Author Topic: Travel Tips for PBP  (Read 1921 times)

Travel Tips for PBP
« on: 04 July, 2023, 12:28:54 pm »
Hi Folks,
have qualified for my first PBP and was planning on a fairly self sufficient trip from London to the start.
Train to Paris
train from Paris to near Rambouillet to my hotel
ride to start line

I've just realised that you cannot take a bike on eurostar unless it's disassembled and in a bag which has completely thrown my simple plans!
anyone got any tips on getting to PBP from the UK without breaking the bank or having to leave a week in advance of the start?!

cheers!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Travel Tips for PBP
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2023, 12:36:23 pm »
Hi Folks,
have qualified for my first PBP and was planning on a fairly self sufficient trip from London to the start.
Train to Paris
train from Paris to near Rambouillet to my hotel
ride to start line

I've just realised that you cannot take a bike on eurostar unless it's disassembled and in a bag which has completely thrown my simple plans!
anyone got any tips on getting to PBP from the UK without breaking the bank or having to leave a week in advance of the start?!

cheers!
book newhaven/dieppe ferry
get a train to somewhere near newhaven
get on the ferry, have a kip
get off ferry, ride to paris

on the way back do the same in reverse, possibly getting a French train back to Dieppe (line that goes via Rouen)
When you arrive in Blighty if it is early in the morning, expect a tedious wait for a train

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2023, 01:18:38 pm »
I've been to PBP four times using four different methods (ferry as above, fly, Eurostar, car) and the ferry was definitely the least hassle. Only thing to remember is to allow plenty of time for the ride back to Dieppe, because you won't be going anything like as quickly as you think you ought to be.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2023, 01:39:00 pm »
Ditto regarding multiple methods for getting to/ from PBP. Most options used from intercontinental air travel down to tunnelling under the Channel.

Ferry + riding was the most fun and took the longest duration. The 200km from the finish to the ferry feels a lot longer than the same route from the ferry to the start. I ferry/ drove to the last PBP and transported a couple of riders back to the ferry who had ridden all the way to the start.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2023, 01:41:30 pm »
I was not capable of riding home sitting on a bike after my first PBP and slept for 36 hours only waking to eat drink and toilet after the second.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2023, 02:33:53 pm »
In 2011 and 2015 I took my bike on Eurostar suitably reduced to fit in a large canvas shoulder bag measuring exactly the 85cm maximum limit they have for the 2 pieces of luggage that a bog standard passenger is allowed. 

This required (In order of removal iirc)

- pedals removed, cranks set to horizontal and cable tied to frame
- handlebars removed and cable tied to frame
- stem rotated 180 deg
- wheels removed and bagged within wheels bags within the 85cm bag.   
- saddle and seat post removed, stored in my other luggage bag 
- chain removed and stored in my other luggage bag.   
- rear mech removed and cable tied to the frame

Ive probably missed something from ^ but will only find out when I do this exercise in a few weeks time. 

Probably about 30 mins work each way.  I'll not pretend otherwise - the third and final disassembly post PBP / before heading home was something of a trial but it was 2 days after PBP. 

Stuff taken but not used during PBP left at a friends place in Paris.   

Its doable.  But its far from the easiest option (I don't mind as I'll avoid driving and flying wherever practically possible).   

Here's a pic of said bag. 

[/url]

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2023, 02:55:06 pm »
Ive used a similar bag, but one of the see-trough ones from Ikea
Ive also made my own from Garden Weed membrane (which became a groundsheet)and gaffer tape (touring)

I'm taking the ferry as I don't fancy taking my bike apart this time
Night ferries are good as you get some sleep and can ride out early.
This time I'm taking the train from the port to Paris
I recommend the SNCF train app.. its in English and easy to use and find discounts.
TER trains will take a built bicycle free.
RER to the venue? best cycle to an above ground station in Paris before continuing to Hotel.
Paris has lots of safe cycle lanes, and low traffic in August.

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2023, 04:11:09 pm »
amazing, thanks everyone!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2023, 08:15:13 pm »
got any tips on getting to PBP from the UK without breaking the bank

"without breaking the bank"?
Well, likewise, I've ridden there and back on all three occasions, and bearing in mind I'm a full valve rider, and all three PBP have been done with healthy doses of sleep deprivation, with loads of hallucinatory thrills along the way [I can't wait], I've not found the ride back to Dieppe too bad at all. If you leave Paris in decent time in the morning and are looking to get the midnight ferry, you've got loads of time to cover the 200km. Or do it over two days. On paper it might seem it's the last thing you ever want to do, but I've found it surprisingly manageable.

Unfortunately this year is going to be different. I'm going to have to protect my knee so riding there and [especially back] feels too risky.
I haven't booked anything yet, travel, hotel, nothing. Procrastination has it's price, and the price for me is the current price of the ferry with car.....gulp!!
If you see another thread appearing entitled, 'Help!'....that would be me!
Garry Broad