Author Topic: Richmond park - closed at night?  (Read 3038 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Richmond park - closed at night?
« on: 02 March, 2023, 08:44:45 am »
According to the Richmond Park website gates close to vehicles at night, but pedestrian gates are open 24 hours.

so is it allowed to cycle through the park at these times?

Richmond Park is on my normal route into London, but I need to go in the evening and I won't be there by 17:30.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Richmond park - closed at night?
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2023, 08:49:50 am »
Unless the situation has changed since I left London cycling is allowed - except during the deer cull when the park is closed at night to everybody.

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2023, 08:51:47 am »
Normally, yes, you can go through the ped gates and cycle in there anytime. However, during the twice yearly deer cull, the gates shut at 8pm. The culls go on for approx 6 weeks, the current one started on 1st Feb, so is probably still ongoing but I haven't been in since Saturday and didn't take note of the signs.

You'll still be OK until 8pm but make sure you will reach your exit by then.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2023, 08:52:28 am »
When you get to the entrance look for a small gate to the side of the locked vehicle gates. IIRC there are two 'airlocked' gates so it can be a bit fiddly getting the bike through. Watch out for the deer!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2023, 08:48:57 am »
Do this regularly on my London commutes.  It is a faff going through the gates.  I've never been late enough after work to encounter the deer cull closure but do have an alternative route through Richmond to Hampton if the worst came to the worst.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2023, 09:22:51 am »
Mrs hatler and I discovered last Summer that the gate closing regime can go wrong.

At about 1am we entered at Sheen and tried exiting at Robin Hood. The pedestrian 'air lock' gate was locked.

Cue a rather hairy and alcohol befuddled clamber over the gate in our party gear, I sat astride the top dangling the bikes over and Mrs h getting her footwear stuck in the railings.

Oh how we chortled.
Rust never sleeps