Author Topic: Brevet Cymru / Porkers combo  (Read 7755 times)

Re: Brevet Cymru / Porkers combo
« Reply #25 on: 23 January, 2018, 08:52:34 am »
I'll take that as a definite 'maybe' then !

You dodged a bullet last year with porkers - the weather exceeded the worst predictions. Which must mean that this year's weather must be better - right ?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #26 on: 14 May, 2018, 12:45:26 pm »
We had (at least) two more brevet porkers riders this year !

Which has got me thinking ... why not have a roll of honour for those who've managed this insane feat ?

I was thinking of a page listing all the riders willing to be listed. All I need to get started are names, dates and noteworthy extra info - such as 'rode fixed', 'rode between Chepstow & Poole' etc. ...

Any thoughts ? Any takers ??

« Reply #27 on: 14 May, 2018, 02:04:12 pm »
Sounds good  :thumbsup:
Who was the other rider this year then? Hippy and..

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #28 on: 14 May, 2018, 04:28:31 pm »
Shaun H rode fixed.
Rule 77

« Reply #29 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:42:15 am »
Yes I rode both this year on 65" fixed, I drove between the two though! Not being fast enough on Brevet Cymru(22hrs) leaves 10 hours to ride to Poole(plus some sleep is required). Not so sure I would attempt this again though, I was very sleep deprived on Porkers and was getting the dozies overnight. Managed to finish Porkers in just over 25hrs then collapsed in the Poole Travelodge!!
Quite happy for my name to be added to any compiled list.
Shaun Hargreaves

« Reply #30 on: 16 May, 2018, 01:05:00 pm »
Cheers Shaun. Chapeau for doing it on fixed !

I think sleep deprivation is the biggest challenge with brevet-porkers. You start the weekend early on Saturday with the BC start and then don't get to bed again until well after midnight. So, by the time you line up at Poole on Sunday, you're already badly sleep-deprived and you then have to go right through another night. I was hallucinating the first time I did it.

It's so challenging, and there's so little reward except for the knowledge that you were up to it, that I don't think many people have wanted to ride it again, but I'd like to get some names and dates just to find out more.

I've got as far as researching domain names though and the leading contender is currently: brevet-porkers.fun ... how inappropriate.

« Reply #31 on: 16 May, 2018, 01:14:03 pm »
Names of people who've done both should be easy to scrape from the historical results pages.

Details of how they got between Chepstow and Poole, and whether they rode fixed, not so.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #32 on: 16 May, 2018, 04:00:57 pm »
Good thinking !

Thanks - I'll start trawling the results ....

Oddly enough, I'm listed on both this year, but rode the BC as a route check several days beforehand.

« Reply #33 on: 16 May, 2018, 07:22:00 pm »
Ah, that's something else scraping the results won't tell you...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #34 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:01:14 pm »
SR Steve (Stephen Ralph) and Rob Gray did the double first IIRC. I think one or two others did it with them. They used a van to get between the two events.
Mike Kelly and I did it the year after. I think that was 2014. Mike caught the train between the two but still ended up having to ride about half the distance. I rode between the two (95 miles), stopping for a sleep near Bradford on Avon. Not exactly a flat ride between the two events either.
Jasmine Muller did the alternative version last year, LWL-Porkers. I'm not sure there's much in it which double is hardest.

« Reply #35 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:14:57 pm »
Thanks TG - I'd assumed it'd all started many years before that. All great info !

Dare I ask - did you ride it fixed ?

« Reply #36 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:39:48 pm »
No, I rode with gears. The fixie was put into retirement in 2013, but will be making a comeback soon, though probably not on an Audax this year, but you never know.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #37 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:40:55 pm »
Toby did the BC / Wu'ze 400 combo in 2010.

http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2010/listride/?Rider=1380
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #38 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:54:17 am »
I've finally created a page detailing who's done it over the years:  https://adultmale.wordpress.com/brevet-porkers/

Please let me know of any errors or additional info that might be interesting / useful to know ...

« Reply #39 on: 19 April, 2019, 02:31:09 pm »
So, two weeks to go ... Who’s in ?

« Reply #40 on: 23 April, 2019, 08:43:49 pm »
I'm up for another go. Ride down to Chepstow then probably sleep in my sleeping bag before BC. Then do BC and hopefully get a few miles down the road before sleeping in my sleeping bag again and carrying on to Poole. Hopefully make the start of Porkers in time and maybe catch a few naps in my sleeping bag during Porkers. Got a room at Travelodge in Poole for £36 for after Porkers. So an early night then ride home the next day.

S2L

« Reply #41 on: 24 April, 2019, 09:40:18 am »
I'm up for another go. Ride down to Chepstow then probably sleep in my sleeping bag before BC. Then do BC and hopefully get a few miles down the road before sleeping in my sleeping bag again and carrying on to Poole. Hopefully make the start of Porkers in time and maybe catch a few naps in my sleeping bag during Porkers. Got a room at Travelodge in Poole for £36 for after Porkers. So an early night then ride home the next day.

That's about the same distance as LEL or LEJOG...  :o :o

« Reply #42 on: 24 April, 2019, 09:43:37 pm »
Yup - sleep's the big issue with this. I'm aiming to be as well-rested as possible before the BC and get round it as quickly as I can without wrecking my legs for Porkers - so I can get some decent sleep before setting off to Poole.  I'm hoping to get to Corscombe in time for a decent sleep too ...  We'll see how all that goes !

I just hope the weather's ok ...

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #43 on: 04 May, 2019, 04:05:19 pm »
Hope those doing the double are having a good first half!

...just loading the Porkers onto my Garmin and noticed (probably because bikehike doesn't have it as a right of way) that on the first leg the official track takes us up the A35 to the next junction, but there's a little cycle-only left that we can take here: http://bit.ly/2Y00pVw which rejoins the route in about a km, and is much nicer.

Also heading on to Portland on the A354 it's well worth turning right onto the cycle path here: http://bit.ly/2DMMmLu it has a good surface and although will take a few seconds longer at either end will spare you multiple close/punishment passes at the pinch points along the beach road that have been put in to stop dangerous overtaking.

I'll be running my tracker which will put dots on the map every 10 minutes http://bit.ly/andrews-tracker somewhere towards the back of the field. See everyone tomorrow!

« Reply #44 on: 10 May, 2019, 08:52:35 am »
So - TG & I did it this year ... unless there was anyone else ... ?

Both rides were cold overnight & I never got to take any layers off. All good training I suppose !?

That's possibly the last one I do. I'd rather just be able to enjoy Porkers in its own right - it's a cracker !

There were only 30 or so starters for Porkers and 150-ish for BC. I know Porkers is limited because of the overnight controls, but given the choice I'd always ride Porkers. It's special ... just can't think of any other way to describe it !

S2L

« Reply #45 on: 10 May, 2019, 03:54:11 pm »
From TG's Strava... one of the funniest things I've read in a long time  ;D :thumbsup:

I spent some time in Mc Donalds trying to have a dump but wasn't having any success. I thought it was probably dehydration, so drank all the water from my bottles and had another go and still nothing. It would have been ridiculous if I never made the start of Porkers in time because of this!
I ordered 2 large coffees for both hydration and the caffeine, which can have a laxative effect. I did manage to get some out, which was enough to get me comfortable enough to ride again. I pocketed a wad of toilet paper incase things improved.
Lo and behold! just before Shaftesbury I found a hedge and emptied my bowels with ease, which was a big relief. That and the effects of 2 coffees worth of caffeine, meant that I just made the start of the Prokers with 5 minutes to spare, and then we were off...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #46 on: 10 May, 2019, 04:59:13 pm »

I'd always ride Porkers. It's special ... just can't think of any other way to describe it !
The one I rode with you in 2017 was 'special' ... special in a very wet, very cold, kind of way  ;D ;D ;D

I plan to be back next year (instead of BC, not, as well as)

« Reply #47 on: 10 May, 2019, 09:21:24 pm »

I'd always ride Porkers. It's special ... just can't think of any other way to describe it !
The one I rode with you in 2017 was 'special' ... special in a very wet, very cold, kind of way  ;D ;D ;D

I plan to be back next year (instead of BC, not, as well as)

Hm, yes - that year was a bit too special for my liking. I hope you get to experience Porkers in good weather - the sunset over the Blackdowns was quite something this year.

« Reply #48 on: 01 April, 2023, 12:05:49 pm »
So - the combo is back on for this year after the covid hiatus etc. ..... who's in ?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #49 on: 01 April, 2023, 08:05:39 pm »
So - the combo is back on for this year after the covid hiatus etc. ..... who's in ?
the only way I'd be up for this combo, is if someone was driving a tour bus between Chepstow and Poole so I could sleep on the way.

But that isn't very Audax.

Eddington  127miles, 170km