Author Topic: Rohloff-equipped Moulton TSR, circa 2006  (Read 1978 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
    • Bailey
Rohloff-equipped Moulton TSR, circa 2006
« on: June 01, 2014, 10:08:10 am »
I've recently uploaded a review of a Rohloff-equipped Moulton TSR (full suspension space-frame small-wheeler) with 7,000 miles on the clock. The review was written by an experienced cyclist Dave Butler.

Dave is something of a Moulton enthusiast and got in touch after he read some of my comments about the disadvantages of small-wheel bikes. He was keen to show that the Moulton TSR overcame some of these. He clearly loves the ride quality, though he's candid about a wheel failure he experienced, and he's not totally smitten with the Rohloff just because it's a bit noisy.

What's really interesting in the performance of this drive train. At a thousand miles a year for seven years, the chain has not elongated and the gears have stayed aligned. Seems to support the Rohloff's reputation as the cycle tourist's hub gear.

http://cyclingfortransport.com/reviews/bikes/moulton-tsr/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Rohloff-equipped Moulton TSR, circa 2006
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:37:02 am »
HK has been Audaxing on a Moulton since 2011 and I've been doing the same since 2003. Comfort is significantly better, as is descending. Rim life is about 2/3 of similar 700C rims. HK has racked up over 13,000km on her Moulton with 1 swap of rims. The current ones are fine for another year or 2. We tend to stick to big wheels (and hub gears/ fixed respectively) during Winter for that reason.

The former MrsLWaB has also had a Rohloff TSR since 2008. The drier roads in Oz mean little rim wear. The Rohloff is a bit of a coffee grinder in use. HK much prefers the Alfine 11 on her MTB.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »
I am now the owner of bikes with both Alfine-11 and Rohloff and I have to say that I prefer the Alfine in general use as it is much quieter. I also significantly prefer the trigger shifter to the twist grip.

However the Alfine needs a little more TLC to keep running properly (alignment of cable for smooth shifting) whereas the Rohloff seems to be effectively bomb-proof.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 06:56:53 pm »
I am now the owner of bikes with both Alfine-11 and Rohloff and I have to say that I prefer the Alfine in general use as it is much quieter. I also significantly prefer the trigger shifter to the twist grip.

However the Alfine needs a little more TLC to keep running properly (alignment of cable for smooth shifting) whereas the Rohloff seems to be effectively bomb-proof.

I concur.
Interestingly my Ergon GP1 on the Rohloff side is worn smooth with a couple of holes developing.