Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 228378 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #800 on: 05 September, 2014, 10:26:20 pm »
Similarly with my Model C, chain oiling (I still have some clear oil in an original bottle, so not that often), seat rollers replaced as bearings not sold separately (clacking noise like Oranj's - they looked fine but the noise drove me mad), regular roller & track wiping,  fan housing hoovering, occasional grip scrubbing.

Every part available, and exploded diagrams & instructions on the web. Properly rebuildable; non-metric (US) fastenings are a bit of a pain, though. If I bought one now, I would want a dynamic one (or a Rowperfect) to get nearer to on-water feel, actions & timing.

Whenever I see a WaterRower I keep thinking of Legionella...

Marco Stefano

« Reply #801 on: 10 September, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »
Oranj, is there a way to view other team members' exploits, apart from the challenges (all at 0m at the moment, obviously)? Just curious.

Over the last week I have done three 10km 21spm drones. I have to try and visualize myself sculling back upstream to prevent second half 'oh sod this' moments.

simonp

« Reply #802 on: 11 September, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »
Here.

It's different to the challenge team - you need to do this from your profile page to be seen in this list. (Under 'Affiliation')

Marco Stefano

« Reply #803 on: 12 September, 2014, 04:53:52 pm »
Here.

It's different to the challenge team - you need to do this from your profile page to be seen in this list. (Under 'Affiliation')

Ta simonp. I hope to make some contribution at least. Evening water rowing is just about finished here, so time to move weekday sessions inside.

simonp

« Reply #804 on: 12 September, 2014, 08:33:51 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Did another season's PB 5km yesterday. Still 30s off my all time best. Feels like a big gap but it did back then too.

simonp

« Reply #805 on: 17 September, 2014, 10:00:24 am »
2K easy, 2K hard before my weights last night, then 5K easy.

2K still 5s off my PB.

« Reply #806 on: 17 September, 2014, 01:41:23 pm »
The standard of erging in my gym is generally shite- guys thrashing away at 30spm for 2:10 splits, but this morning I was sat by a(n older) guy warming up at 22spm/2:05.
He asked (as I cooled down panting) if I minded him commenting on my technique, I said not at all, that I was aware my stroke rate is too high but I really struggle to keep it below 25. He said no, but he'd noticed I'm flicking my wrists on the recoil, and if I concentrate on keeping my arms straight I'd gain 5 seconds for no extra effort. I thanked him but was too knackered after 5k to give it a go. He carried on effortlessly, didn't falter in his rhythm as he spoke to me, and wasn't even vaguely out of breath. I have had aching forearms, so maybe that's why.

5k (first time this year, I think, never mind this season) was almost 2 minutes down on last season's best.

« Reply #807 on: 17 September, 2014, 01:52:03 pm »
squad sprints last night, (500m x 8 with 2 mins rest between) the first couple werent too bad but the last few were horrid, then I nearly blacked out & fell over when I stood up.  Lovely.

« Reply #808 on: 18 September, 2014, 12:47:38 am »
The Concept2 app on my phone doesn't seem to be uploading to the site as it should this month  >:(
Not that I am doing anything epic, I'm incredibly unfit after nearly 3 months of injury. I managed 2k this evening though after having to bail at only 1k due to being near-death a few times last week. It hurts my duff shoulder but the physio assures me I won't be doing it actual damage by trying to do stuff now.

simonp

« Reply #809 on: 18 September, 2014, 12:55:23 am »
Just passed 200km for the season.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #810 on: 18 September, 2014, 05:48:47 pm »

Is there a rowing equivalent to audax?

simonp

« Reply #811 on: 18 September, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #812 on: 18 September, 2014, 06:55:16 pm »
'Proper' Audax (rather than randonneuring) includes several activities, not just cycling. Walking, skiing, swimming and kayaking are the others, but not rowing.

http://www.audax-uaf.com/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #813 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »
Old guy was right- 3 secs faster splits for no increase in perceived effort.

« Reply #814 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:35:40 pm »

Something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Rowing_Marathon

flashback moment.. done it twice, once in an eight on a baking hot day (misery) and once in a quad (much better, still never doing it again)

Marco Stefano

« Reply #815 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:48:02 pm »

Something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Rowing_Marathon

Since it involves carrying your boat and blades around Bardney lock, and the amount of weed on the river trying to pull you in, I'd say it was more like cyclocross.

simonp

« Reply #816 on: 21 September, 2014, 03:38:16 pm »
Averaged 20spm on my 10km yesterday. Nice and relaxed.

Chris S

« Reply #817 on: 21 September, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »
Today was more about the machine, than me.

PM3 upgrade by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

Firmware upgrade means I can now integrate the PM3 with my phone and HRM. Mmm... stats....

simonp

« Reply #818 on: 21 September, 2014, 08:15:56 pm »
Didn't have time for more than 5km after doing chest and back weights this afternoon. First week of the challenge and 35,068m done.

« Reply #819 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:39:03 am »
Did a bit better this morning with the 5k. To be honest, I think I wasn't really trying last week. I've forgotten how to flog yourself on the rowing machine. Probably obliterated the horror from my memory.

Still, 22:51 isn't bad for a short fat bird. Still a minute down on last season.

Marco Stefano

« Reply #820 on: 26 September, 2014, 06:31:11 pm »
... Probably obliterated the horror from my memory.

Still, 22:51 isn't bad for a short fat bird. Still a minute down on last season.

You will remember about halfway into a race-pace 2k or 5k. Just before you think 'what the hell am I doing this for?', or if in competition, 'I've actually paid to do this; how mad am I?'. Then you start inwardly yelling at yourself - unless that's just me...

Well done, fboab. I am still in back-protecting drone mode, so 47/48/49 mins for 10k while listening to the radio, some with rating intervals at the end if I feel like it. 100k might be a good target for me for the challenge, as work is getting in the way a bit.

simonp

« Reply #821 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »
I’ve been slacking for the last week or so, due to a lurgy. Said lurgy seems to be resolving today, so I’ll hopefully be back on it soon.

simonp

« Reply #822 on: 07 October, 2014, 01:30:09 pm »
I’ve been slacking for the last week or so, due to a lurgy. Said lurgy seems to be resolving today, so I’ll hopefully be back on it soon.

57km done so far with just over a week remaining. 100km looking unlikely. Felt very tired this morning so a rest day is called for.

simonp

« Reply #823 on: 11 October, 2014, 12:31:06 am »
It’s still all to play for with 5 days remaining.

Marco Stefano

« Reply #824 on: 11 October, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »
I am fully lurgied and have been for two weeks. I was hoping for well over 100km but doubt I will be able to do anything next week either, sod it.