Author Topic: The number of Olympic gold medallists I have ridden with is now... 5!  (Read 1714 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Nicole Cooke started off doing our club 10s when she was about 13. Her dad still turns up to marshall our road race and I sometimes see him out on the bike in his old club jersey.

Geraint Thomas graduated from the Maindy Flyers and joined our rival club. For a few years riders from our club and his used to ride out on Saturdays from the LBS. He won everything locally in 2006, including our club road race, where he was allowed to race with the E/1/2/3s despite still being a junior.

Dani King is the girlfriend of Luke Rowe's brother Matt, and she's spent a lot of time round here riding, especially in the winter.

Owain Doull also graduated from the Maindy Flyers and rode with us for a couple of years, along with his dad.

Elinor Barker was another who went from Maindy Flyers to the Cardiff Ajax. Her younger sister Megan surely has a bright future in racing as well.

I can think of many Commonwealth games riders, a paralympian gold medallist, and also a track world champion who've been on our clubruns. What other sport sport could give you this?

Re: The number of Olympic gold medallists I have ridden with is now... 5!
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2016, 06:58:11 am »
What other sport sport could give you this?

Marathon running?

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2016, 11:01:26 am »
What other sport sport could give you this?

Marathon running?

Speedskating (I lost count of how many, out of the top of my head, Maaike Head (now rowing), Erben Wennermars, Piet Kleine, Paulien van Deutekom)

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2016, 11:13:51 am »
Rallying allows access to compete against the best in the world at the same time on the same stage. I co-drove in the 2010 Rally GB World Championship event so have some result sheets with Sebastian Loeb and all the worlds best at the top and we are somewhere near the bottom of page two! We'd quite often come across the top cars waiting for those of us near the back to complete the first run through a stage as they waited for their second so would have a chat and a look round their cars. Admittedly it's an expensive way of competing against the best but the access is there (and I wasn't paying).

I rode briefly with a club in Essex where Alex Dowsett had been a member, on return trips home from Belgium where he was in a team before joining Sky he'd re-appear for club runs occasionally and one of his Jerseys is in the Blue Egg café near Finchingfield which was a regular stop (alongside one of Cav's world jerseys).
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2016, 12:52:33 pm »
I was in the same club as Bradley Wiggins.

But as I left the club 6 months before he was born, we never actually rode together.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo