Author Topic: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)  (Read 17425 times)

Re: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR FRAME ,( BLODWYN)
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »
Did you ever get one of these, Hummers?

(I hope no-one minds me bumping a couple of older threads – there isn’t much activity in the reviews section so I reckoned no harm would come from it.)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2015, 09:42:54 pm »
A bit of an update on Blodwyn. As some of you know I was hit by a car , on a roundabout, and poor ol' Blodders  sustained some damage, notably

A ''crease'' in the top tube.  This has no impact damage markings, and no part of bike or bars can come into contact, so I am assuming its a ''whip' kink,

also

a crack in the seat tube paintwork (just below the crest)

and

3 visible cracks in the down tube paint, (visible both sides).

These cracks could be superficial paint cracks but the kink (as opposed to dent) in the top tube concerns me. Poor ol' Blodders isn't yet 2 years old. The rear wheel is also toast (or Pringle).

it is due to go to Evans for a 'report ' for legal reasons,

I was thinking of a replacement bike ..ie a totally new, different bike, but on reflection, I have put a lot of ME into Blodwyn, and I simply can't give up. So see what happens as the legalities ensue.

Tim Hall

• Bright are the stars that shine Dark is the sky
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2015, 10:52:47 pm »
Being lugged and steel, as God intended, it's not beyond the wit of man to replace the damaged tubes.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:38 am »
...I have put a lot of ME into Blodwyn...
“Did you ever discover or hear tell of the atomic theory?” the sergeant inquired.

“No,” I answered.

He leaned his mouth confidentially over to my ear. “Would it surprise you to be told,” he said darkly, “that the atomic theory is at work in this parish?”

“It would indeed.”

“It is doing untold destruction,” he continued, “the half of the people are suffering from it; it is worse than the smallpox.”

He walked on, looking worried and preoccupied, as if what he was examining in his head was unpleasant in a very intricate way.

“The atomic theory,” I sallied, “is a thing that is not clear to me at all.”

“Michael Gilhaney,” said the sergeant, “is an example of a man that is nearly banjaxed from the principle of the atomic theory.

Would it astonish you to hear that he is nearly half a bicycle?”

“It would surprise me unconditionally,” I said.

“Michael Gilhaney,” said the sergeant, “is nearly sixty years of age by plain computation and if he is itself, he has spent no less than thirty-five years riding his bicycle over the rocky roadsteads and up and down the hills and into the deep ditches when the road goes astray in the strain of the winter. He is always going to a particular destination or other on his bicycle at every hour of the day or coming back from there at every other hour. If it wasn’t that his bicycle was stolen every Monday he would be sure to be more than halfway now.”

“Halfway to where?”

“Halfway to being a bicycle himself,” said the sergeant.

“Your talk,” I said, “is surely the handiwork of wisdom because not one word of it do I understand.”

“Did you never study atomics when you were a lad?” asked the sergeant, giving me a look of great inquiry and surprise.

“No,” I answered.

“That is a very serious defalcation,” he said, “but all the same I will tell you the size of it. Everything is composed of small particles of itself, and they are flying around in concentric circles and arcs and segments and innumerable other geometrical figures too numerous to mention collectively, never standing still or resting but spinning away and darting hither and thither and back again, all the time on the go. These diminutive gentlemen are called atoms. Do you follow me intelligently?”

“Yes.”

“They are lively as twenty leprechauns doing a jig on top of a tombstone.”

“Now take a sheep,” the sergeant said. “What is a sheep, only millions of little bits of sheepness whirling around and doing intricate convolutions inside the sheep? What else is it but that?”

“That would be bound to make the beast dizzy,” I observed, “especially if the whirling was going on inside the head as well.”

The sergeant gave me a look which I am sure he himself would describe as one of non-possum [I can’t] and noli-me-tangere [don’t touch me].

“That remark is what may well be called buncombe,” he said sharply, “because the nerve strings and the sheep’s head itself are whirling into the same bargain, and you can cancel out one whirl against the other, and there you are—like simplifying a division sum when you have fives above and below the bar.”

“To say the truth, I did not think of that,” I said.

“Atomics is a very intricate theorem and can be worked out with algebra, but you would want to take it by degrees, because you might spend the whole night proving a bit of it with rulers and cosines and similar other instruments and then at the windup not believe what you had proved at all. If that happened, you would have to go back over it till you got a place where you could believe your own facts and figures and then go on again from that particular place till you had the whole thing properly believed and not have bits of it half-believed or a doubt in your head hurting you like when you lose the stud of your shirt in bed.”

“Very true,” I said.

“Consecutively and consequentially,” he continued, “you can safely infer that you are made of atoms yourself and so is your fob pocket and the tail of your shirt and the instrument you use for taking the leavings out of the crook of your hollow tooth. Do you happen to know what takes place when you strike a bar of iron with a good coal hammer or with a blunt instrument?”

“What?”

“When the wallop falls, the atoms are bashed away down to the bottom of the bar and compressed and crowded there like eggs under a good clucker. After a while in the course of time they swim around and get back at last to where they were. But if you keep hitting the bar long enough and hard enough they do not get a chance to do this, and what happens then?”

“That is a hard question.”

“Ask a blacksmith for the true answer and he will tell you that the bar will dissipate itself away by degrees if you persevere with the hard wallops. Some of the atoms of the bar will go into the hammer, and the other half into the table or the stone or the particular article that is underneath the bottom of the bar.” “That is well-known,” I agreed.

"The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles...when a man lets things go so far that he is more than half a bicycle, you will not see him so much because he spends a lot of his time leaning with one elbow on walls or standing propped by one foot at kerbstones."

HTH!

And best wishes for a speedy recovery!
You won. Get over it.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2015, 10:59:10 am »
As It was nice and sunny this morning I thought I would get the string line and micrometer out and ave a look.

upside down view of the u/s of top tube, and a clear bend can be seen if compared to the cable run.

All strung up, being very carefull to ensure string line is 'correct' all the way round.

Now then where that micrometer................................

almost 56.8 on NCS (non chain side) to seatpost

51.2 on c/s=  5.6mm out of true

54.5 on NCS to downtube

48.0 on c/s=    6.5mm out of true

Doe this mean its now officially kippered?

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2015, 01:43:43 pm »
I think it's toast and the best option would be to get whoever knocked you off your bike to pay for a new frame.  Or a whole new bike if you can wing it.
Get it sprayed in the same colour scheme and call it Blodwyn II.

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2016, 10:29:56 am »
I would try and get a slightly exaggerated price of a new frame and back wheel which might cover a few little extras, like time spent travelling and other costs incurred etc, etc.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2016, 07:46:57 pm »
Bit of an update, Insurance has paid out  ::-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, and I now have Olive.      ...........BUT 'it ain't Blodwyn'!
So I am going to send Blodwyn back to Donald at BJ, and see what he makes of it.  :P. Been looking at old pics  and I do miss dear ol' Blodders.

So thinking is get Blodders up and running  exactly as it was, maybe with a bit of chrome on the dropouts :-*, and either use Olive as a winter / foul weather bike,(having discs) or put it back to std and sell it. Now to find a box........oh yes I have one in the shed, how fortuitous  :thumbsup:

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2016, 08:20:53 pm »
ah sorry to hear this such a beautiful bike ,i reckon BJ could straighten the frame out repaint it good as new.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2016, 08:53:27 pm »
ah sorry to hear this such a beautiful bike ,i reckon BJ could straighten the frame out repaint it good as new.

trouble  is I'm spoilt now with Olive, 'disc brakes and 650b wheels '

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2016, 10:35:03 am »

trouble  is I'm spoilt now with Olive, 'disc brakes and 650b wheels '

Then don't bother? That frame is toast and you've replaced it with something different but arguably better. Hang Blodders from the rafters in your garage if you feel too sentimental to let him return to the Great Furnace in the Sky (via the local council tip). I've just such a frame (Ross, short for Rocinante) in my garage.

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2016, 08:02:30 pm »
Any photos of Olive  :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2016, 08:21:26 pm »
Any photos of Olive  :thumbsup:

look at the 'Ridgeback world panorama deluxe'  thread in this review section, to get a flavour of Olive  ;)

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2016, 11:15:38 pm »
excellent thanks for that your bike is pure class. :thumbsup:

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2016, 03:11:57 pm »
I strongly believe my Bob Jackson built expedition tourer (2000) was their first attempt at such a machine. 

A lovely frame but whoever fitted it out (brakes, gears) made right mess of it.  The 'travel agents' they used to get direct pull brakes knackered the cables and in any case they fitted the brake bosses for 700c instead of 26" so the rear brake could not be made in least effective.  The 105 shifters wouldn't work with the MTB chainset they used; you could have middle and outer or middle and inner but not a choice of three.  They also fitted a dynamo boss, also where it would suit 700c wheels.

They fixed a few faults but refused to admit the incompatibility of road and mtb gear components or that the brakes were never go to work satisfactorily.  I took the bike to Mercian who made it into the excellent touring machine it is now. 

Sic transit and all that..