, 2017, 04:29:32 pm »
It's July /August.

Bound to be sunny and warm, innit.

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #257 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:10:07 pm »
Only time i have ever thought I could die on an audax event .. 2009 with 2 others I left traquair at about midnight .. I think we were the last allowed to leave .. we knew eskdalemuir was rammed full .. but thought by the time we got there it would have space. Wind, rain and temperature was horrific .. finally got there after the  adventures where i thought I might die (another a story ) and no space .. shivering , soaking wet .. edge of hypothermia .. no dry space anywhere .. no dry kit ( none of this drop bag luxury ) .. people trying to sleep on window ledges and underneath a very dangerous looking boiler .. no dry blankets to be wrapped in.. retrospectively i am not sure how I dried out and warmed up enough to carry on .. but i did .

But repeating the intro ...Only time i have ever thought I could die on an audax event

roger

If anybody reads this and thinks that it is an exaggeration, please think again.  Have a look at the weather forecast and pack drop bags accordingly.

I don't think reading the weather forecast several days ahead is necessarily going to help a great deal!

I was the controller at Eskdalemuir that year.  The weather was spectacular.  Far worse than the forecasters had indicated.  A lot of riders arrived in what can only be described as "difficulties".  The Eskdalemuir villagers were fantastic (as were my volunteers, of course).  We were not a designated sleep stop (hence lack of blankets etc), but did the best we could, with dozens of riders stopping over that night.  I also was somewhat disturbed by that chap sleeping under the water boiler!  Though it was not a dangerous boiler, thank you FB!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #258 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »
Just to put flesh onto why I thought I could have died. Pitch black , pouring with rain and blowing a hooly ..  3 of us together  .. but the other two were stronger ..  they waited at the top of the climbs .. and in those conditions that was absolutely a fantastic thing for them to do. Getting close to Eskdale .. they had gone ahead.. could not see their tail lights  .. soaking wet , very cold .. having difficulty controlling bike. Pitch black outside the light from my bike .. pissing with rain, cross a cattle grid .. lose control .. bike kicks left .. freezing cold hands.. manage to apply brakes, go  off the road at right angles onto the grass verge .. stay upright.

BUT .. then realise that about 3 to 5 feet in front of me there is a big drop .. dont know how deep .. from the noise of the rushing torrent below .. maybe 10 feet down.. this torrent is bouncing over rocks .. I can hear the uneven pattern of a Scottish  torrent in full stream.  IF I had gone over that drop .. unless I was able to recover back to the road myself .. no one would have known where I was .. or been able to find me .. even if they had back tracked very very slowly. Injured in any way on the fall.. freezing cold water for maybe another 6 hours at least .. I might well have died.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #259 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:42:34 pm »
All Proper Randonneurs have at least one near-death experience. I mean, what's the point otherwise :-)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #260 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:59:18 pm »
I was probably the last rider leaving Traquair northbound on that night. I scanned the countryside for possible shelter for the way back, found none. So I decided to stay in Edinburgh although that meant another 2 hours time loss, the panic group was definitly out of reach after that. No way I would want to scale the heights without any shelter between Edinburgh and Traquair on that night.

« Reply #261 on: 01 July, 2017, 10:37:45 am »
All Proper Randonneurs have at least one near-death experience. I mean, what's the point otherwise :-)

Yeah, but for most of them their near death experience is "a refreshment stop with Sir Wobbly".
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #262 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:29:57 am »
Yeah, but for most of them their near death experience is sleeping in the same room as Hummers.

FTFY

« Reply #263 on: 18 July, 2017, 01:05:00 pm »
Sure its already been asked for which I  applogise. I've ordered via the website bag return, question is which carrier is being used for bags in the UK? Is it Royal Mail?

« Reply #264 on: 18 July, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »
LEL volunteer driving a van. So reliable service!

Worked very well last time.

« Reply #265 on: 18 July, 2017, 01:23:14 pm »
Meant it as in post in home service

Bag drops
« Reply #266 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:31:33 am »
Hello,

will the bag drops bags be provided? If not, where should I buy them (that particular size)?

Many thanks!

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: Bag drops
« Reply #267 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:34:11 am »
Hello,

will the bag drops bags be provided? If not, where should I buy them (that particular size)?

Many thanks!
They're provided at registration assuming you have booked them in advance. They are colour coded for controls. You can't provide your own.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #268 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:47:30 am »
From the LEL website

At registration we will give you two drawstring bags to put your stuff in, and we will take it to the control and then back to London. Each bag must weigh less than 2.5 kg and contain no fluids, oil or sharp objects.

Also lots of discussion here    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=66890.0

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #269 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
It's A Cunning Plan to ensure you don't turn up with a huge suitcase full of junk. If it don't fit in the bag, it ain't going on the van.

It also gives you Huge Bragging Rights as you say nothing when you casually turn up with one on a club ride.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #270 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:57:10 am »
I still hope to be back in Loughton a good few hours before it closes
"Everyone has a plan, until they're punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #271 on: 28 July, 2017, 09:57:57 am »
I still hope to be back in Loughton a good few hours before it closes
"Everyone has a plan, until they're punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson.

"Fail to plan - plan to fail".

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #272 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:12:09 am »
" Each bag will carry about 2.5kg of clothes."

Playing with a similarly sized drawstring bag now (30x40 cm), and it holds about 1 kg of clothes. So the size limit is much more important than the weight limit.

(Not a complaint - hopefully this is useful to someone!)

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #273 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:23:14 am »
" Each bag will carry about 2.5kg of clothes."

Playing with a similarly sized drawstring bag now (30x40 cm), and it holds about 1 kg of clothes. So the size limit is much more important than the weight limit.

I manged to squeeze 2.6 kg of kit into a similar sized bag (fingers crossed the weight limit will be interpreted generously)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #274 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:39:43 am »
I made 2 piles of identical kit to put in bagdrops. 620g each. So now I have to decide which badgrop to put my anvil in, and which gets the grand piano*.

* A word-association for me: bagdrop -> grand piano. This is because a certain organiser of a certain ride had rashly agreed to a request to take bagdrops to Dolgellau without specifying a weight/size limit. While loading a heavy holdall into the boot of his car, he gave vent to his exasperation with the rhetorical question "John, who the fuck thinks they need a fucking grand piano in Dolgellau?"
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur