Author Topic: Boardman Team Carbon  (Read 1961 times)

Boardman Team Carbon
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:53:27 pm »
So I felt like a racing bike again.  This was on a fairly good offer (it's normally £999, just under the bike to work limit, but I paid substantially less) and no thanks, I'll assemble it myself, Mr. Halfords.  I didn't think much of the wheels with their plain gauge spokes and unbranded hubs, so sold them and bought some DT ones instead.  I also replaced the spongy saddle and the seatpost.  It's 18lb dead without pedals.  OK, my old 531 Orbit was 18.8lb, but that had downtube shifters and STI is very very heavy, especially Tiagra which is what we have here.  I suppose the frame is well over a pound lighter than 531 - I think it's just over 1kg.

The light weight is very noticeable when riding; it goes up hill a lot easier than my commuter and accelerates much more easily.  Well, compared to Marathon Plus tyres anything is going to spin up faster.  There's no damping of road buzz so that seems to be a carbon myth.  Compact chainsets are a bit rubbish - you seem to want the small ring and third smallest sprocket or the big ring and the third largest sprocket for cruising at 100rpm (60-65" gear), neither of which are very smooth because of the crossed chain angle.  STI works ok but I don't see the advantage over bar end shifters and it's all a bit boys' toys really.  Fat-tubed carbon frames are rather noisy!  The frame is very stiff laterally - no odd chain or brake rubs, which is more than I can say for most steel road frames I've had.

It's very well finished and fairly well specified for the price.  The Tektro brakes are a lot weaker than proper Shimano dual-pivots but I expect they just want better pad inserts.  I doubt it has any street credibility whatsoever but when all bikes come out of three factories in Taiwan, I'm not bothered.
Never tell me the odds.

Re: Boardman Team Carbon
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:43:36 pm »
Hiya.  :) Just seen your post & comments on Boardman.  Halfords have a few left and by joining British Cycling (£21) you get 10% off the current  £750 price. I have had one for past 15 month. Had outstanding service & repairs from Chester, Sealand Road. Even new frame under warranty.  Done upgrade on wheels & seat. Also done PBP & 30+ Audax with approximately 16000km. Personally I rate it but not as much as my Ultegra Boardman. New Titanium, Disc & Di2 bikes have my attention £3.5k & £5k. Except not sold by Halfords! (They do: Carbon 105/11speed with discs @ £1500 best value Audax bike) So will wait for prices to drop in sales,  what  bike  for 2017  LEL?.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:34:23 pm »
Having ridden it a fair bit more, it still feels oddly dead to ride, although the gearing is much improved with 53/39.  20 gears are too many, I think, and they never all work smoothly (I find this with anything with more than a 7 speed cassette at the back).  The light weight is the best attribute as it doesn't handle especially nicely - my old Orbit was much sharper on downhill bends.

Let's put it this way: I have to lead a ride on Wednesday around the same hilly 30-miler that I rode on Saturday, and I'm taking a 1950s 3-speed rather than the Team Carbon.  It may weigh 4lb more but all the gears are silent and it carves turns properly.  And a 52" bottom gear will get you up an alp.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:03:23 pm »
It's a shame that I'm going to devastate the one-post-per-year-average of this thread by commenting on that very thing.

But shit happens.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.