Author Topic: Audax rides from Bildeston, South Suffolk, Saturday 23 July  (Read 2326 times)

Don't panic, it's not too late to enter!
There is a choice of rides available, so there must be one to suit you. GPX routes available for all rides. Refreshments available at start (Bildeston Sportsfield) and finish, café stops en route. Any queries, contact Robin Weaver at pamandrobinw@gmail.com.
The rides are open to all, entry via the AudaxUK website at https://www.audax.uk/choose-a-ride/calendar-events/ (website requires registration to enter, but no payment other than for the ride).
An opportunity to ride on little used country lanes, with short lengths of quiet A and B roads, through typical Suffolk towns and villages. Not too far from London!
Suffolk Lanes Extravaganza, 209k;
This route heads north from Bildeston to Walsham le Willows, then east through Eye to Halesworth, before turning south-east past Snape and on to the coast at Orford. The return route is via Wickham Market, Framlingham, Debenham and Needham Market. The route mainly uses country lanes with short stretches of minor A and B-road.
‘100 Miles of Suffolk Lanes’, 168k;
This route heads north from Bildeston to near Walsham le Willows, then east to Framlingham (castle), and on to the coast at Orford (castle), returning via Wickham Market, Debenham, and Needham Market. The route mainly uses country lanes with short stretches of minor A and B-road.
‘Bildeston Lanes’ 103k;
The route is broadly circular, starting south-east from Bildeston to Flowton, then north to Needham Market, Stowupland, continuing north to Cotton. The route then returns south to Buxhall, before zig-zagging back to Bildeston. There are few hills (a short, sharp one to warm you up after 2k!) on the route, which mainly uses country lanes with short stretches of minor A and B-road.
‘Jane’s Lanes’ 50k;
This route heads south-east to Elmsett, then north to a control near Granary Crafts (café with museum!) at Buxhall, returning via Rattlesden and Thorpe Morieux. Quiet roads and attractive villages.

Re: Audax rides from Bildeston, South Suffolk, Saturday 23 July
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2022, 10:19:52 pm »
I'm in. Hoping to make up for last year, when I had to be rescued from Wickham Market after my rear rim, embarrassingly, failed. Wheels now rebuilt and much more likely to make it round. With any luck, legs will too :-[

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2022, 09:22:49 am »
Thanks very much to Robin and all the excellent helpers who made this a really enjoyable day out - excellent hospitality at the start and finish, and a quiet and scenic route - what's not to like? The final 50k or so felt like we were riding into a hairdryer, and the temperature went above 31 degrees! Cheers to Psyclist for the company all day, it's certainly easier when you're sharing time into the wind, and have someone to chat to, I don't get a chance to ride many calendar rides, but will try to ride these again at some point!

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2022, 09:50:58 pm »
I will second that, thank you Sudbury Club Team, enjoyable day ride and the nearest Audax to my house.

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2022, 05:56:27 pm »
Great to be back on the bike after an enforced absence, riding again with Raymond for the first time since Stansted in December.

The Big Saxon is slightly diminished, but this has improved power to weight ratio, so the 50km was an ideal comeback ride, we even left the cafe 20 minutes in arrears and came in with time to spare. Back to big boys distances next year, and thanks to my Sudbury friends for their welcome.

Essex R&R this week, the mighty North Hill will be tamed with 15 kgs less to carry 

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2023, 10:08:01 am »
Anyone else here in for this year on Saturday 22 July? I'm signed up for the 160km route, ECEing to 300km as Bildeston is conveniently about 70km from home. This will complete my first SR year, oh yeah!

In case it saves anyone a job, here's the 160km route (copied from the route available on audax.uk) where I have added the controls and the caution info from the route sheet: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43728036

Also here's the 160km route sheet on two pages instead of three (plus the info sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1tn6mag5j7cd7lf57tll9/2023168kRoute-v2.pdf?rlkey=87wgjhc1dtgmatr6zg2e62qw2&dl=0

I'm not the best RWGPS wrangler, so no promises about reliability! Let me know if you spot anything to change.
Looking forward to this, looks like a nice route.

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2023, 12:57:22 pm »
Sorry to be missing it. It's a good event.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2023, 01:06:03 pm »
Was looking at this as being accessible from Ipswich but looks like train strikes will scupper plans.

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2023, 11:16:15 pm »
Thanks to the organisers and helpers who put on some great rides today, I really enjoyed the 100 miles of Suffolk Lanes.  Ok, so the weather didn’t play ball, there was a stiff breeze that was right in you face for most of the second half of the ride and the way back from Wickham Market was persistently wet, but still a lovely route and a number of reminders of childhood holidays in the late 1970s spent in and around the Orford / Rendlesham forest area.

I ece’ed to 300 for my sins so enjoyed another 75km of even wetter and windier weather on my way home.  Even more fun! I did consider a wimp out to the train at Sudbury, then realised Bures station was on my route home so hedged my bets but missed the train by 4 minutes and didn’t want to wait another 56mins for the next one when it would be almost as quick to ride home so I pushed on.

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:14:42 am »
Thank you for a lovely - if damp - day out! Thanks especially to the catering team. I ECEd the 168km event up to 300km too, and really appreciated my second breakfast on arrival.

This is the first time I've done this event - the family calendar hasn't lined up previously. We toured on the tandems in this area last year - it was an awful lot more sandy last year, so it was a relief that there weren't the same drifts of dunes over the road again. I enjoyed going through Blaxhall:

and nipped off the route to pay my respects to YHA Blaxhall, which is on the condemned list:

Garmin and I had WORDS when it wouldn't display the info controls that I had added to the route. I do not understand why that happens on some routes but not others! Stupid technology, stupid user? Will seek further guidance when Garmin and I are on speaking terms again.
It was fun sharing the route on-and-off with the 200km riders - although did lead to some amusing confusion about different controls when a 200km rider asked near Orford whether we'd passed Iken yet.
The catering was once again extremely welcome at the return; I was surprised how quickly I demolished some sarnies and flapjack. It's a long day for the catering team, not to mention the effort of shopping and baking in the days before! The rain stopped for the middle couple of hours of my return journey, but picked up again just as I got home about 10pm. And that's my first SR done.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2023, 04:03:47 pm »
I had the same problem that the course points I had added, didn't show up as course points. But they showed as waypoints and I could see the little blue flags on the map, that was at least somewhat helpful. I am still trying to figure out how to add course points in Garmin so that they work as intended. Any help would be appreciated :)

And it was a great ride yesterday despite the pouring rain in the last 50 km. Thanks to all organisers and participants! :)

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2023, 05:21:31 pm »
Select the course on your Garmin GPS.  Tap the … and make sure show course points is set to on.  Can’t be more specific than that as the menu system isn’t the same across all devices.

« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:18:14 pm »
Select the course on your Garmin GPS.  Tap the … and make sure show course points is set to on.  Can’t be more specific than that as the menu system isn’t the same across all devices.

Thanks, that would help if the file contained the course points in a correct format. But the problem was that they were not saved as such, therefore selecting that button would not make a difference (I had it selected).

I now figured it out. It works if I upload the organiser's gpx file in Garmin Connect web app, edit it there and add course points by clicking on 'Add Course Point', then save and 'send to device'.
Before, I had added the course points with another app (gpx.studio) exported and uploaded to Garmin Connect. Although the points were displayed on the map there, when I uploaded the course to my Garmin device, they were not there.
Regarding ridewithgps.com, if there is no Cuesheet, there will be no course points in the device. For example, @sparklyfish https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43728036 course does not have a cuesheet.

To get the course that I had edited with Garmin Connect with all my course points to RidewithGPS, I downloaded my course from Garmin Connect as .gpx file, then used https://www.alltrails.com/en-gb/converter to convert it to Garmin Course TCX, uploaded the result to RidewithGPS and the cuesheeet is there!

In summary, a solution for me seems to be to add course points in the Garmin Connect web app :) 

As I understand, adding the 'correct' course points in RidewithGPS is only possible with premium, adding 'Custom Cue'.

« Reply #13 on: 23 July, 2023, 07:10:07 pm »
Ah as Garmin Edge assumed you were using Garmin Connect to send courses to your GPS. 

« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2023, 07:16:29 pm »
As I understand, adding the 'correct' course points in RidewithGPS is only possible with premium, adding 'Custom Cue'.

Called custom cues and routes in Ridewithgps.   As an organiser I fund a premium Ridewithgps from entry fees.  I add custom cues for controls my events , but I see Ridewithgps as mostly for Wahoo units (as I can also get it to automatically generate cues for turns), as I also provide Garmin Connect with course points for controls for Edge users, plus GPX with waypoints (and proximity alarms) for Etrex etc.

« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2023, 10:41:41 pm »
Fab, thanks Dace and Phil! I shall give those a try. I'm a RideWithGPS subscriber, as I like the split route option for tour planning (amongst other reasons, mainly guilt at my level of RwGPS use when planning DIY squaredax adventure routes). Brill, I shall give those top tips a go. Thank you!

Dace - good to meet you at the arrivee! Thanks for the offer of a lift.  :) luckily that rain only carried on for another hour, then it was mostly dry the rest of the way home, so I'll get my points and can send off for my badge!  ;D hopefully see you again soon!

« Reply #16 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:27:01 pm »
Dace - good to meet you at the arrivee! Thanks for the offer of a lift.  :) luckily that rain only carried on for another hour, then it was mostly dry the rest of the way home, so I'll get my points and can send off for my badge!  ;D hopefully see you again soon!

Nice to meet you too! I am impressed by your determination. Well done!!! :)