Author Topic: Giant Liv 3  (Read 618 times)

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
Giant Liv 3
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:23 pm »
I bought this bike from Edinburgh bike co-op last July, I also bought with it  a rack, pannier set lights and front wicker basket with quick release.
I would like to know if anyone else has had experiences like mine.
Firstly, if I put anything heavier than fresh air in the basket the bike was so unstable that I dare not ride it. (I have been riding since 1956 and I think I have a little experience)
There were a few minor issues with the set-up from ebc in Sheffield but easily sorted.
The worst problem is that the bike handles like it's on jelly. With any luggage on board it is so twitchy that I feel unsafe riding it and thus don't use it.
I found that removing the basket improved the handling no end, fine, but I'd paid for the QR basket.
Still the bike feels as if it's joined in the middle.
To make it worse, the stem now has a speckling of rust all over it, on a 11mnth old bike. Sorry, but not good enough.
I bought a Giant because it was the only frame large enough for a lady of my height, also, in the past giant have been one of my favourite bikes.
I am disappointed with the handling , with and without the basket, I am also unhappy with the beginnings of rust on a £500 bike after only 11 months.
Most of all I am worried about the handling which frightens me.
Anyone else have any experience of this model ?
Liz

Re: Giant Liv 3
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:57 pm »
Which model are you referring to? There are several Liv ranges each with a "3" model in them.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:09:43 am »
Rust: if you don't think the bike is of merchantable quality, then take it back to the dealer. You have a right to a replacement or refund. Whether rust is acceptable after 11 months is debatable but the dealer is the place to start.

Handling: any weight on the bars or forks, e.g. handlebar bag or front panniers is going to make the bike feel more twitchy as the steering becomes more sensitive to small inputs. The geometry of the bike is also going to affect this. In your case, if only a small addition of weight to the front end affects it to such a degree then I wonder of the design of the frame is to blame? Assuming nothing is broken or loose. Maybe this is a bike that shouldn't have a basket?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:11:08 am »
Should this not be merged with the thread already started in retailers?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped