Author Topic: Velo Orange Polyvalent  (Read 1237 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Velo Orange Polyvalent
« on: February 24, 2016, 08:16:44 am »
In my old age, I'm seriously considering investing in a "proper" touring frame and find myself strangely attracted to the Velo Orange Polyvalent (with some slight reservations about the 650 wheels).
Does anyone have any experience of this frame, or indeed VeloOrange frames in general?
Thanks
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Re: Velo Orange Polyvalent
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:23:15 pm »
FWIW, I had one of their Randonneur (discontinued) frames for a while. Well made enough. Nothing remarkable. Awkward rear dropouts. Not a lightweight. The forks, especially, were a bit of a boat anchor, I seem to recall. Built to a price but serviceable. Can't tell you anything specific about later models. Overall my impression of the brand is not bad for the price, but not outstanding, either.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:10:49 pm »
I can see the attraction, I like the French randonneur look too. 

I don't have any first hand experience but I was looking at the Pass Hunter (disc) a while back and I do recall finding quite a bit of anecdotal stuff on some US sites regarding frame  problems but it seemed to me to be a quality control thing.  I guess if you bought a frame via a UK retailer it would be fine.   

I wouldn't be too put off by the 650b wheels but you have to accept it's still very much against the grain in the uk unless you're talking about MTB gear of course.  Wheels/tyres for rim brakes and road use are harder to find but there are outfits like Freshtripe and those nice people at Velo Vitality who import road specific 650b gear. 

However, this is just my opinion but I'm a recent convert to disc brakes and especially for a "heavy duty" bike I wouldn't consider a rim braked frame now however pretty it might be.  I should say this is highly influenced by where I live in the UK, but I'm not sure I could return to rim brakes even if I moved to the balmy South, not that there's the remotest possibility of that...     

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:37:06 pm »
I built a Polyvalent and quite liked it, but sold it anyway. It was actually quite nice with a front load on the American French style rack. It was also funny that the average speed was always higher than I expected after a ride, whereas my then carbon bike was usually slightly slower than it felt. The Polyvalent was definitely a bit slower,  just not as much as it felt.

I've now got a Pass Hunter (not the disc version, which is what I would buy now), very deliberately built up with lots of black and no shiny. I'm running 35mm tubeless tyres on it and I prefer it to the memory of Poly, although time can deceive. Both are comfy, reasonably responsive and sensibly practical bikes wi th a bit of retro style. The Polyvalent is better with some front load, but the Pass Hunter doesn't care.

I wouldn't worry.about the 650b wheels. Just be sure that you buy some Here's or the Compass version if you buy the Poly.

I should add, they look brilliant when kitted up. There's a couple.of pics of mine somewhere in members bikes or reviews.

Jamie at Freshtripe is great, as are velo vitality.

I should be.clear though, that for a blast around the country I will generally take the Gf Ti. The Vo's are more relaxed bikes, and the Kinesis and Spa Audax a bit more performance biased.

Mike