Author Topic: 2017: To Long Itch and Beyond ...  (Read 9709 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: 2017: To Long Itch and Beyond ...
« Reply #50 on: 31 January, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »
You're doing the 'how to win friends and influence people' thing again . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #51 on: 31 January, 2017, 07:48:59 pm »
You saw right through me.  :facepalm:

« Reply #52 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:07:23 am »
Mr Bear, I may well attend Long Itch but will probably travel by Canadian canoe. Canoeing skills share available on the canal.

« Reply #53 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:51:11 am »
Do we have a plan yet for this jaunt?

I have tentative plans for another ride that week - it would be good if we meet up for a night or so.

« Reply #54 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:00:30 pm »
i to would like to know where we are camping so i can conordenate with stoke lodge re apollos funding and support  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #55 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:09:12 pm »
Sorry.  Have lots on.

Haven't planned anything yet and was hoping for a bigger turnout.   Will think about it over the next few days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:10:01 pm »
Haven't planned anything yet and was hoping for a bigger turnout.

These may be related.

« Reply #57 on: 09 March, 2017, 10:04:11 pm »
I'll be taking a look at this next week.   A lot depends upon interested numbers and how the tour works.   I'm leaning towards a 'we'll be camping here and here and here... ' model and it's up to folks how they get from a to b to c etc.

I am told that there is a nice campsite at St. Neots so I might put that in.  Expecting to do no more than 40 miles in a day, probably closer to 30 in reality.

Then of course we'll need to coordinate the Suffolk weekend.

Also, we'll be checking out the special guest speaker on Saturday.   After this I am hopeful that I can do a reveal and will have firmed up details of the event and the ticket price.   I'm pretty sure that our speaker will attract a lot of interest here...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 09 March, 2017, 10:25:27 pm »
I'll be taking a look at this next week.   A lot depends upon interested numbers and how the tour works.   I'm leaning towards a 'we'll be camping here and here and here... ' model and it's up to folks how they get from a to b to c etc.

Sounds sensible.

Also, we'll be checking out the special guest speaker on Saturday.   After this I am hopeful that I can do a reveal and will have firmed up details of the event and the ticket price.   I'm pretty sure that our speaker will attract a lot of interest here...

I'm pretty sure we've all guessed who it is, anyway...   :D

« Reply #59 on: 09 March, 2017, 10:40:52 pm »
So, I'm really not being subtle then?   :D

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #60 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:05:04 am »
If this is still ongoing I'll make it for an Itch, Friday and Saturday nights, but unlikely to do the tour as I'm just not fit enough yet.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #61 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:59:21 am »
Another victim for Saturday night vegginess . . .  :demon:
VELOMANCER

« Reply #62 on: 10 March, 2017, 07:47:49 am »
That would be grand PD if you can make it.

Also, don't forget that we're hoping to go to Silverdale near Arnside in September.   Quite a bit closer for you methinks.   :)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #63 on: 11 March, 2017, 12:13:15 am »
About 10 miles to the site for me. I camped there a few years back and treated the area as if I didn't live in it, as a holiday trip basically. There's a few good bits around Morecambe bay and plenty in a few miles ride from the camp site.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #64 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:33:58 pm »
First two days are easy as it's my stomping ground.

Day 1:- ~40 miles, LI -> Silverstone -> Stoney Stratford (big supermarket) -> Gullivers C&CC site Milton Keynes. The sites on clay so can get a bit waterlogged if very wet, normally ok.

Day 2:- ~30 miles, MK -> Bedford -> St. Neots.
It's nicer via MK -> Onley -> Sharnbrook -> St. Neots but 5 miles longer.
C&CC site is on the riverbank, but only floods in extreme weather.

After that it's more tricky as it's out of my area and campsites get more rare util you hit the coast.
Either ~25 miles, B1046 to Cambridge C&CC site near Trumpington
Or ~45 Maidenhall. Campsite overlooks Air Base.

« Reply #65 on: 12 March, 2017, 10:16:20 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion tigerbiten.   i was toying with heading slightly further north to start with but all options will be considered. 

... we'll be checking out the special guest speaker on Saturday.   After this I am hopeful that I can do a reveal and will have firmed up details of the event and the ticket price.   I'm pretty sure that our speaker will attract a lot of interest here...

The guest speaker was, as expected, very entertaining.  We had a short conversation as there were many demands on time.  There is a telephone conversation scheduled for the latter end of the coming week to see if we can finalise arrangements.

There may be a fly in the ointment as this person has signed up to another challenge this year of a different nature but will be busy.   Fingers crossed.   

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #66 on: 12 March, 2017, 11:03:58 pm »
Guest speaker will have no bearing on my getting blitzed attendance...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #67 on: 17 March, 2017, 04:12:25 pm »
It's official.

Kajsa is coming to Long Itch on 6th May to present her "ayearinthesaddle" talk.

Tickets will have to be paid for I'm afraid but those attending the camping weekend and staying for at least two nights may get a discount.

I have to work it out with Mark at the pub now but watch this space.

Hmmm, should I start a separate thread I wonder...   

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #68 on: 20 March, 2017, 04:51:31 pm »
We are very much planning to be at Long Itch.  Can't do any tour, but may meet folks at the other end, if that's acceptable?
Getting there...

« Reply #69 on: 20 March, 2017, 04:52:03 pm »
Before I sign off and disappear to wet and windy, cold and cloudy Scotland for a few days I'd like to remind folks about this wonderful weekend approaching over the first full weekend of May.   

Along with all the usual Long Itch highlights we have the wonderful Kajsa attending to give us a presentation and take questions regarding her 'ayearinthesaddle' exploits and she covers everything from boils to Bumble, and everything in between.   :o

There is some interest in the tour to Suffolk and the subsequent gathering in Suffolk.   I will be talking more to the Suffolk expert on my return.   The plan is not to be overly ambitious with distances but to arrive in Suffolk having had a pleasant and convivial time.   Plans will emerge so please register your interest in both Long Itch, Kajsa, and the tour to Suffolk.

« Reply #70 on: 20 March, 2017, 04:54:12 pm »
re the tour:  A lot may depend upon whether folk want to break camp on the Sunday or the Monday, also, arriving in Suffolk on the Friday or the Saturday.   

Options will be forthcoming in April but opinions always welcome. 

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #71 on: 20 March, 2017, 05:03:02 pm »
We are planning to Long Itch and provisionally to tour although still working out logistics.

« Reply #72 on: 27 March, 2017, 12:15:27 pm »
I'll hopefully be there for the weekend, but won't be able to do the following week as I've got to be in work.  The colleague who usually covers for me is taking a month off for a Yoga instructors course!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 27 March, 2017, 03:28:09 pm »
My current thinking, so much as I've had any, is to come with barakta inna car with the big tent for the weekend, go home, and re-join the tour later by myself on a bike.

That's assuming I can achieve a reasonable degree of confidence in my Achilles before then.  I'm slowly building up the cycling mileage, but the crouching and squatting involved in small tents is as yet untested.  It still objects to emptying the washing machine after a bike ride...

« Reply #74 on: 12 April, 2017, 06:30:42 pm »
So, I have been extremely busy recently with work and other commitments, I finally got round to doing some detailed route planning at the weekend for the mini tour.   I was looking at MK, St. Neots and Cambridge as suggested above, but also the option of slightly more northerly and visiting Wing, Swaffham (because I'd like to take a trip up the wind turbine), Thetford, etc.   Heck, i was even going to join the C&CC! 

However, (there's always something, isn't there?) ...

Today I get a call from a regular client with what can only be described as a very very serious and high priority matter.   I cannot go into detail obviously though if I say that it involves child sex abuse, a former relative, the long arm of the law and social services, I am sure that you'll grasp the gravity of the matter.   My client needs to protect her children.

So, the paper trail starts now and there will numerous of both court hearings both civil and criminal nature over the next few weeks.   On this basis I really cannot commit to being away for the week as it's likely that there will be court visits and other demands on my time from now until well beyond the end of May.

The Long Itch weekend itself is still very much on and Kajsa is still booked for Saturday evening.   Costs for the weekend will be straight forward and are £5 per person over age 14 per night and £5 per person to go to Kajsa's talk.   

We have been planning a new ride for the Saturday with a new food stop.  We hope that you'll enjoy it. 

I can only apologise once again with regard to the mini tour which I was getting quite excited about, and I hope that you understand my predicament.