Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175941 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #425 on: 14 May, 2017, 02:47:49 pm »

+1114.8 vs Godwin line
+920.9 vs Searvogel line
-395.9 vs Amanda after 70 days
-1095.4 vs projected Coker line

Is the "projected Coker line" just a straight line i.e. shows the average required to do every day to match Coker's projected total?

[Without seeing graphs I struggle to figure this stuff out, sorry!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #426 on: 14 May, 2017, 09:12:43 pm »
-395.9 vs Amanda after 70 days
-1095.4 vs projected Coker line

Is the "projected Coker line" just a straight line i.e. shows the average required to do every day to match Coker's projected total?

[Without seeing graphs I struggle to figure this stuff out, sorry!]
Spot on. 
Her anticipated total (only anticipated for a few more hours) / 365 * the number of days Steve has ridden.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

SoreTween

« Reply #427 on: 22 May, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
Week 11:

Those who worry about sleep issues take note this week, if anything is going to show up surely this (week 12) will be the week.  Last week Steve pushed every irregular sleep boundary.  He posted 13 rides which means he was active at midnight 6 out of 7 days.   From lunchtime on Thusday he was active for 36.5 hours straight of which he was moving for 30.75 hours.  He did allow himself rest of 14 hours before and 12 hours after that marathon.  The result is his second highest total for the year, 2566.9 miles or 227.86 mpd average.  Week 1 was highest naturally.

His routes were interesting, for a change he did keep to the flatlands.  8813 mtrs climbed is his lowest weekly total by 500mtrs and only his second week under 10,000.  Steve didn't use this to gain speed, his average for the week was 26.15 but there's no automatic correlation as Steve consciously controls his speed.  We do have enough data though to see if there is an unconscious relationship between speed and meters climbed. 
This is a spread of his rides so far, speed in kmh on the horizontal and meters climbed vertical:

Lopsided in the expected direction?  Add a trend line:

Yep, a clear trend to flatter routes = more speed.  That outlier looks like it is skewing things though, lets remove that:

The outlier (3rd April, his east coast route to Ferrybridge with a reasonable tailwind) was skewing the result but the trend is certainly there.

Does anyone know if the kJ work done figure on Strava comes from his power meter or a guesstimate from the route?

1270.2 ahead of the Godwin line.
1056.9 ahead of the Searvogel line.
1157.5 behind the Coker line.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #428 on: 22 May, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »
From Strava

Total Work, expressed in kilojoules (kJ), is simply the sum of the watts generated during your ride. There is a close 1–to–1 ratio with Total Work and Calories expended during a ride.

Since he's running a power meter, the kJ figure will be from that.  Remember, energy = power * time.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #429 on: 22 May, 2017, 02:56:11 pm »
My last quote was from a ride on which I had a power meter.  Here's the equivalent text from a ride in which I didn't have a power meter.

You'll note that if you have a PM then Strava gives 'Power', whereas if you don't have one, it gives 'Est Power'.

Energy Output measures the amount of work you've done during a ride, expressed in kilojoules (KJ). It is a factor of how much you're pedaling, how fast you're pedaling and how much force you're exerting on the pedals (measured in W). Power output is most accurately taken from a power meter, but if you don't have a power meter we give a rough approximation through our power estimator.

SoreTween

« Reply #430 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:32:18 pm »
The result is his second highest total for the year, 2566.9 miles or 227.86 mpd average.  Week 1 was highest naturally.
Weeks are slippery things.  If take day 1 as day 1, and week 12 as Sat 13-Fri 19 May, you do indeed get that.  But if you align with a Monday-Sunday week, skipping the first two days (which I think Steve has mentioned in his videos, and which aligns to Strava weekly totals which makes for easy cross-checking) the week from 15-21 May was actually his lowest since the start, at only 215 mpd.
Funny what pops out of the numbers when you look and I missed Steve saying that.  It's surprising that which weekend forms part of the week makes such a significant difference.  The weekend before was certainly big but the weekend after didn't seem that small.  Using the strict day number week he has 3 lower than 215mpd.

Thanks all for the quotes on strava power.  I may go back over the rides and add that to my spreadsheet then see what relationship there is with climb and speed.  Don't anyone hold their breath though.

Phil W

« Reply #431 on: 22 May, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »
Steve stopped like clockwork  at Royston McDonalds. We must have a loyalty card by now.

« Reply #432 on: 24 May, 2017, 06:45:44 am »
He's having a real good crack at this you know - keep going Steve!

« Reply #433 on: 24 May, 2017, 07:59:17 am »
Yes, well done Steve, the weather's turning getting better so just enjoy being out on the bike, you deserve it after all that wind and rain.

SoreTween

« Reply #434 on: 27 May, 2017, 01:57:22 pm »
Week 12:

Fairly normal week for Steve.  He's kept to the fens a fair bit and recorded a third week under 10,000m climbed (9050m).  He was out past midnight twice and neither benefited him in mileage but that's not why he does it I'm sure.  He rode a long Saturday returning home at 6am Sun then back out for a short one, 411.7 miles.  Thursday he set out at 09:52 and was moving 29 of the following 36 hours for 441.7 miles.  Both those are below his year to date daily average of 221.7.  Thursday night was particularly still which is far more likely the reason he was out.
Of the other three days he was out & back before midnight two were above his year to date average.

216.76 mpd average for the week
1347.9 ahead vs Tommy
1115.3 ahead vs Kurt
1300.5 behind vs Amanda

« Reply #435 on: 28 May, 2017, 08:45:44 pm »
I overtook Steve today while heading to Mother in law's house, in the car. He looked happy enough bombing up the A10.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #436 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:18:12 pm »
... and spotted him again today on his way to Little Downham - I was in the car again as I had just picked grandsons up.

Go Steve !
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #437 on: 01 June, 2017, 11:46:45 am »
Late start today? Hope all's well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #438 on: 01 June, 2017, 01:40:08 pm »
Looks like Steve has taken my quota of beastie bites while I've been stuck indoors.

https://twitter.com/steve_abraham74/status/870218812053958656

SoreTween

« Reply #439 on: 10 June, 2017, 10:45:46 am »
Week 13:
A new record low on meters climbed (8794), high since week 1 on daily average (231.15)

Week 14:
A handful short of a new record high on meters climbed (12559) and not great on daily average (215.61)

Both of these are I'm sure down to the wind.  It was pretty mild at the end of May but June has so far been exceedingly vent lateral.

+1596 vs Tommy
+1324 vs Kurt
-1494 vs Amanda

« Reply #440 on: 10 June, 2017, 07:13:40 pm »
Saw Steve this morning in MK just after the start of today's ride. Gave a friendly toot and a wave from the car and he smiled and waved back. He was looking good  :)

Go Steve.

SoreTween

« Reply #441 on: 12 June, 2017, 03:18:27 pm »
Steve appears to have taken a 2 hour nap in an Audax hotel in Clophill early yesterday morning. After that he went home arriving about 07:50 and stayed there all day.  Any word on book face etc? Planned or unplanned basically? It was day 100.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #442 on: 12 June, 2017, 07:44:36 pm »
Is an "audax hotel" a euphemism for a bus shelter?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #443 on: 12 June, 2017, 07:45:43 pm »
That's my understanding, yes.
Rust never sleeps

SoreTween

« Reply #444 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:04:39 pm »
Whatever was up (if anything) isn't today.  According to the Ivanoscope he's been moving at 29kph since 09:00.

« Reply #445 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:19:08 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #446 on: 13 June, 2017, 03:50:33 pm »
Average 29.8km/h so far today, going well.

SoreTween

« Reply #447 on: 13 June, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »
Is Steve realistically able to challenge Amanda's year record?
The daily requirement to do so is currently 243.57 miles, yesterday he covered 235.3. By a combination of speed and eliminating all stops he was home getting proper rest an hour earlier than usual and is going well today. Could he get the extra 8 per day? Probably, a couple of days a month drafting a club chain gang could be all it took to make the difference.
But that ignores the almost total lack of wind these two days. Realistically he hasn't a hope.
He's gonna blitz Kurt though and set a real world record that will stand a long time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #448 on: 14 June, 2017, 07:09:57 am »
I don't think Steve is making an attempt on Amanda's record. I think he is mostly concerned with beating Godwin and Kurt: Steve was always trying to "meet like with like" - hence the choice of Raleigh bikes and riding on British roads. There's also the age group record which has been set by some bloke called Steve Abraham. I am sure he would like to beat that.

I am certain that he would be utterly thrilled to make 80,000 miles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #449 on: 14 June, 2017, 08:18:17 am »
Amanda Coker is doing 360km days with a total ascent of 143m. 

Typically I consider a ride to be "flat" if it's below 1% average or 3600m over 360km.  143m is ludicrous.

She also lapped a course 30 times or so.

I'm sure "the spirit" of the record has been discussed at length but this surely not in the spirit. 

I'd be in favour of introducing a rule prohibiting the use of the same road twice in a day.  That means you can't leave a support vehicle in a layby and simply ride a luggage-free bike around all day, grabbing food/water as you pass it 30 times a day.

Having said that, doing short loops 30 times a day for 365 times a day is a different sort of challenge. 

Is Steve realistically able to challenge Amanda's year record?

Never normally respond to anything on these threads. I think the 'spirit' of the challenge is the ability to actually be able to do it regardless of locatuon/ machine/ support etc. Lets not forget that these guys are cycling 300-400km per day for a whole year. I've ridden these distances and that in itself is no mean feat. 1 day is tough. 365 days? No thanks. Hats off to anyone who even attempts.

EDIT. Would still love to see Steve do it. Even just to break Tommy's record would be huge