Author Topic: Perfectly Sensible Child Utterances  (Read 122077 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Perfectly Sensible Child Utterances
« Reply #475 on: 01 August, 2018, 11:51:26 am »
The real problem is that palaeontology progresses at a rate that renders all your dinosaur knowledge out-of-date by your mid teens, unless you have an professional interest in the field, or smalls of your own to keep you up to date with the current literature.

It is, however, pleasing to note that the term "thagomi[s|z]er" is still current.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #476 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:03:14 pm »
The real problem is that palaeontology progresses at a rate that renders all your dinosaur knowledge out-of-date by your mid teens, unless you have an professional interest in the field, or smalls of your own to keep you up to date with the current literature.

It is, however, pleasing to note that the term "thagomi[s|z]er" is still current.

Googlepedia suggests that the term was embraced by the palaeontology community after a conference in 1993.  When I was in my mid-teens.  Which is why I'd missed it completely.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #477 on: 01 August, 2018, 01:04:44 pm »
By diligent googleization I have unearthed a picture from said conference.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thagomizer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #478 on: 13 August, 2018, 03:17:47 pm »
A new house was built next to us at the end of last year and a family moved in with a boy of about three and, now, a month-old baby. The other day mother, baby and toddler were all outside enjoying the sunshine. The little boy had pieces of bark in a large tin can, one of which he offered to me. He explained that he was having a wedding; the pieces of bark were confetti. His mother said "He calls a husband a 'dancing man' and a wife is a 'dancing lady'." I would like to commend these excellent terms to the forum.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #479 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:10:20 pm »
This is actually a perfectly sensible parent utterance, but there's clearly not going to be enough material for a whole thread of that.
Small child: Why are those people's tents so small?
Mother: So they can put them on their bikes and go wherever they want.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #480 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:41:06 pm »
Sensible child question getting a sensible adult answer.

Shame such is so unusual...

Chris N

« Reply #481 on: 20 October, 2018, 06:37:52 am »
Sam, after eating two freeze pops: 'I've got brain freeze.  Will I die?'

« Reply #482 on: 22 October, 2018, 02:43:40 pm »
Andrew had PE on Monday
On Tuesday:-

Me: Did you have PE today?
Andrew (5): Yes.
Me: What, two days running?
Andrew: (well, you can guess what Andrew said)

:thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #483 on: 12 November, 2018, 06:56:09 pm »
Mum, dad and two little boys ~5 riding along the cycle path. Both kids have huge mud stripes. Dad is saying something about new bikes and the second Little pipes up, "I'm getting big wheels and mudguards. Dad, why don't you have mudguards?"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #484 on: 18 December, 2018, 12:11:57 am »
Friend-of-a-friend's 5 year old after learning about Apartheid and 20th century gender politics: "So when people used to think that women weren't as good as men, were men and women allowed to marry each other?"

« Reply #485 on: 18 December, 2018, 08:25:49 am »
Our walk/cycle around the big lake at Rocester on Sunday had a hurried finish as Andrew rode back to us and announced "I need the toilet!"  On establishing it was a #2, we rapidly bundled him and his brother back into the car and set off for home.  A minute or so later, there was another announcement: "You can slow down now, Mummy, it's gone back up!"  :-\

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #486 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:01:10 am »
He has a great future in Audax.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #487 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:53:48 am »
Better than the alternative as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #488 on: 10 January, 2019, 08:22:55 pm »
Boy approximately four years old, while walking past some fountains, with wild enthusiasm: "Waterrr! There's waterrr! I love waterrr!"
He was on his way to Za Za Bazaar with his family all dressed up (he was the smallest), so presumably already full of excitement before he saw the fountains.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #489 on: 02 February, 2019, 12:09:24 pm »
"Grandad, what happened to your hair?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #490 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:36:01 pm »

A few days back, I was telling Nye that everyone has to brush their hair. "Even Grandad?" He asked in amazement. I confirmed that even Grandads, both of whom have limited amounts of hair, brush the hair they have. Which may not take long. They do have beards to maintain though.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #491 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:55:01 pm »

A few days back, I was telling Nye that everyone has to brush their hair. "Even Grandad?" He asked in amazement. I confirmed that even Grandads, both of whom have limited amounts of hair, brush the hair they have. Which may not take long. They do have beards to maintain though.

Next week's lesson:  White people with dreadlocks.   ;D

« Reply #492 on: 04 February, 2019, 07:58:29 pm »

Next week's lesson:  White people with dreadlocks.   ;D

This is not going to be mentioned. I remember when Jamie had long hair that he wasn't great at looking after. Nye gave him nits. Unbrushable hair is not happening in a house where I wash the towels. I like my towels without pets.

« Reply #493 on: 17 February, 2019, 11:27:36 pm »
On way to swimming lessons today, spotted a bike with "for scrap or to fix" sign - a charge SS which needed tyres pumping up and a new seatpost&saddle. 
#1 child: "That bike just needs a new saddle and mudguards."
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #494 on: 19 February, 2019, 07:33:03 pm »
Andrew (5): So, what's the deal with Theresa May's deal?  (yes, really!)  Is it 'yes' or 'no'?
Mummy: What would you like it to be?
Andrew (5): I'd like it to be yes because I want us to be friends with the other countries.

« Reply #495 on: 19 February, 2019, 08:07:04 pm »

Not true. I get my hair cut in a number 4. No need for brushing or combing and the and the same for anyone else with a the same or shorter.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #496 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:30:33 am »

Not true. I get my hair cut in a number 4. No need for brushing or combing and the and the same for anyone else with a the same or shorter.

Number 4 or shorter doesn't really count for this purpose though. <4 is opting out of having hair. Much like the top of the Grandads' heads.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #497 on: 20 February, 2019, 12:26:14 pm »
I've wondered... are those numbers some actual unit?  Barleycorns, maybe?  Bound to be something from the firkin-furlong-fortnight-farenheit system...

*googles*

Ah, appears to be standardised on 1/8ths of an inch.  That's practically sensible.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #498 on: 20 February, 2019, 01:15:22 pm »
I think you need to allow for barber randomisation factor.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #499 on: 02 March, 2019, 04:09:40 pm »
"There's an old bike, Daddy!"
I'm not sure whether the small had recognized the label left on it by the council warning of imminent (some time in the next year, maybe) removal, or whether it just looked old. Daddy didn't seem to pay much attention, he was busy herding the smaller small.