Author Topic: Halfords do a tourer/cross bike. a bargain or a BSO?  (Read 4093 times)

Halfords do a tourer/cross bike. a bargain or a BSO?
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:58:41 pm »
Following on from the crixus we have the Carrera Tanneri Limited Edition Cyclocross Bike 2015 - Blue

This ones 299 but with Claris, Tekro and a cheap chainset... Same as the Crixus but with rack mounts.

Pop on a Claris chainset and better  tyres and it may be worth it.

One is tempted. Any one else ?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Halfords do a tourer/cross bike. a bargain or a BSO?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:15:36 pm »
It would work as a light tourer. Steel tourers are a little comfier but I rode an Aluminium tourer for years and it was fine. There's no rack mounts on the front which may limit it as a tourer (though there are mudguard eyes), and the gearing is rather high for me, but I'm sure it would be a decent enough bike.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 09:06:35 am »
That looks very useabe.  And good value. I bought the road equivalent (can't remember the name) for my step-son super cheap as it had no bar tape and was missing one brake bolt and it's been ideal as his first 'proper' bike.

I see the Crixus is down to £250 online....
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:18:10 am »
I see the Crixus is down to £250 online....

.... and if you got it during one of their online , two hour, 10% off all products, flash sales it would be even less. (actually the most recent of these was 13% off to celebrate Friday the 13th)

Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:53:25 pm »
I have had a Crixus as a winter / hack bike for ages, been fine and great value