Author Topic: Non stick ovenproof frying pan recommendations?  (Read 2889 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Non stick ovenproof frying pan recommendations?
« on: 29 October, 2021, 06:47:39 pm »
About a 28cm pan, with an overall length including handle not to exceed 46cm.

(cheapo ceramic hob compatible)

Got the hots for a Frittata di Spaghetti - and other things

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Non stick ovenproof frying pan recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2021, 07:03:49 pm »
I have bought quite a few frying pans over the past few years, all induction compatible. The "non-stick" ones have invariably disappointed me as after a while stuff sticks to them.

I'm using one of these almost exclusively now. As long as you give it a bit of a clean every so often, stuff doesn't stick to it. I made an omelette in it last night and it was perfect.

I don't think that particular pan will work in the oven: the handle is probably too long and there is a small rubber logo attached to the handle which would be damaged by heat. But pretty well any carbon steel pan would work well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2021, 08:20:38 pm »
I got one from Procook several months back - some kind of 'granite' ceramic coating.

The best non-stick pan I've owned.

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2021, 08:41:48 pm »
I got one from Procook several months back - some kind of 'granite' ceramic coating.

The best non-stick pan I've owned.

They look good, our circulons are getting on, might try the pro cook, look good value.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2021, 08:45:36 pm »
It is this one. Very happy with it, it's my go-to pan, nothing has ever stuck and it looks like the day it arrived despite almost daily use.

I also bought a couple of stainless steel pans at the same time. Very happy with those too.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2021, 12:31:40 am »
Have an inkling for a mild steel pan and season it.  Probably from hoohing.

« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2021, 09:37:37 am »
I've had a Scoville Neverstick wok for around a year that gets used a couple of times a week, I haven't had anything stick to it, even when not using oil  As with all non-stick you're not supposed to get them too hot or use metal utensils, I've broken both those rules and got away with it so far. Mine is from the basic cheap range and has a plastic handle, there is an oven proof range with steel handles which has the same coating.

« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2021, 06:12:42 pm »
It is this one. Very happy with it, it's my go-to pan, nothing has ever stuck and it looks like the day it arrived despite almost daily use.

I also bought a couple of stainless steel pans at the same time. Very happy with those too.

At least that sauté pan has a reasonably low profile lid. My 20 year old Brabantia one (not non-stick, just stainless) has a flat stainless lid with loop handle, and it just fits in my top oven, should I need it too. As a bonus the lid also fits my non-stick frying pan.

« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2021, 07:14:03 pm »
Different pans for different things.

A Tefal for eggs. Never used for high heat items, never used with anything other than silicone or exoglass implements, never has any other pan stored directly (I use a cloth bag to keep it in. It remains 100% non stick for many years.

An oooooooold* pressed steel frying pan for high heat stuff, eg steaks. Happy to cook anything in it, as it cleans up perfectly.

A Greenpan frying pan for non-stick abuse. High heat saute, bacon, whatever.  Doesn't give as good finish as the steel but it is basically non-stick. I like greenpan because when it stops being quite so non-stick (and they all so with that treatment) they remain easily cleanable and the coating doesn't flake off like Tefal and others. Handles are oven safe to greater or lesser degree. This one seems to be a good deal at the moment, you can explore the differences between different ones here

(I also have a heavy copper saute pan for when I feel the need, but that wasn't your question.

*> 40 years

« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2021, 12:37:10 am »
All non-stick pans appear to be fine when new - the difference is longevity. My old Meyer is bent and dinged after 24 years service (including in a six-person student house), but is still in occasional use, whereas I had to invoke ProCook's guarantee and get a replacement after less than two years. The replacement was better, but nothing to shout about. Le Creuset (non-stick) did better, but not brilliantly - takes a couple of days to soak omelette residue off it these days. It probably managed about five years? Maybe? Cheapo Vogue carbon-steel catering pans from Nisbets, properly seasoned, are spot on. There's no non-stick coating to fail, and if you abuse them, you can re-season (but use keeps them well seasoned anyway). All steel, so fine in the oven, and they're cheap.

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2021, 02:28:45 pm »
Vogue carbon-steel catering pans from Nisbets, properly seasoned, are spot on. There's no non-stick coating to fail, and if you abuse them, you can re-season (but use keeps them well seasoned anyway). All steel, so fine in the oven, and they're cheap.

My only issue with them and the deBuyer is the cranked handle which makes them storage unfriendly. The old pan I have is similar with a flat handle, unfortunately Mrs Ham left it on the light for a several of hours. Cleaned up ok, but it now has a dish in the base, if I could find a replacement I would be happy.

If anyone would like a Vogue steel pan - 36cm - it's theirs for the costs of carriage or collection East London. It is just too big, I don't think I've used it more than once.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2021, 05:06:09 pm »
Thanks folks for suggestions and user experience info.

I've got three frying pans at the moment.

1. A 10 year old aluminium 10" aluminium Delia Smith thing that buckled straight away and is in the metal recycling bin - hated it from the start.

2. A recent plastic handled non stick 11" cheapo from Aldi or Lidl. It's okay and even pleasant to use, but not ovenproof and probably won't last long before the coating deteriorates?

3. An ancient ex Divertimenti 12" copper saute pan that's close to needing re-tinning. It's way too heavy for me now and too large for my day to day needs.

I have to say I'd rather prefer NOT to have non-stick - but have always been put off with the idea and practicality of seasoning carbon steel - and the cheapo Lidl does seem convenient, cooking and cleaning wise.

Ham's different pans for different things is of course spot on.

(slightly off topic, I still have a full useable set of Silcro (Swiss) stainless steel copper bottomed saucepans and stacked steamer kit from circa 1965! they were a wedding present for my late wife's first nuptials. The pleasure of which is still appreciated every day I cook. They required a very rich aunt to fund - but boy have they earned their keep and provided such long lasting pleasure. Stepson and grandchildren probably won't be too upset for me to pop me clogs and get their generation's hands on them)

« Reply #13 on: 15 November, 2021, 12:25:33 am »
Seasoning carbon steel really is pretty simple - there are plenty of detailed sets of instructions available, but they're all detailed variants on "wiping with vegetable oil and heating it till blackened", essentially.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2022, 03:19:32 pm »
Very close to clicking the BUY button on one of these "Prospector" pans from a foundry in Shropshire

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/shop/double-handle-pans

One doesn't need a long handle, does one?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2022, 06:07:08 pm »
Very close to clicking the BUY button on one of these "Prospector" pans from a foundry in Shropshire

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/shop/double-handle-pans

One doesn't need a long handle, does one?

Depends on whether it needs to double-up as the Frying Pan of SPAANNNGGG.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2022, 06:14:42 pm »
I love my Wagner* cast iron skillet and I've had it well over 20 years. I use it both on the hob, in the oven (normal 60cm width) and under the grill and nothing ever sticks. Man, is it heavy though!

* I've just looked them up. Apparently no longer available, which is a shame.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2022, 06:15:18 pm »
Long handles make getting things into the oven more difficult.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."