Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 402171 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #1450 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:40:19 pm »
Then the blinking lights laptop now works.  No idea why. Nothing has changed.

Ordered the cmos battery from RS.  Called RS as central stores didn't have any in stock but searching Crawley had stock.  So central stores said Crawley could send it to me, but I had to complete the on line order. Once the order was received I have to contact online central stores to change the supplier to crawley.  Did that but somehow that didn't happen.  So had to call crawley and sort out the problem.  But it arrived now to do the soldering.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1451 on: 23 June, 2017, 04:59:25 pm »
Bloody laptop flashing again.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1452 on: 29 June, 2017, 01:20:58 am »
Some times the toshiba laptop works and sometimes the flashing lights of doom.

How the brian christ can I take something that worked, replace the cmos battery and now it doesn't work anymore?  Then my favourite, change a memory dimm and the computer no longer works.  Changed the dimm back and the same....Arggggghhhhhhh

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1453 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:10:00 pm »
Bollocks 1: One of the fans in either the desktop or mail server started to rub about a fortnight ago.
Bollocks 2: The monitor on the mail server died on Monday.  Small pop & then off.  Lights up again and off.  Lights up again and off.  Repeat.
I wonder what bollocks 3 is going to be.

Replacing these things individually is no biggie but it means that all the hardware in my office is now of that age.  Poo.
Every time I look at PC hardware these days I realise I have absolutely no interest whatever in spending my time pratting about with that shit any more.  Nor do I ever find what I'm looking for when I do noodle about searching for a few minutes.  For example I've been trying to replace the laptop I'm typing on for 5 years or more.  Nobody but nobody makes what I'd call a 'work' laptop any more.  Laptops today all fall into one of these categories:

a) pant wettingly gorgeous but as upgradable as a rock & repairable as a shattered windscreen.
b) video players.  16 fucking 9 is for watching videos and SHIT for anything else.  Even editing video on 16 fucking 9 is painful.
c) all round cheap tat.

Bah >:(
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Afasoas

« Reply #1454 on: 30 June, 2017, 02:08:42 pm »
Can you not host the mail server on a virtual server/VPS? That makes the hardware problem go away.

It's probably a good idea to change fans periodically anyway.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1455 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:44:01 am »
Some times the toshiba laptop works and sometimes the flashing lights of doom.

How the brian christ can I take something that worked, replace the cmos battery and now it doesn't work anymore?  Then my favourite, change a memory dimm and the computer no longer works.  Changed the dimm back and the same....Arggggghhhhhhh

So randomly tried a memory chip that causes the machine it came out of to crash.....now works in this machine.

SoreTween

« Reply #1456 on: 08 July, 2017, 07:16:45 pm »
Nor do I ever find what I'm looking for when I do noodle about searching for a few minutes. 
I may have just had a little accident
https://www.shop.bt.com/products/acer-xr382cqkbmijphuzx-37-5--3840x1600-hdmi-dp-usb-gaming-monitor-um-tx2ee-005-CPBY.html?refs=4294935805
Just look at the vertical resolution on that lovely :o

VPS not gonna happen.  VM maybe but my stuff stays where I can see it.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1457 on: 29 July, 2017, 03:45:27 pm »
Finally found the default setting for the WiFi card which has 'turn off this device to save power when not in use' selected. Deep in the unobvious maze of twisty menus, all alike.
And now my lapdancer does not suddenly decide to drop it's network connection and really annoy me at the most inconvenient times. Yippee.

It was this far > < from defenestration.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #1458 on: 02 August, 2017, 11:36:56 pm »
Today our EPOS system decided it wouldn't sell any weighed goods and failed utterly to read barcodes from the scales. Turns out it was only working due to a bug, which was fixed in the latest update.
FFS.
I was informed it was hard to predict a fix that would expose a bug. Maybe it is, but it was stupendously easy to TEST, surely?
GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #1459 on: 03 August, 2017, 09:49:44 am »
Today our EPOS system decided it wouldn't sell any weighed goods and failed utterly to read barcodes from the scales. Turns out it was only working due to a bug, which was fixed in the latest update.
FFS.
I was informed it was hard to predict a fix that would expose a bug. Maybe it is, but it was stupendously easy to TEST, surely?

yebbut testing costs money. Often testing means paying people to do testing.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1460 on: 03 August, 2017, 06:00:39 pm »
FFS.

yebbut testing costs money. Often testing means paying people to do testing.
Testing?  Isn't that what customers are for?  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Morat

« Reply #1461 on: 03 August, 2017, 06:13:44 pm »
Yeah, pretty much. :(

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1462 on: 03 August, 2017, 08:49:18 pm »
Yeah, pretty much. :(
I had the misfortune to work for a company some 11 or 12 years ago where it was official policy to farm the testing out to the customers.  I'm not sure the customers knew this.  I didn't stay there very long.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1463 on: 04 August, 2017, 05:37:30 pm »
Bloody Memory Maps!  I weakened and bought 25k mapping for Wales, cos we are shortly moving there, and wanted to explore in detail on proper maps (and we've got an A1 format printer, so can print big bits if required).  Talk about flaky and unintuitive...

Yes, the maps are lovely, but trying to get the mobile version to actually download the maps onto my phone instead of it downloading them "as and when necessary" was basically impossible, as the help kept referring to menu items that do not exist, and for some reason the map refused to display one map square, and seasoned YACF'ers will immediately understand which map square this was, yes, the one in which my new home is...  Much googling which led me to help pages which MM's help would not lead me to, suggested all sorts of things, none of which worked, as all the help was for previous versions of MM, eventually led me to a very odd comment which suggested I opened a file explorer on the phone, after copying the maps off my PC into a random folder (it couldn't make its mind up which one) to find the map files, and click on it, which would open Memory maps, which of course it wouldn't as it was already running, hence much shuffling later, it actually understands to look in its own files for the maps, not trying to access them from a possibly non-existent internet connection.  As I have forcefully said on these pages before, Wales is characterized by bugger all internet availability over much of its geography...

One day I'll actually live in Wales, when the solicitors actually condescend to do a day's work and complete the conveyancing for my new home.  It does not take 8 weeks, you can do it in a week!  They sent me an environmental report, and wanted me to confirm that I had consulted a qualified surveyor and wished to proceed with the purchase.  How many times have I told you I'm a surveyor, you numpties!?  A once in 200 yrs flood risk 250 metres away is not a real flood risk at my home 10 metres higher, and a supposed radon risk is not real, in a house at the top of a slope, on ground with no granite, with a solid concrete floor.
Wombat

« Reply #1464 on: 05 August, 2017, 07:27:51 pm »
They sent me an environmental report, and wanted me to confirm that I had consulted a qualified surveyor and wished to proceed with the purchase.  How many times have I told you I'm a surveyor, you numpties!?  A once in 200 yrs flood risk 250 metres away is not a real flood risk at my home 10 metres higher, and a supposed radon risk is not real, in a house at the top of a slope, on ground with no granite, with a solid concrete floor.

Lol. You know better than most people, but the environmental reports only consider the flat distance. Then mortgage companies/insurers get their knickers in a twist. We had to sign a disclaimer acknowledging the risks when the report came back that we were in the 250m "flood zone". Yes, the house is less than 250 m from the water meadows, but it's at least 30 m higher, up a bloody great hill, along with the rest of the town. Which is presumably the reason they built the town here 1000 years ago rather than in the wet field at the bottom, and it has stood here ever since. If the river ever rises to the level of my house I think there will be more to worry about than whether the carpets are wet!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1465 on: 06 August, 2017, 12:51:24 pm »
Why do harddrives die at the worst possible time?

Morat

« Reply #1466 on: 06 August, 2017, 02:20:17 pm »

Because any time is the worst time :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1467 on: 06 August, 2017, 05:17:11 pm »

Because they tend to be bought together.

« Reply #1468 on: 06 August, 2017, 08:19:50 pm »
Who, in the name of STAN, decided to number CAN1 message bytes upwards, and the bits in those bytes downwards?

In a 64 bit message, numbered 0 - 63, the first bit transmitted is bit 7 and the last is bit 56.

1 CAN - Controller Area Network, a way that electronic messages are transmitted in motor vehicles, and on occasion, in bicycles.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1469 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:29:09 pm »

Just because.

Afasoas

« Reply #1470 on: 07 August, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
MySQL will allow random columns to be included in a query's SELECT/ORDER BY clauses when using aggregate functions/GROUP BY clause.
Ergo using the SMF TapaTalk plugin with a PostgreSQL database is not advisable.

I've got it to work by hacking the plugin - removing an ORDER BY clause in a statement that was just counting rows returned. I mean, when you want the total number of rows, what does the order in which they are returned matter?

It works now, but the boards show with the wrong descriptions and errors are still logged. Meh.

SoreTween

« Reply #1471 on: 09 August, 2017, 05:36:23 pm »
Thanks Microsoft  :thumbsup: I so look forward to replacing the shortcuts to network locations you delete from my desktop easy patch Tuesday. My day is enriched by your quality workmanship.

Sigh

« Reply #1472 on: 10 August, 2017, 10:22:54 am »
Mobile phone companies, when someone's contract expires and they ring to check on an upgrade why the hell can't you match the offers you give to new customers ?
Now Mrs P Colbeck will have to have a new contract with a new number even though its with the same carrier.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rr

« Reply #1473 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:25:05 pm »
Mobile phone companies, when someone's contract expires and they ring to check on an upgrade why the hell can't you match the offers you give to new customers ?
Now Mrs P Colbeck will have to have a new contract with a new number even though its with the same carrier.
Get another network PAYG sim, port number to that and then to the new SIM.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1474 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:38:28 pm »
Too late now but thanks.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.