Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 228013 times)

simonp

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #775 on: 06 February, 2014, 10:11:38 pm »
Blisters sufficiently healed to go again.

« Reply #776 on: 07 February, 2014, 01:25:23 am »
I actually managed the 2000m I set the Concept 2 for tonight, all be it much slower than my PB :thumbsup:

This was aided by sucking hard on my Salbutamol inhaler just before starting. Simon wondered if he should try some too when he saw me do it  ;D

« Reply #777 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:40:16 pm »
After seeing this thread I tried the Concept2 in the gym today and really liked it!  I'd never thought of using a rower for some reason but it made a nice change from the endless intervals on the cycle trainer.

I found that I could really concentrate on the whole-body workout thing, and try and be conscious of keeping a decent technique.  Managed 4000m in just under 20 mins and felt suitably OK to do my normal cycle intervals straight after.

I can see how this could be addictive.  Damn - seems I'm about to extend my already ridiculous 3 1/2 hour gym sessions  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #778 on: 10 February, 2014, 08:41:59 am »
Catching up on logging this morning... turns out Friday's 2k was a PB. I thought I'd been loads quicker than that before, but no, I took 10 seconds off!
If I'd realised I was proper racing I'd've really gone for it!

« Reply #779 on: 07 March, 2014, 07:52:24 am »
..and slashed 6 seconds off my 1k time this morning...

I know it's nothing for you blokes but for a short-arse girl (no leverage) sub 2 minute splits are going some. I'm above the 75th percentile now.  :smug:

(It's a shame none of this gym stuff seems to be transferring into speed-on-the-bike. O well.)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #780 on: 07 March, 2014, 09:08:28 am »
wey to go fboab

I don't find there's any immediate correlation between gym work and cycle speed.  But months later, in the summer, when I get to the top of hill I think 'somethings different now' because the work on the core and leg-back connectivity.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

simonp

« Reply #781 on: 07 March, 2014, 10:44:46 am »
I'm under the lightweight threshold again. But haven't been to the gym for weeks due to lurgy and being too busy.

There's another team challenge coming up from the 15th, don't forget to sign up.

« Reply #782 on: 29 June, 2014, 08:14:42 pm »
I went actual rowing on saturday, it was my first time in a boat in 10 years and once I'd got acclimatised to how quickly everything happens (you're all at hands away/bodies over?  already? shit!! ) I bloody loved it...   We had about 10 seconds out of a 90 minute outing of that lovely feeling of flying with the water burbling past the hull, reaching out for the catch, dropping the blade in, getting hold and feeling the boat accelerate and it was almost orgasmic. 

the other 89 minutes, 50 seconds were all a bit average but that didnt matter!! I'd had that 10 seconds and that's all I was after.

I'll be back for more on wednesday.  And saturday.

[yes, I have blisters and my quads & hip flexors are incredibly sore, but that's all part of the fun, innit?]

« Reply #783 on: 13 August, 2014, 09:56:41 am »
Back at the gym, back on the rower, back to the blisters.

*sigh*

simonp

« Reply #784 on: 15 August, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »
I thought I had got my blisters sorted this time, they formed into calluses without bursting.

Then I did a 2k warm up followed by a 30 minute effort last night and I have nice fat blisters again. Looks like at least one of them is going to need a few days before it'll drain.

Chris S

« Reply #785 on: 15 August, 2014, 09:03:22 pm »
I thought I had got my blisters sorted this time, they formed into calluses without bursting.

Then I did a 2k warm up followed by a 30 minute effort last night and I have nice fat blisters again. Looks like at least one of them is going to need a few days before it'll drain.

Surely Feline has some nice sharp, pointy gadgets that can help with that?  ;D

simonp

« Reply #786 on: 18 August, 2014, 03:36:27 pm »

Surely Feline has some nice sharp, pointy gadgets that can help with that?  ;D

:o  :hand:

I let them be, and they held up to 2k warm-up and 5k season's PB to date this lunchtime.

simonp

« Reply #787 on: 21 August, 2014, 11:09:34 am »
Logging some good kilometres there SimonP, I can see I won't have it all my own way at the top of the YACF leaderboard this year!

Which leads me to notice that the Fall Team Challenge starts soon. Everyone get signed up.

simonp

« Reply #788 on: 29 August, 2014, 12:36:14 am »
Tried a harder on a 2K this evening. My third-fastest time ever. 7s off my PB.

« Reply #789 on: 29 August, 2014, 10:21:24 am »
I'm almost a full minute down on mine at the moment. More weight lifting required. Early days.

« Reply #790 on: 29 August, 2014, 10:39:13 am »
I did a test last week and my 2k time is about a minute down on my best ever 10 years ago, I'm aiming to halve the gap by christmas.  Lots of ergs to do between now and then...

am loving being back on the river too, I've been doing some sculling and I cant believe I left it so long before getting back in a boat.

[remembers to log stuff onto the c2 site] [edited to add - have updated log, attached myself to the YACF team, sorry Simon..]

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #791 on: 29 August, 2014, 12:25:50 pm »
Glad you are enjoying being back in a boat, Mike.

I have signed up; just need to get on the thing (much more difficult than actually erging).
Have Speedcoach, can measure metres and speed on the water; does that count as well? They'll never know... :demon:

« Reply #792 on: 29 August, 2014, 01:02:08 pm »
it's fine - you can record on-water meters as well as ergo time. I dont because iCBA...

« Reply #793 on: 30 August, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »
Some advice from the collective rowers please:

If a man (a) had a birthday coming up, (b) has rowed a bit in the gym before and liked it, and (c) gave gym membership up as being expensive if you're mostly cycle commuting anyway and (d) fancied a bit of variety, but said man wasn't good at winter/ice commuting, which rowing machine would his missus get him so he doesn't become a blimp over winter again?

Durability:price ratio more important than absolute price, and whizzy features probably not important at all. Think Ribble rather than Pinarello.

« Reply #794 on: 30 August, 2014, 08:56:14 pm »

If a man (a) had a birthday coming up, (b) has rowed a bit in the gym before and liked it, and (c) gave gym membership up as being expensive if you're mostly cycle commuting anyway and (d) fancied a bit of variety, but said man wasn't good at winter/ice commuting, which rowing machine would his missus get him so he doesn't become a blimp over winter again?

Durability:price ratio more important than absolute price, and whizzy features probably not important at all. Think Ribble rather than Pinarello.

I'm a crap rower really so don't listen to me. But if I had to give up my gym membership tomorrow I would get this:
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/concept-2-indoor-rower-model-d-with-pm3-monitor.php

Chris S

« Reply #795 on: 30 August, 2014, 09:44:43 pm »

I'm a crap rower really so don't listen to me. But if I had to give up my gym membership tomorrow I would get this:
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/concept-2-indoor-rower-model-d-with-pm3-monitor.php

I'm fairly sure I paid a lot less for mine. Also - they take up quite a lot of space!

But having a rower is quite cool  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #796 on: 31 August, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »
+1 for a concept2, mines also a model C but i've still got the PM2 which works just fine*.  They hold their value too, I paid 400 quid for it about 10 years ago and they're still making about the same on ebay.

(* although you cant run rowpro on it, but that's windows only anyway...)

Chris S

« Reply #797 on: 31 August, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »
Do you guys get your C2s serviced at all? Is there some basic maintenance I should be doing?

« Reply #798 on: 31 August, 2014, 08:25:54 pm »
short answer - no, I dont.  I just wipe the chain occasionally. 

i replaced the bungee cord once because it'd lost all bounce, it made a massive difference to the feel of it, but didnt improve my scores at all...

« Reply #799 on: 01 September, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »
changing the cord isnt as bad as it looks.. took about 15 minutes with minimal swearing!