Author Topic: Spa Audax or Bob Jackson  (Read 7870 times)

Spa Audax or Bob Jackson
« on: March 13, 2014, 05:47:24 pm »
Hi guys, I am planning to get a new bike by the end of the year and am doing some forward planning. As you can see from the thread title I am considering the Spa steel audax bike or the Bob Jackson End to End frame and having Spa build it up for me. I live in Leeds which is the reason I would like to buy and support local businesses, with BJ being Leeds based and Spa in Harrogate.

The Spa, as has been pointed out, is a little agricultural in looks but I can test ride it, where as the BJ will have that retro charm but would  have to take the ride quality on trust. My quandary is will the steel frame and carbon forks of the Spa give a better ride than the Steel frame and forks of the BJ considering it will be used for audax events. Both are Reynolds tubing, 725 for the Spa and 631 for the BJ. The BJ will cost a few hundred more which I am prepared to pay  as I am not a N+1 type of guy and either bike is likely to be passed onto my son who fortunately is the same height and leg measurement as me but not weight, [he might be by the time he gets to my age]

Cheers guys.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Spa Audax or Bob Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:58:14 pm »

The Spa, as has been pointed out, is a little agricultural in looks but I can test ride it, where as the BJ will have that retro charm but would  have to take the ride quality on trust.

Cheers guys.

Every single time you;  get the bike out of the shed, OR prop it up against a wall outside a cafe whilst you sit there and gaze at it, OR swing your leg over it, do you want the words 'MASSEY FURGUSON'  to ring out in your head, resplendent in Henry Ford Black or Bismark titanium,  Get a BJ and be DIFFERENT, remember Monty Python's 'life of Brian' .....''yes, we are all individuals''

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:40:01 pm »
That just what I was thinking. After an Audax this weekend I propped my bike against the wall of the village hall and walked over and spent five minute looking at two BJ's. Love your bike by the way.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:27 pm »
Hi guys, I am planning to get a new bike by the end of the year and am doing some forward planning. As you can see from the thread title I am considering the Spa steel audax bike or the Bob Jackson End to End frame and having Spa build it up for me. I live in Leeds which is the reason I would like to buy and support local businesses, with BJ being Leeds based and Spa in Harrogate.

The Spa, as has been pointed out, is a little agricultural in looks but I can test ride it, where as the BJ will have that retro charm but would  have to take the ride quality on trust. My quandary is will the steel frame and carbon forks of the Spa give a better ride than the Steel frame and forks of the BJ considering it will be used for audax events. Both are Reynolds tubing, 725 for the Spa and 631 for the BJ. The BJ will cost a few hundred more which I am prepared to pay  as I am not a N+1 type of guy and either bike is likely to be passed onto my son who fortunately is the same height and leg measurement as me but not weight, [he might be by the time he gets to my age]

Cheers guys.

Quite obviously, you should purchase one of each, together with a Woodrup from just around the corner.

Seriously, I think you will be pleased with either, but the Bob Jackson has a wow factor when you look at it. I have a Spa, but built my wife a Bob Jackson Lady's frame up. Donald was very helpful and modified the frame to run a Nexus IGH - different rear spacing, horizontal track dropouts and reworked cable guides. Also extended the had tube as Sue prefers higher bars. Her bike is always the one to turn heads.

The price difference isn't really that high when you consider the Bob Jackson is built in Leeds and the Spa in Taiwan, plus the Spa has a carbon fork which I suspect is less costly to make than the steel one on the Bob Jackson. Both seem good value to me.

Also, it's not that hard to build one up yourself if you have the time and you'll always know how it all works and what to do to fix it.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:47 am »
Hi Mike, am considering building it up myself for the reason you gave. When I make a mess of it I could always take it to LBS with cap in hand and ask them to fix it. In the distant passed I had a Woodrups, which I loved until one evening, after a few drinks, I ran into a stationary car and had a compact frame well before they had been developed. If I do make it up myself I could stagger the cost. It would take several months wait for BJ to fulfil the order.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:24:43 pm »
''funny thing happened on the way to the forum''! (its an old Mel Brooks film IIRC) went out for a short ride on blodders today, and had a creaking, T'was the spokes in the replacement wheel, So i  up turned the ol'blodders, and set about with a spoke key. Within 2minutes a chap arrived, on a bike,  to pass the time of day and enquire if all was well. And guess what he was riding, ...Oh! did I say Spa Audax!.. It was the supalight Titanio version and ......ok he was pleased with it, and said it was the most responsive bike he'd ever ridden, and he said that 'he was glad ,because  anything responsive at his age was a good thing' he added that he used to race (prob in the 1930's :-X) Then we got chatting about Blodwyn, and he used to own a BJ but wrote it off in a 'bit of a pearler'  Lovely ol' chap, and I enjoyed his company immensely, but hate to say his bike was
                                                                 DULL AS CHALK

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:21:05 pm »
You've talked me into it. I was leaning towards the BJ just needed pushing!

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:15:26 am »
Here's my Olympus Road in (oversize) 853:

The paint is Blue S metallic which is beautiful but prone to chipping.  I believe the enamel is a more durable finish, but you have to remember that a bike is for riding as well as looking at and this one rides beautifully! :)

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 02:57:51 pm »
Even more convinced having seen the photo. I must remind myself not to get a blue bike, all my bikes have been blue. This project will take several months for completion but hope I can post photos in the future.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 03:05:13 pm »
Spa Audax or Bob Jackson?
There are.. other bikes.
Have Bob Jackson recovered from the reputation shredding decline in quality that was murmured some years back?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:00:48 am »
''funny thing happened on the way to the forum''! (its an old Mel Brooks film IIRC)

Richard Lester, actually.

Spa Audax or Bob Jackson?
There are.. other bikes.
Have Bob Jackson recovered from the reputation shredding decline in quality that was murmured some years back?

Can one recover from something that's just a silly rumour?
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »
I have been extremely pleased with my Bob Jackson frame.

There is a picture of it on page 8 of the Fully Loaded Touring Bike thread.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:53 pm »
BJ bought the rights to curly Hetchins design and I know someone who has a BJ-made curly Hetchins tandem. It looks gorgeous but he's not impressed - lots of things wrong with it, such as BB didn't fit cos the threads in the shell had been cut out of alignment. He listed quite a few things of that nature but I can't remember them all.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:15:56 pm »
yet another....'funny thing happened on the way........' And it was Phil Silvers I was thinking of..my bad.   Anyways, t'was fixing a flatty when '2 riders were approaching'  Both on carbon jobbies. Now I know nowt about carbon bikes, but I guestimate approx 2.5k each. But guess what......this'll cheer you up........'' cor is that a Bob Jackson , and a brooks? Well right on the first part anyway. they were 'try-atheletes' ::-) anyway once up and running, I left them behind at the first hill. well is was a bit windy I suppose.. poor things ;D

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:16:53 pm »
BJ bought the rights to curly Hetchins design and I know someone who has a BJ-made curly Hetchins tandem. It looks gorgeous but he's not impressed - lots of things wrong with it, such as BB didn't fit cos the threads in the shell had been cut out of alignment. He listed quite a few things of that nature but I can't remember them all.

The frame they built for my wife built up perfectly straight from the bubble wrap

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 04:43:30 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I too have heard the rumours about BJ's but the positive far out weight any negatives by along way and they all seem dated from so time in the past. At my age I know this will be my last bike and I not only want it to do the job but also look good. I am sure the Spa will do a great job but I love the retro looks of a steel frame with quill stem, Nitto bars and my Brooks plus a choice of colours it is too tempting.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 06:06:07 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I too have heard the rumours about BJ's but the positive far out weight any negatives by along way and they all seem dated from so time in the past. At my age I know this will be my last bike and I not only want it to do the job but also look good. I am sure the Spa will do a great job but I love the retro looks of a steel frame with quill stem, Nitto bars and my Brooks plus a choice of colours it is too tempting.

OOOoooo!!! go on then......... what colours are you thinking, This WAS my first choice

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 10:17:47 pm »
I'm even thinking of chrome on the forks!! Such bling!!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »
Must admit, wish I had gone for chrome fork ends an dropouts myself, but it added another 8 weeks, still if your in no hurry :thumbsup:

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 09:46:59 pm »
I like chrome but am not a fan of the upkeep.  Isnt it better to get them powdercoated?

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 06:55:13 am »
Must say I quite fancy a Vulcan frame curly stays an' all.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 10:56:06 pm »
Must say I quite fancy a Vulcan frame curly stays an' all.

Perhaps fixed or singlespeed.

That would give a certain elegance.