Author Topic: Hilleberg Atkto - opinions please?  (Read 2390 times)

Hilleberg Atkto - opinions please?
« on: 13 March, 2023, 05:00:55 pm »
I'm going to look at a S/H Atko on Wednesday - apparently only used twice, a few years old 'lighter green colour' - just wondering if it's a bit small - I'm still pretty flexible, but my Saunders Jetpacker was always hard to get in and out of and rather like sleeping in a coffin - I'm sure there will be some useful opinions from forum members.

Re: Hilleberg Atkto - opinions please?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2023, 05:12:15 pm »
It's fine getting in and out, just the lack of headroom is an issue if you plan to spend some time in it (more than just sleeping, that is).

You can borrow mine if you want to try one out first.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2023, 05:24:57 pm »
It's a proven design, and surprisingly spacious for a one-person tent.  Warm, and robust in windy conditions.  Not the lightest, especially if you include the footprint.

Downsides are obviously that it isn't free-standing (though it'll go up in under a minute with just 4 pegs[1]), and I reckon the inner could benefit from a second cover-able vent at the foot end to provide a bit of airflow when it's warm.  Like other Hillebergs, the fabric appears to be unusually transparent to IR: It's notably slower to dry in the sun than other tent fabrics, though this can be mitigated somewhat by (perhaps counter-intuitively) closing all the vents to allow the air inside to heat up.

One of the things they've changed in recent designs is how the inner zips work.  Mine has two single-ended zips meeting at the bottom corner (leaving a gap that is almost, but not quite entirely ant-proof).  A more recent version has one double-ended zip that bends round.  This would seem advantageous from a ventilation and beastie-exclusion perspective, as you can create an opening higher up.

I find side-entry small tents a bit more convenient than end-on, but I think that's one of those personal preference things.

The critical factor will likely be whether you can sit upright on your preferred mat in it: I can, just.  Andrewc informs me that it's a right pain when you can't.

[1] There's a definite knack to pitching an Akto successfully on the first attempt.  It gets much easier with practice.

« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2023, 06:26:28 pm »
Two very good replies, thanks Dean and kim

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2023, 07:38:29 pm »
I had one for about 10 years. Excellent, bombproof tent. 

However if you are tall, have a long back and a current style thick sleeping mat you'll probably get a crick in the neck whilst cooking in the porch. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2023, 07:53:56 pm »
Oh, I should add that I found mine would slowly drip from the end of the vent seam in heavy rain, which lands in the middle of the porch area (not ideal if you've got a footprint).  I applied a couple of layers of silicone seam sealant to mine, which seems to have put a stop to it.  When I mentioned this at some ALC meet or other, a very experienced Akto user said they all do that.

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2023, 08:51:41 pm »
Mine was pre-vent, it just had the 2 openings at either end.   I never had a problem with condensation or damp in the inner,  but on the other hand it was a rare experience to pack it away dry. 

Oh , for the record I'm about 180cm/6ft.    My current tent of choice is a MSR Hubba HP/HubbaHubbaHP ( have both).   Not as durable or stormproof as the Akto but in my opinion more liveable in (esp the HH).  Be aware that the HP was optimised for European weather and the current MSR range look a bit less weatherproof.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2023, 09:20:37 pm »
Oh, I should add that I found mine would slowly drip from the end of the vent seam in heavy rain, which lands in the middle of the porch area (not ideal if you've got a footprint).
Mine does that too. Unlike you, I've not got around to sealant yet (since 2008). I just put out a pan with a J-cloth in the bottom to catch the drips.

I reckon the inner could benefit from a second cover-able vent at the foot end to provide a bit of airflow when it's warm
Where are you thinking of? There's a low level vent at both ends, so as far as I can see, the only other useful place would be a second high level vent on the side opposite the door (where it would be inaccessible from inside the tent).

It's notably slower to dry in the sun than other tent fabrics, though this can be mitigated somewhat by (perhaps counter-intuitively) closing all the vents to allow the air inside to heat up
The other counterintuitive thing is that if you should be troubled by condensation on the inner, the correct course of action is to close the outer vents, thus allowing the air between inner and outer, and the inner, to warm up some.

What I particularly like about the Akto is how easy it is to pitch, more or less regardless of weather. The placement of the main pegs is all on guys, so stoney ground is generally OK.

The inner sizing is a bit more biased to porch space than other similar tents (Zephyros, Power Lizard etc), so there's no way you'll squeeze in a second person. On the other hand, there's room to bring in all 4 panniers and still leave the entrance fairly clear.

I had a Jetpacker once. As you say, like a coffin, not helped by remaining very low until half way up from the foot end. Getting trousers & socks on was a lie on the side job as there wasn't the knee room to do it on your back. The Akto is much better.

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2023, 09:22:50 pm »
I like side entrance tents, I dislike fabric flapping so close to me face.  Never tried an Akto, but didn't keep the similar TN Laser very long.  Plenty of people like them, so if you're buying at a reasonable price, you won't lose much if it is't for you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 13 March, 2023, 09:37:04 pm »
I reckon the inner could benefit from a second cover-able vent at the foot end to provide a bit of airflow when it's warm
Where are you thinking of? There's a low level vent at both ends, so as far as I can see, the only other useful place would be a second high level vent on the side opposite the door (where it would be inaccessible from inside the tent).

The inner, not the fly.  It's got that one mesh panel on the top third of the door.  I reckon another at the foot end (to line up with the external vent) would be useful.

« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2023, 09:43:55 pm »

The inner, not the fly.  It's got that one mesh panel on the top third of the door.  I reckon another at the foot end (to line up with the external vent) would be useful.
I've read of people doing that as a DIY mod. IIRC, they reckoned it was an improvement.
Note that if it's windy, raindrops can blow in under the end of the outer overhang and through an open outer vent. An inner vent would let your sleeping bag get wetter than already happens with what goes through the inner fabric.

In warm weather, I'd generally just leave the inner door rolled back (depending on the local insect life).

« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2023, 11:27:42 am »
I also have an Akto, which I have not used as much as I would have liked to (due to meeting Mr Fimm not long after I bought it). I like it, and at 5' 7" I find it very spacious.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 14 March, 2023, 12:42:39 pm »
Note that if it's windy, raindrops can blow in under the end of the outer overhang and through an open outer vent. An inner vent would let your sleeping bag get wetter than already happens with what goes through the inner fabric.

Easily solved by closing the outer vent.  It's rarely hot *and* windy, and since you tend to pitch an Akto with the foot end into the wind, you'd normally want to keep that one shut so it doesn't inflate.

In warm weather, I'd generally just leave the inner door rolled back (depending on the local insect life).

I do a good line in allergic reactions to insect bikes (TBAGO), so tend to be quite careful about keeping the inner closed.  Related Rant: Why on earth did they decide to make it yellow?  I've got one of those tents with a black inner and it's amazing how the flies are completely disinterested.