Author Topic: Running up that hill  (Read 2284 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Running up that hill
« on: 28 May, 2008, 08:30:28 am »
is hard work. I have been running into work as a way of getting a bit more exercise into my day (it is a <2 mile downhill cycle otherwise). One of the route options includes a diversion to run up a track (with irregular wooden steps - should be just about rideable on an MTB going up with some skill) to the observatory. Today was the first day I managed to run all the way up without stopping or slowing to a walk. I did have to walk once I had got over the top though..

So it feels like I am getting fitter. ;-)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: Running up that hill
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:35:00 am »
On a hill you should aim to reduce your step length and pace (with steps may be more difficult). Hill reps are a very good way of training for strength a bit later on in your training, so you could then repeat it! But don't overdo it early on (at this stage) and take it easy up it. It sounds steep.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

annie

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:38:47 am »
That's great news David.

Yesterday I ran up two hills that I could previously only get up with a struggle or stop and walk half way.  Like Frenchie said, I run with shorter strides and obviously lower the position of my arms.  Isn't it a wonderful feeling?

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:43:32 am »
Well, I am not aiming to break any speed records. The first part is a gentle but rocky slope, then there are a few low and long steps (>2m between treads of about 2-4"). The path steepens towards the top but never gets more than half the steepness of a proper set of steps, and that part is only the last 20m or so.

No problem with the short strides ;-) I am also wearing a backpack as it is my commute into work, so that adds about 8kg, but it is all strapped down tight so it doesn't move about.

..d

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:44:52 pm »
I find running up hill a lot easier if you can keep your breathing under control.  That's easier on a smooth road but a lot harder on rough ground or steps!  Well done.

I've only managed 1 run (flat) in the last month....

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:49:02 pm »
8 kg is a lot maybe?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

David Martin

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:35:01 pm »
8 kg is a lot maybe?

My jacket, bag, towel, boots, jeans, jumper, shirt, underwear, other bits, and the rucksack itself.

Could be as light as 6kg. Probably not less.

As I said, I am not breaking any speed records.

..d