Author Topic: Shand Skinnymalinky  (Read 2786 times)

Shand Skinnymalinky
« on: January 08, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »
Recently arrived as a replacement for failed Ti frameset---12 weeks in the building etc but worth the wait.

All parts and fork transferred across from Ti frame;

IMG_2341 by jamesld8, on Flickr

Frame build quality and the paint finish is outstandingly good---it`s IMO absolutely stunningly finished  ;D ;D

Have been able to do 2 x 40km rides on it and it is a marvellous ride, springy and agile is how I`d describe it, smooths out roughness in roads and just feels so good to ride. If you`ve read Brian Palmers Washingmachinepost review I`d endorse everything he says---cattle grids are ironed out to smoothness, and the bike feels so lively.

Build is Campag Centaur / Record with Hope / Open Pro 32 wheels fitted with 27mm Pave III, saddle is Gilles Berthoud Aspin (and yes It`s comfy even at the jaunty nose up angle !!) and bars are Carboncycle exotic flattop  carbon / Al matrix. Brakes Shimano deep drop.

Total weight with pedals, mudguards incl is just under 10kg---frame is about 1.8kg medium in 853 tubing throughout

Really really pleased with it  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: Shand Skinnymalinky
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »
It looks very nice, great colour and lots of nice kit on it.  I didn't realise that they were still building these, as I looked at the website and they appeared to be on hold.  Hope it rides as good as it looks, does it feel stiff at the back?

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:41:55 am »
It looks very nice, great colour and lots of nice kit on it.  I didn't realise that they were still building these, as I looked at the website and they appeared to be on hold.  Hope it rides as good as it looks, does it feel stiff at the back?

Glad you like it  ;D  I ordered this from Shand back early October and as such was one of last Skinnym in this design; BUT from talking to Steve sounds as if when they bring out the tweaked version it may be a bike to use with discs---if this is so then it will be a superb bike indeed (I didn`t go with discs as already have winter disc bike and spare non disc wheels).

As for stiffness, I`d say more springy and compliant, but that doesn`t seem to have detracted from power transfer; there`s a little bit of flex in BB area under high load eg out of saddle uphills but nowt untoward.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:18:07 am »
That's a striking looking bike, love the colour.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:29 am »
After some fettling / fiddling now set up with SP PV 8 front dynohub and forks replaced with Wound Up carbon; bars swopped to much more comfortable FSA K wings which give extensive flat top sections for hand positions

shand 853 pbp by jamesld8, on Flickr

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:41:05 pm »
Looks lovely and I am so glad I am not the only person with mismatched bottle cages!

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 06:48:09 am »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

Blingey matching water bottles have never been something I`ve given much thought to--they do the job,  so that`s it for me ;D

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:59:37 am »
Beautiful Machine