Author Topic: Fixed Wheel - No Brakes or Single Free Wheel One Brake on the Road?  (Read 21106 times)

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life

Dear All

With correction to links

Fixed Wheel - No Brakes or Single Free Wheel One Brake on the Road?

Set the scene_  In the 1970’s when I was fit, I riding home at rush hour time along the Old Kent Road, a cycle passed me who I fail match their pace , I noticed they were riding a bike with a 5 speed block but configure with a single free, but they only had a front brake.

This rider cycled though a gap of a bus and a car who had stop at a crossing.  The reason they had stopped a pedestrian was crossing, the result the cyclist hit the pedestrian who fell to the ground unconscious.

The police arrived, spotted the single free wheel, and was done for failure to have two brakes

THIS COURSE OF ACTION IS UNLAWFUL, STUPID AND BAD PR FOR CYCLING.

As a life long cyclist, daily cyclist in central London and a cycle instructor since 1998 I but not fail to notice the preponderance of persons (both male and female) riding a bicycle with the following configuration.

A bicycle with a fixed wheel with no additional brake on the front.

A bicycle with either single free wheel or with multi geared with only a front brake.

I now come to understand that some accredited cycle instructors are following the trend that was started in the USA.

According to Pedal Cycles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1983 [PCUR] cycles with a fixed must have a least a front brake

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3804

From CTC Magazine –Cycle 

How many brakes? – 2001.11
My grandson has been advised that BMX cycles with wheels of 20" or smaller are only required to have one brake. His parents checked with Brighton Police and were told this. If this is this true, then surely the law needs amending, as riders of BMX machines are not only small children. Please advise.

K M Wells

Local Police are not the best people to ask about detailed points of law and they are certainly in error here. The Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations require independent front and rear braking systems on almost all configurations of pedal cycle. One brake will suffice only in the following two circumstances:

(1) The cycle has a "fixed wheel" drive, i.e. no freewheel, i.e. to pedal backwards makes it go backwards. In that case one brake, acting on only the front wheel (or front two wheels if it has that many), will suffice. Resisting the forward rotation of the pedals, although nowhere near so effective as a proper back-pedal or coaster brake, is assumed adequate to slow down the back wheel.

(2) The cycle has its pedals fixed directly to one wheel, without any intervening gears or chain. In that case no proper brakes are needed at all. This exception allows the continued use of antique cycles such as “penny-farthings”.
It's possible that (1) might apply to a BMX, but I doubt it because a lot of BMX stunts and tricks are impossible without a freewheel. And as some of these tricks involve spinning the handlebars, that’s also the reason for omitting the back brake. The way to make a BMX street legal without cramping your style is to fit a hollow stem bolt for the front brake cable and a “gyro” for the rear cable. Or get a rear wheel with a coaster brake, which allows a few extra tricks too!

The Construction and Use Regulations are wonderfully convoluted however and do contain some weird stuff about wheel sizes that takes a bit of unravelling before you can tell it doesn’t apply to anything normal! One of these confusing clauses lets cycles with two rear wheels (i.e. tricycles and quadricycles) have a rear braking system that acts on only one of those rear wheels, provided that the machine was manufactured before August 1984 and that it has at least one wheel smaller than 460mm (i.e. 18 inches) diameter. Goodness only knows what that was all about: presumably the authorities wished to permit the continued use of some antiquated model of tricycle! And just to reassure our tricycling members, it is allowed to have both brakes on the single front or the single rear wheel (according to format: conventional or Newton-style respectively) provided that the tricycle is not designed or adapted for carrying goods.

The only other clause that mentions wheel size lets quadricycles with all four wheels smaller than 250mm (10in) have brakes that act on the tyres. I guess that's about pedal-cars. Otherwise these regulations don't count any brake that operates on a pneumatic tyre; but brakes that act on a solid tyre must be okay, which is another favour for the antiquarians.

It's also possible that the plods of Brighton are confusing wheel size with saddle height, since the Regulations make a general exemption for small bicycles and tricycles where the saddle cannot be raised above 635mm (25in) from the ground. That's the vertical distance to the highest part of the seating area with the seatpost fully extended and the tyres pumped up. Consider how low that actually is and it’s clear these must be very small cycles indeed: something that no child much over six years would be able to pedal efficiently. Of course, BMX kids are not too concerned about pedalling efficiency and tend to go about with their saddles ridiculously low — so as not to impede their tricks and stunts! However that alone won't get them off the regulatory hook. What matters is the potential height the saddle will safely extend to, not the actual height at which it's used. To evade the front & rear brakes rule these kids must not only keep their saddles right down, but also make it so they cannot safely be raised, i.e. by cutting down their seatposts, leaving only the 65mm minimum insertion length inside the frame. However I wouldn't advise that. Better get another brake!

If the law needs amending it’s because most recumbents also duck through the saddle height loophole, calling for an alternative definition of cycle size based upon the action of pedalling rather than standing over the machine.

Chris Juden

CTC Technical Officer

I SEE THAT

Looking at the Evans Cycle website there a number of fixed road cycles, many of them are without a front brake.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/single-speed-fixed-gear-bikes

Below is example of a fixed wheel road cycle display with no brakes

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/feather-2011-single-speed-road-bike-ec024680

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/plug-racer-2011-single-speed-road-bike-ec025582

I would like to know if they would sell these cycles as display with no brake.

If yes they possibly breaking the law

If not they may be braking the law regarding the display of good act 

Before any body say I have not used a fixed, I have:

Rode and completed:

Audax at 200, 300, and 400 km on fixed in Dorset

Ridden many miles off road (rough stuff) on a fixed

Ridden over the Romania Mountain on fixed

Riddern over DARTMOOR with some hill so steep that you had push back over the saddle to stop yourself from being push over the handalbars

Ridden in central London for many year on fixed

ALL THESE TIMES I RODE WITH TWO BRAKE PLUS A FIXED WHEEL

What is going on, Cycle Instructor should be riding cycles that are roadworthily and complies with the law.

The people who are using these cycle are they trying to be fashionable, a bit edgee, or is it because cycling is now cool they got push the envelop.

SO PLEASE

Ride bicycle with a fixed wheel with at least an additional working brake on the front.

A bicycle with either single free wheel or with multi geared with both working front and back brake.brakes.
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Fixed Wheel - No Brakes or Single Free Wheel One Brake on the Road?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2011, 07:47:21 am »
You're preaching to the converted here, Philip.  I bet you won't find a single YACFer advocating riding on the public roads without the legal number of brakes for the type of cycle.

As for Evans, I think they fit brake(s) to the bikes in question before selling them.  Is it illegal to SELL a bike without brakes anyway?  Not that it would be a good thing to sell them like that anyway.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2011, 07:55:50 am »

If you look at the specification For the viva pista on evans website, it describes it as having a back brake. I guess the photo is a stock one from the manufacturer for territories where the rear brake isn't needed on a single speed.

Personally I run two brakes on fixed, can't say I ever use the rear riding here in flattish London - but it's nice to know it's there!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2011, 07:58:18 am »
My apologies, that viva is actually a fixed bike (even with it's single speed name).

Still, it's spec does show two brakes.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:51:19 am »
Philip, your initial point is a bit lengthy for what you're trying to say - a bike with a fixed wheel needs at least front brake, a bike with a freewheel needs one rear and front, shops shouldn't sell/display bikes that are short of one or two brakes. Or did I miss something, which is perfectly possible?

Like Biggsy I don't think your view is very controversial over here. For a more lively debate try LFGSS?  Don't know really...

Regarding your cycling credentials, I am not sure how relevant they are for the points you made. Of course, it always help if one has personal experiences about the matter she/he is talking/writing about. Nevertheless it feels a bit odd considering one the one hand that nobody was question your credentials and on the other hand many people here did any audax distance on fixed over any terrain. The latter of course does not decrease your personal achievements. However in the broader picture, not having completed a SR series on fixed is pretty average here...
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:04:10 am »
If you've got balls big enough to ride a brakeless fixed on the roads, then I don't have a massive problem with it.  If we're going to have a crackdown on lawbreaking cyclists, let's start with people who ride on the pavement, move onto the ones jumping stop signals and then maybe have a go at riders without lights at night.

I ride a brakeless fixed in London quite legally and you know what?  I've yet to kill anyone to deth whilst doing it.

If I had my way, we'd ban the random capitalisation of pointless and long winded forum posts. 
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:25:31 am »
I'd suspect it's lack of imagination rather than size of bolleaux though.  Same as the 'I'm a better than average [car] driver' brigade.
Which we all know isn't a good idea.  The requirement for an emergency stop can be due to factors outside the driver/rider's control etc..

Otherwise I'd agree with Biggsy, we're all converts here already, many of us also did SR on fixed etc.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:28:36 am »

My grandson has been advised that BMX cycles with wheels of 20" or smaller are only required to have one brake. His parents checked with Brighton Police and were told this.

On a BMX there's the option of wedging a foot on the back wheel - therefore there are 2 means of braking the bike.  :demon: :demon: :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:34:18 am »
If you've got balls big enough to ride a brakeless fixed on the roads, then I don't have a massive problem with it.

I disagree.  I don't now, but I used to work just off Parliament Square, and there were any number of idiots on brakeless fixed causing mayhem as drivers, cyclists and pedestrians had to get out of their way.  Macho shit, really, which is why 
I ride a brakeless fixed in London quite legally and you know what?  I've yet to kill anyone to deth whilst doing it.

I am absolutely certain that you are a more skilful rider than 90% of the rest of the bike traffic.

If we're going to have a crackdown on lawbreaking cyclists, let's start with people who ride on the pavement, move onto the ones jumping stop signals and then maybe have a go at riders without lights at night.

Yes, I would agree with that.  Perhaps not the order necessarily, but that's quibbling.  I agree with the categories.

If I had my way, we'd ban the random capitalisation of pointless and long winded forum posts. 

Well, yes.  I think we can all AGREE with that ;D

ETA: I ride fixed with two brakes, but that's because I am a cowardy cowardy custard.
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #9 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:38:37 am »
I just think you're a sensible, sensible custard. But that's just me.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:40:56 am »
Thank you very much for saying so :)
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #11 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:46:45 am »
Where's 'smiley' with a pipe when you need one?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #12 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:49:25 am »
Maybe someone could come up with a rear mudguard brake, so fakengers riding brakeless singlespeeds can stop like skaters by simply popping a wheelie?  It would be fun to watch for sure!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2011, 10:43:46 am »
As a youngster, our 'Tracker' bikes (homebuilt predecessor of MTB/BMX) were brakeless but were riden on farm/woodland tracks and Cycle speedway tracks - not often on road.

We were so used to stopping them by skidding broadside, that we would do the same to emergency stop the bikes that we used on the road.

Skills are skills, the law is the law. Law trumps skjills - even if you are safe.

If they outlaw bikes that bend in the middle, I would have to stop riding the Wobblebike on road.  >:(

I never let beginners ride the Wobblebike on the road.  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2011, 10:53:09 am »
I have oodles of respect for anyone who has the ability to ride without an additional front brake and I wish that I could do it, but if the law requires a bike used on the road to have one then I would worry that not having one exposes the rider to being held at least partially liable even in an accident that is entirely caused by another road user and the rider's ability to stop not a factor. We've seen this time and time again, e.g. "both his legs were broken in the accident but the compensation was reduced due his own contributory neglience in not wearing a helmet". 

So I would leave the front brake in situ and just not use it - if I  could.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Philip Benstead

« Reply #15 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:32:49 pm »
If you've got balls big enough to ride a brakeless fixed on the roads, then I don't have a massive problem with it.  If we're going to have a crackdown on lawbreaking cyclists, let's start with people who ride on the pavement, move onto the ones jumping stop signals and then maybe have a go at riders without lights at night.

That is your opinion, and you entitled to it. 

Regarding my qualifications as to riding fixed, when I rode many miles on fixed in the 1970's very few rode on fixed on the road, whilst living in Plymouth I road 57-inch fix so I could ride up all the hills in Devon

As to preaching to the converted, apparent not.

Only tonight I spoken to very experience cyclist she thought many of the fixed ride had no idea what they were doing on the road

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »
As to preaching to the converted, apparent not.

Clue:  Charlotte was not recommending riding a bike on public roads without legal brakes, just not seeing anything terrible actually happening from others doing it.  Her bike that she rides (legally) without brakes is a penny farthing.

You are preaching to the converted, as might be obvious to you if you used this forum as more than a billboard.  I invite you to pop in a little more frequently and read a few more of our posts.  Personally I find this forum remarkable in how important so many people here regard sticking to the law - for public relations reasons, if not practical and personal reasons too.  Red light jumping and pavement cycling is generally frowned upon, and quite a few posters recommend having two brakes on a fixie, let alone one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »
Brakes, like gears, are cool.  Why would anyone not want them?   ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Fixed Wheel - No Brakes or Single Free Wheel One Brake on the Road?
« Reply #18 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »
If we're going to have a crackdown on lawbreaking cyclists, let's start with people who ride on the pavement, move onto the ones jumping stop signals and then maybe have a go at riders without lights at night.

If we're going to be proportional, let's first crack down on the RLJing car drivers, such as the one that nearly did for me tonight.

Seriously. The lights turned green, I started to move across the x-roads, then had to stop to avoid being hit by a car coming at me from my left, on the wrong side of the road too, having driven round the three cars ahead of him that had stopped at the red light.

In such circumstances, I can't help thinking that the OP's complaint lacks a sense of perspective.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »
31% of voters in an anonymous YACF poll would walk their bike 2.6 miles home, or leave the bike, if they were stuck out without lights after dark.  What proportion of all the country's cyclist would do the same?  1%, I reckon.  Therefore an average YACFer is thirty-one times more law-abiding than the average cyclist.  ;)

I'm joking*, but I hope you get the point behind it.

* Not about the poll results; they are real.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2011, 10:00:40 pm »
Where's 'smiley' with a pipe when you need one?

Too busy hunting Karla.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Philip Benstead

« Reply #21 on: 07 October, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8805525/Blow-for-Japans-hipsters-as-police-crack-down-on-fixed-wheel-bicycles.html

Blow for Japan's hipsters as police crack down on fixed-wheel bicycles
Tokyo's cool crowd may have to find a new way to get around after police moved to clamp down on the proliferation of brakeless, or fixed-wheel, bicycles.

Downtown Tokyo Photo: Kimimasa Mayama/Bloomberg
By Julian Ryall in Tokyo
7:00AM BST 04 Oct 2011
 1 Comment
The bikes, which are popular with the image-conscious Japanese youth, have been blamed for a number of serious accidents, including at least one fatality.
Fixed-wheel bicycles are designed for track racing but transforming a regular bike into a "fixie" - or "piste bike," as they are known in Japan - is a straightforward operation and allows the rider to stop by resisting the rotation of the pedals.

However, critics say that doing away with the brakes means the bicycle takes longer to come to a halt and, under Japanese law, riding a piste bike on a public road is illegal.
Police in Tokyo issued cautions to two cyclists with faulty brakes in 2009, but the number soared to 661 incidents in 2010, according to the Yomiuri newspaper. In the first eight months of this year, the number of cautions came to 614.
In late September, stand-up comedian Mitsunori Fukuda was stopped for riding a bike with only one brake in the capital.
RELATED ARTICLES

Then, in February 2010, a 69-year-old woman was hit by a man riding a piste bike in Tokyo and hit her head as she fell. The woman later died and the cyclist's case was sent to prosecutors on suspicion of serious negligent homicide and violation of the Road Traffic Law.
In May of the same year, a woman aged 92 was struck by a brakeless bicycle and suffered a broken collar bone.

"Such accidents are caused partly because of over-confidence in the part of the riders that they have the skill to avoid collisions with pedestrians," a senior police officer told the Yomiuri.
The Metropolitan Police Department has filed a request with the association of Bicycle Dealers of Tokyo to instruct customers that it is illegal to ride a bicycle without brakes on public roads and that they are liable for a fine of up to Y50,000 (£422).

Do I need to say more?

Or should I say what I say to the children I train for cycle training

I am perfect I make no mistakes.

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 07 October, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »
Phil, we've already discussed this:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52469.0

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 07 October, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »
Do I need to say more?

You need to read more.

The story from Japan has already been discussed on the forum, which you would know if you read threads on this forum besides just the ones you post to.  And why post it below a quote from Charlotte about her PENNY FARTHING?

iakobski

« Reply #24 on: 07 October, 2011, 08:09:35 pm »

Before any body say I have not used a fixed, I have:

Ridden over the Romania Mountain on fixed

Really? Carpathians? Like this?

How did you find it?