Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 470749 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1625 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:54:48 pm »
Wearing proper trousers for the first time in two weeks.  :thumbsup:

Pants still full of sticky tape, thobut.  :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1626 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:59:47 pm »
It's way too hot for proper trousers! Oh, I forgot, Birmingham's almost The Frozen North.

Seriously, good news.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1627 on: 26 May, 2017, 02:05:26 pm »
:thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1628 on: 30 May, 2017, 11:54:26 am »
Does anyone know where to get a Hepatitis A vaccine in a hurry?

My feckless son is off to Cuba on Monday and despite us asking him numerous times over the last few months to check if he needs to get vaccines... teenagers, eh?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1629 on: 30 May, 2017, 01:57:57 pm »
The left buttock? ;D

Sorry pardon.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1630 on: 30 May, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »
The left buttock? ;D

Thank you.

Turns out the GP surgery can fit him in for an appointment this week, but they can't guarantee they'll have the vaccine in stock. Further research tells me there are branches of Superdrug/Boots where you can get vaccines at short notice, but it costs.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1631 on: 31 May, 2017, 11:35:12 am »
My innards are troubling me. I've been having intermittent bouts of Bristol stool chart 5s and 6s with noticeable urgency for ages now, but put it down to my sertraline. But I've been on the sertraline 18 months and the innards problems are getting worse - I'm shitting multiple times a day, I'm having unpleasant gnawing pain in my mid abdomen sometimes, followed by a 3-4 on the stool chart, crampy growliness in my lower abdomen at times, and lots and lots of urgency followed by more 5s and 6s. And when I say urgency, if I lived on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd, I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do. So I'm off to the GP tomorrow.
Outpatient appointment is next week, but it's not a colonoscopy appointment, just an appointment.
Bloods taken and I have to send in some poo. Might mix a cat turd in there for a laugh. Consultant was really nice.
Letter from GP saying nothing worrying in my poo and consultant has prescribed Questran Light until my next outpt appt at end of May. Questran Light is a disgusting powder, flavoured like very weak cheap diluting orange, to be mixed with water and forced down my gullet three times a day. No matter how I mix it, it won't properly dissolve and it has an oddly starchy texture, like drinking finely powdered Smash.

Back to see the gastro consultant this morning. He says my bowel is not reabsorbing bile salts properly. Next step: colonoscopy.  :o :facepalm: :hand:
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1632 on: 31 May, 2017, 11:50:07 am »
Hope they can find and treat your troubles!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1633 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:11:41 pm »
Sounds miserable, hope it's nothing too serious.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1634 on: 02 June, 2017, 12:34:18 am »
Wearing proper trousers for the first time in two weeks.  :thumbsup:

Pants still full of sticky tape, thobut.  :(

Now sticky-tape-free and able to remove pants without removing scabs in the process.  Still have a baboon-coloured arse with some sore bits, but it appears not in the region required to use a saddle.  I rode all of about 200m on an e-bike I was helping someone test ride yesterday[1] and that didn't particularly hurt.  May attempt a much-needed shopping run tomorrow.

[1] STEPS/Nexus Di2 integration for *automatic* gear-shifting.  I figured it was worth a little pain to experience the witchcraft first-hand.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1635 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:02:36 am »
Never mind the baboons, we want to know about the automagickally gear-changery witchcraft!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1636 on: 02 June, 2017, 01:34:53 pm »
Never mind the baboons, we want to know about the automagickally gear-changery witchcraft!

I'll start a thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103438.0

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1637 on: 02 June, 2017, 02:31:46 pm »
Small lump cut out of tongue yesterday.   Nothing major, but the jag to get the local anaesthetic in!  Bloody hell, how do folk cope with having bloody great lumps of metal stuck through their tongues?

Much hilarity in the office for an hour or two afterwards whenever I tried to speak.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1638 on: 02 June, 2017, 08:49:25 pm »
Having only done commutes for...oh, two years, I've been riding more, and leading a weekly after-work ride gives me no place to hide..  This Wednesday was the first day I felt as if I'd got my mojo back.  I think I only used full effort once in 30 miles (to drag the fixie up a nasty hill) and, although I'm getting twinges of cramp in my calves, the old CV system seems to have plenty to spare.  Hilly 30 miles tomorrow morning - let's see if there really is a breakthrough or if I was just having a good day.  I thought I might need to use the turbo trainer - that ALWAYS gets me fit (after a few months on that, I could knock out about 350W for 20 mins when I was 25) but it's horrible.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1639 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:48:19 am »
Bah! :(
Just when I was beginning to get myself fit, I hurt my knee again. Nice 2 hour ride, get home, slip when doing hip flexor stretch and POP. Wasn't sore at the time, hurts now. Medial side of knee - either or both of slight meniscus tear or MCL  sprain. That's probably 4-6 weeks of not doing much (that's how long it was last time (Feb -March 2016)), and a chunk out of the summer. :(

simonp

« Reply #1640 on: 05 June, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »
"Intake of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and fish associated with a reduced risk of all-cause mortality"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28446499

https://twitter.com/BradSchoenfeld/status/871678105068474368

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1641 on: 05 June, 2017, 03:54:04 pm »
Is that NEWS?

ian

« Reply #1642 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:27:12 pm »
Sadly, apparently it is news that eating a healthy diet of fruit, veg, and unprocessed ingredients is, erm, healthy.

Chris S

« Reply #1643 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:33:14 pm »
I asked the receptionist at the doctors today, for a printout of my most recent blood panel.
She looked at me like I'd just asked to see her tits  :D.

I have to go back tomorrow once she's "got the doctor's permission" which sounds a lot like a fob-off to me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1644 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:23:21 pm »
Sadly, apparently it is news that eating a healthy diet of fruit, veg, and unprocessed ingredients is, erm, healthy.

Well I never!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1645 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »
I asked the receptionist at the doctors today, for a printout of my most recent blood panel.
She looked at me like I'd just asked to see her tits  :D.

I have to go back tomorrow once she's "got the doctor's permission" which sounds a lot like a fob-off to me.

I think I have had similar; it seems silly but I suppose some results might need to be discussed with a doctor first.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1646 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »
I don't understand or appreciate this approach; it makes me angry. It is my data about my condition. Why keep it a secret from me?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1647 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »
Suspect it's a 'house rule' about ALL results.
Simple blood numbers might seem uncomplicated but if there's an X-ray or histology report in which there's a suspicion of something serious, a doctor mightwant an in-depth discussion about matters.
A blanket rule...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1648 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:25:01 pm »
That data is mine, not something to be kept from me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1649 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:34:42 pm »
That data is mine, not something to be kept from me.

AIUI this is one of those situations where there's the law, and then there's common sense.

There's a big gap in the middle full of gatekeepers, tedious and expensive arrangements for Subject Access Requests, and much sanitising of records from the days before patients would be expected to read what doctors had written about them.