Author Topic: Considering entering the dark side  (Read 28426 times)

Phil W

Re: Considering entering the dark side
« Reply #175 on: 05 February, 2017, 09:27:28 am »
Second 200 completed yesterday. Weather turned good but mercury plummeted after sun set.

« Reply #176 on: 05 February, 2017, 09:59:08 am »
How do you find your average speed on the bent compared to a DF?

I've found that while I can ride decent distances on the bent my average speed is lower than my road bike.  Of course it isn't a completely fair comparison as the bent is a touring bike and a rather heavy one at that.  This doesn't bother me when I'm on my own but I think I'd find it difficult to maintain a social pace on an Audax.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #177 on: 05 February, 2017, 11:10:39 am »
Hi Joe,

IME, as I have 2 Performers (the 20/26" Amigo and a 700c SAKI) it depends on the recumbent.

My 20/26 (on Marathon Racers) is about 10% slower on average than my Giant DF road bike, and the SAKI (on Conti Gatorskins) is 15 to 20% faster.

I bought the SAKI (which has my Mavic road bike wheels and some of the gearset) as I wanted an audax recumbent that would keep up with the field - but I've yet to put that to the test - should be this year.

I've audaxed the 20/26 and whilst I'm not at the front, I'm by no means the slowest - but since I'm over 60 and a big lad I wouldn't expect to be. 

I assume that your touring recumbent is not a 700c Highracer, but you should not let that put you off doing audaxes on it.

« Reply #178 on: 05 February, 2017, 11:36:12 am »
Hi Andy,

I probably will start using my bent for Audax rides and such, particularly as I now have my recumbent legs. I'm also finding that after anything more that 30 miles or so on a drop bar DF I really notice the aches and pains now that I've become accustomed to the bent.

I do miss the acceleration and speed of the DF when I'm on the bent and aspire to eventually own a fast 700c bent. That won't happen for a while though.

In the interim I may treat the Seiran to a pair of lighter 26" rims and lighter tyres & tubes, as they say, an ounce off the wheel and all that.   

Phil W

« Reply #179 on: 05 February, 2017, 09:24:28 pm »
Slower than road bike over 200km, on average about the same over 100km. Both with plenty of time to spare for audax time limits. With only just coming up to 700km laid back my legs are still adapting. Average speed climbing month on month.

Great thing about audax is you can ride together when you choose to and no one gets upset when the other pushes on. Besides if you're slightly slower on your Sieran you'll get to ride with those you'd normally be ahead of.  There's always someone to ride with unless you are already tail end Charlie on your DF.