Author Topic: Giant Revolt 1  (Read 6503 times)

AAO

Giant Revolt 1
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:02:36 am »
I have recently got myself one of these as a do it all winter/on-off road work horse bike. It is bog standard and I have just added a Tortec Ultralite rack and changed the saddle to an SLR XP - my favourite perch. Spec: Tiagra level 48/34 to 11/34earing + BB7 Discbrakes. Aluminium SL frame and carbon fork. Built in Crud Catcher type thingy on the downtube.
First impressions after 200 miles in all weathers on all surfaces from rough forest tracks to fast tarmac:
This is a very solid, well made bike. A bit on the heavy side at 12.2 kilos when ready to ride - pedals, cages, bag with tube/vitals/tool, carrier and lights - but thoughtfully geared.
It rides beautifully and is very comfortable. Original 35mm tyres roll well on the road and cope with rough tracks with no problems save when it is liquid mud. The bike is rock solid on downhill 40mph descents. Brakes,after a few initial breaking in miles,are excellent compared to the rim brakes on my other bikes. Handlebars are flared and a very good shape and I like the top bar brake levers which have just as much feel as the STI brake levers.
Initial Conclusion - great choice for anyone looking for a genuine all rounder. At £1000 it is, in my opinion, superb value.

Re: Giant Revolt 1
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 01:22:50 pm »
i've checked one out at a giant store the other day and agree that it looks good and is versatile (good for winter tyres and slicks, although the gap between the 'guards and tyres might be too large for the latter). the fork could be improved by having a "through" hole drilled in the crown for mounting lights, rather than just at the back for mudguard fixing. a well thought out bike that can be ridden on/off-road.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »
I had a look at one in the LBS this afternoon - I'm in the market for a disc-braked road-oriented machine and this is vying for my attention along with a Genesis Croix De Fer and a Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc (the latter being more of a 'proper' road bike than a 'cross machine, though)

It has potential, and it's a heck of a lot of bike for just under a grand ...

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 02:25:19 pm »
It's a good looking machine. There's a wee description of it in the ctc magazine this month, and they comments that conventional racks and mudguards would be hard to fit. I agree with the rack comment, was it easy to fit the tortec rack ?

AAO

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:40:02 pm »
The Tortec rack took about 2 minutes to fit - just went straight on. I have not fitted mudguards, but would have no problems in doing so.

I will add more to my favourable first comments when I come out at the other side of a salty, muddy and wet Welsh winter.  ;D

AAO

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:47:15 pm »
Well, I have now ridden the Revolt for over 700 miles on and off road in all weathers and can only confirm and repeat what I said at the start of this thread:
It is superb - built like a tank, very comfortable, stable and rolls well on its original tyres. The brakes are excellent and the gear change (non-series) is definitely better than I have on my other bikes (Ultergra/105). It has run without fault even when covered in mud, and the wheels, which have taken a fair few hits on our roads and some rough trails have stayed true.
My only criticism is the weight - but then I'm spoilt in that my other bikes are a TCR Advanced and a Charge Juicer with RS80 wheels - so not really a fair contest.
 :thumbsup: