Author Topic: 18 points!!  (Read 2939 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
18 points!!
« on: 11 March, 2014, 07:47:08 pm »
Driver gets flashed by the same camera everyday for a week and didn't realise what it was!
The camera is situated just before a dual carriageway where the speed for a truck goes from 40 to 50.
He was speeding up to hit the speed before he actually got to the dualled bit.
Goes to the court and gets 18 points added and a £1000 fine but gets to keep his licence due to financial hardship.
Does make you wonder sometimes!!

Re: 18 points!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »
Someone at work got caught by the same speed camera (at some roadworks) every day for a week.

Apparently he thought he would be Ok because he had heard that only one in ten cameras actually worked.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »
Someone at work got caught by the same speed camera (at some roadworks) every day for a week.

Apparently he thought he would be Ok because he had heard that only one in ten cameras actually worked.  :facepalm:

He could have been right. And unlucky.

« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2014, 09:16:58 pm »
He could have been right. And unlucky.

Speeding, for no good reason, is never right.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2014, 12:37:07 am »
I thought he was very lucky to get away without loosing his licence, the union rep said to ask the union for help as theyare good at sorting that stuff (not sure if they did or not though).
My way to look at it is how can you drive "professionally" down a road for a week and not see a camera there. Was he not looking!
Would like to know if he has told his insurance about it? I'll have to ask him tomorrow  :demon:

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2014, 07:44:29 am »
There's a French camera I pass that is placed behind a bridge support just after the limit drops to 90km/h.   I've no doubt many people trigger it in the day without realising it.  British motorists have it pretty easy by comparison.

Move Faster and Bake Things

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2014, 08:14:48 am »
All cameras should be camouflaged and mobile.
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
...British motorists have it pretty easy by comparison...

Which is a shame.

« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2014, 11:23:09 am »
I am shocked you are shocked, you know there are drivers in the uk with over 40 points (maybe even 50) but still able to drive due to the exact same reason (and probably others) you stated.

If you expect it to change, good luck with that because it simply will not.

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2014, 12:16:18 pm »
  British motorists have it pretty easy by comparison.

<Monty Python Mode ON> Tell that to drivers of today- they won't believe you!<Monty Python Mode OFF>

« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2014, 06:11:18 pm »
Our road is a narrow residential road with speed bumps and a 20mph limit. It's got one of those polite little signs advising you to slow down and showing you your speed.

I see drivers doing in excess of 30mph down the road every single day.

The Police have been informed, turn up every now and then in high viz jackets and brandishing a radar gun and get precisely nobody! - as far as they're concerned there is no problem. :facepalm:

« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2014, 06:24:21 pm »
Don't most people have a warning come up on their sat-nav these days?

How does the sat-nav know anyway? If it's not from a mapping database then maybe I can fit a device to my bike to trigger off speed camera warnings. :)

ian

« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »
Our road is a narrow residential road with speed bumps and a 20mph limit. It's got one of those polite little signs advising you to slow down and showing you your speed.

The Police have been informed, turn up every now and then in high viz jackets and brandishing a radar gun and get precisely nobody! - as far as they're concerned there is no problem. :facepalm:

But surely the frowny face is punishment enough.

Maybe we should pout at burglars. Stern looks for murderers. That'll show them the error of their ways. That way we can keep the prisons free for proper criminals, the truly diabolical, the lowest of the low, those for whom no punishment is too great, too dire, too unusual. You know who I mean. TV licence dodgers and their lowly ilk. Tonnes of speeding metal. Dead kids. Sun in my eyes, mate, dazzled I was. Nerves playing up, touch of sciatica. Momentary lapse, that's all. My solicitors says I'm sorry but I'm not careless. Accident, that's all. I'm hardworking. My character is good. Spotless. Other than the few points on my licence. Going a bit fast, that's all. Everyone does it. In a hurry. No crime there.

« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2014, 06:46:28 pm »
Don't most people have a warning come up on their sat-nav these days?

How does the sat-nav know anyway? If it's not from a mapping database then maybe I can fit a device to my bike to trigger off speed camera warnings. :)
Mapping, I'm afraid.
And I always turn the alerts off. Makes a hell of a racket even if you're not speeding (I don't need to know about a speed camera if I'm not speeding! And I try very hard not to speed).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2014, 12:40:36 am »
Would like to know if he has told his insurance about it? I'll have to ask him tomorrow  :demon:

No he hasn't told them apparently, didn't know he had to. It is up for renewal next month anyway!
I told him to let them know as if he was in an accident it could invalidate his insurance.
He said the points were wrong anyway as the judge said he would get 3 points and the fine. Which he is going to look into.
I think they probably said 3 points per offence and the fine, which I think he misunderstood as English is his second language (ex Gurkha).

Trull

• The settee will kill you
    • Aberdeen Astronomical Society
« Reply #15 on: 15 March, 2014, 09:07:02 am »
Harrumph from the makers of Top Gear: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23967547

« Reply #16 on: 15 March, 2014, 08:34:04 pm »

spindrift

« Reply #17 on: 16 March, 2014, 08:57:12 am »
A spokesman for HM Courts & Tribunals Service said: "The vast majority of drivers who get 12 or more penalty points are fined and disqualified from driving.

That beeb link. I understood nearly half of all drivers on more than twelve points are still on the road.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #18 on: 16 March, 2014, 12:17:16 pm »

But surely the frowny face is punishment enough.

Maybe we should pout at burglars. Stern looks for murderers. That'll show them the error of their ways. That way we can keep the prisons free for proper criminals, the truly diabolical, the lowest of the low, those for whom no punishment is too great, too dire, too unusual. You know who I mean. TV licence dodgers and their lowly ilk. Tonnes of speeding metal. Dead kids. Sun in my eyes, mate, dazzled I was. Nerves playing up, touch of sciatica. Momentary lapse, that's all. My solicitors says I'm sorry but I'm not careless. Accident, that's all. I'm hardworking. My character is good. Spotless. Other than the few points on my licence. Going a bit fast, that's all. Everyone does it. In a hurry. No crime there.

I have three of those signs near me. With the exception of things such as tractors, or when there is a queue, almost very vehicle I see passing them triggers them. The one that used to be at the entrance to Gatwick, in a thirty-zone, used to display the speed. I regularly saw speeds in excess of forty, several times over fifty, and once over seventy.

If Rich's man can't see a yellow box on a stick surrounded by warning signs, then he will not see a cyclist or similar. His indignation is all too typical: me? Pay a fine? Why?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

spindrift

« Reply #19 on: 16 March, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »
yeah, thought so, found it, 2011:

Nearly half of motorists with 12 or more penalty points on licence allowed to keep driving by the courts

http://road.cc/content/news/44102-courts-let-nearly-half-motorists-who-accrue-12-or-more-penalty-points-continue

Is 57% a "vast majority"? Not really, is it?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #20 on: 16 March, 2014, 01:39:52 pm »
  British motorists have it pretty easy by comparison.

They certainly do.
Not only do they break the law wrt speeding on a daily basis & are allowed to continue  driving,they are allowed to kill cyclists & remain at liberty