Author Topic: Bob McHardy  (Read 14381 times)

Martin

Re: Bob McHardy
« Reply #25 on: 15 December, 2013, 02:08:31 am »
I've sent a few photos of Bob in his element; normal clothes, handbuilt bike and in his native Mid Sussex for inclusion in the next Arrivee as I believe this is the done thing

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #26 on: 16 December, 2013, 02:46:06 pm »
Not sure if this link will work, but here goes anyway. Police still appealing for witnesses. The pic they bave released of Bob looks suspiciously as if he is tucking in to an El Supremo pudding.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/whats-happening/latest/news-stories/2013/12/16/photograph-released-on-cyclist-who-died-after-crash-in-hassocks?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #27 on: 17 December, 2013, 01:49:46 pm »
Put my medals on the table....you must be jokimg!

« Reply #28 on: 17 December, 2013, 07:30:48 pm »
Very sad to hear this, I helped on several of El S's events with him and learned to appreciate his dry sense of humour and his wisdom.
He will be greatly missed.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #29 on: 21 December, 2013, 12:24:21 pm »
Bob’s friends wishing to attend the funeral service will wish to know that it has now been arranged for 2pm on Friday 3rd January at Clayton Wood Natural Burial Ground, Brighton Road, Clayton, W. Sussex BN6 9PD.  There is a free dress code.

The ground is a ten minute walk away from Hassocks train station and full details on how to reach it by car are given on the website http://www.claytonwood.co.uk. No doubt there will be many friends and fellow cyclists of various disciplines who will wish to pay their last respects to him.

Regards,
RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #30 on: 23 December, 2013, 01:22:05 pm »
I plan to go. In deference to Bob, I plan to wear an Audax England top with an LEL gilet and loose cotton trousers, and ride there. But if the weather is bad I shall highlight the difference between a gnarled mile-muncher such as Bob and myself, by doing something he'd never do: wimping out by poshing up in a suit and tie and driving there.

« Reply #31 on: 28 December, 2013, 12:50:28 pm »
Shocked to hear from Dave H (El Supremo) of the passing of Bob. It must've been a really unlucky accident. I didn't know Bob well and I never saw him initiate a conversation - but I'm glad I asked him a couple of questions and discovered a fascinating character beneath that quiet exterior.  He'd built several bikes from scratch and told me he took some apart again when he felt a little dissatisfied with them.  Clearly a very independent and very well travelled cyclist, he will be sorely missed, not least by those of us who have been fortunate enough to try many of El Supremos excellent (if a little hilly for the more elderly among us ..) audax rides and to enjoy Bob's support at many controls.

My sympathy to all Bob's relatives in this sad loss.

Mike

Martin

« Reply #32 on: 04 January, 2014, 09:39:06 am »
This from original Mid Sussex Hilly organiser Janet

Bob had a good sendoff. Clayton is a lovely location, and I was amazed that the barn there is perfect for memorial services - I thought that was just a shed! It was quite stormy, which added to the atmosphere. Lots of people managed to attend, from different areas of Bob's life- if all his adventures were written down, it would fill several books. Bob's brother may organise a get-together on the Downs in the Summer, by which time some of the photo collection may be sorted. As the weather was so bleak, we congregated in the garden centre for tea and buns.

Phixie

« Reply #33 on: 17 June, 2014, 09:32:45 pm »
At Bob’s funeral, his brother Dick "Mac" McHardy was talking of organising a get-together later in the year as the circumstances then prevented one being held at that time.  He has now kindly invited all of Bob's friends to the memorial reunion being planned for 19th October 2014 for a couple of hours from 2 pm at Ditchling Village Hall, which is just under 2 1/2km east of Hassocks railway station on the B2116 Lewes Road. (BN6 8TT for those reliant on sat-navs.)

Obviously the main thrust of the afternoon will be to celebrate Bob' life so there should be a display of the successes in his life and his contributions in many cycling- related activities. Although this social event is essentially one postponed from immediately after the funeral, the intervening period has allowed a more complete set of his photographs to be collected. It should also be noted that all who wish to remember and pay tribute to Bob will be welcome, especially those who for their individual reasons were not able to attend the original ceremony.

Mac and his family are hoping to meet as many of Bob's former friends as possible, so please pass on these details to anyone who is not a forum subscriber but is likely to want to join in.

Regards,

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Phixie

« Reply #34 on: 06 October, 2014, 10:35:48 am »
Just a quick reminder the reunion is just under a fortnight away. All of Bob's friends will be warmly welcomed and to help with the catering arrangements, please let either Dave Hudson or me know if you will be there. We hope to see as many people there as possible to celebrate a unique life.

As previously, please pass this message on to anyone not on this forum who knew Bob.

Regards,

RP

« Reply #35 on: 06 October, 2014, 08:33:55 pm »
Just a quick reminder the reunion is just under a fortnight away. All of Bob's friends will be warmly welcomed and to help with the catering arrangements, please let either Dave Hudson or me know if you will be there. We hope to see as many people there as possible to celebrate a unique life.

As previously, please pass this message on to anyone not on this forum who knew Bob.

Regards,

RP

I'd like to come, happy to help make tea etc. Not that I knew Bob well but I frequently think of his quiet presence, just getting on with stuff in his own way.

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #36 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:44:49 am »
Just a reminder. His funeral was a year ago.

#notforgotten

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #37 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:49:27 pm »
January 3 - will be three years.
#notforgotten

Phixie

« Reply #38 on: 31 December, 2017, 06:43:01 pm »
Absolutely.  Surely not three years already (though I am not disbelieving you.)

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #39 on: 31 December, 2017, 07:38:00 pm »
Sadly true.
Off topic, but.... I have his map from the Tour he did of Mongolia. Train to Moscow, then trans Siberia trains for some of the way to Mongolia, then a four wheel drive to the border. Cycled to the capital then flew home. The map was one inch to 127 miles.
One. Inch. To. 127. Miles.
No GPS in those days and not a word of the language.
Sadly missed.

Mark Beauchamp

• MILKTANKER
« Reply #40 on: 03 January, 2018, 12:36:34 pm »
I have a copy of the article Bob wrote for the Rough-Stuff Journal that includes colour photographs. Plus I have kept a copy of most of his other articles. He was a very well travelled cycle-tourist.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2018, 09:00:30 pm »
Good point. I wonder how he would have compared with Ian Hibell, who was on Blue Peter a few times and wrote a book about his travels, and so became quite famous and his death warranted an obituary in The Economist.

Bob was too self-effacing, of course, but I'd guess his travels were pretty close to Hibell's, merely that he didn't make a fuss about them.

And his idea for a touring bike that breaks down for travelled on trains and buses would be really very useful nowadays with the restrictions across European rail providers. Shame no one really followed that line. The couplings in the frame from Thorn do the same job but cost a lot.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #42 on: 09 December, 2018, 11:18:02 pm »
Five years.

I am greatly saddened to advise the passing of Bob McHardy in the Royal Sussex County Hospital earlier today following an accident on the last stage of his journey home after helping at the finish of the Rye Randonnée last Sunday.  No other person seems to have been involved in the accident and an inquest will be held in due course. In the meantime, of course, our sympathies will be with his brother, Dick, the remainder of his family and friends.

Regards,

RP

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #43 on: 10 December, 2019, 05:21:34 pm »
Six years.

I am greatly saddened to advise the passing of Bob McHardy in the Royal Sussex County Hospital earlier today following an accident on the last stage of his journey home after helping at the finish of the Rye Randonnée last Sunday.  No other person seems to have been involved in the accident and an inquest will be held in due course. In the meantime, of course, our sympathies will be with his brother, Dick, the remainder of his family and friends.

Regards,

RP

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #44 on: 10 December, 2020, 12:05:00 am »

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #45 on: 10 December, 2021, 09:26:24 am »

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #46 on: 10 December, 2022, 09:15:06 am »

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #47 on: 10 December, 2023, 09:28:19 am »