Author Topic: Norfolk B roads  (Read 11860 times)

Re: Norfolk B roads
« Reply #50 on: 30 November, 2008, 11:05:48 am »
Another splendid story in pictures (and all inside 10!). Thanks iddu. Must ride out that way.

Cycling Viking

« Reply #51 on: 30 November, 2008, 11:12:40 am »

An incline! 10000 times, and we might make 1 altitude point!

I have officially arrived! I have never been photographed doing any of these! I'm the fat, old one grovelling over the Pont de Ventoux not the young sleek one !
I too really enjoyed this - Flew to Potter Heigham and to the cafe at 77km and was back at the control for lunch at lunchtime - A puncture slowed me down but was still back before 5 o'clock for a new PB. Really well organised and an enjoyable day. Great stuff!

marcus

« Reply #52 on: 30 November, 2008, 12:55:49 pm »
I had to give this a miss as I was nursing a heavy cold. Grrrr.

Glad to see everyone had a good time.

Rob

« Reply #53 on: 30 November, 2008, 03:40:17 pm »
A great day out.   Drove up Friday night and stayed just down the road.   

Arrived at the start and discovered that clubmate Garry has also made the trip.   Must share transport next time.   

A lot of the route covered the roads that I used when I was (occasionally) studying at UEA.   Rode the first 140k a bit too fast as I'm still lacking decent fitness.   Front tire went with a bang before getting back for a feed.   Got very excited as I was offered cake and custard at a control for the first time in years.

The last 60+ k went a bit more steadily as my legs were tightening up.   After turning at Watton I felt a bit better and rolled gently for the last bit to finish a smidge over 10hrs.

Thanks to Keeff and Sue for organising.   Look to be back for the Old Squit in Feb.

Legs a bit stiff today and the bike is still in the boot.

Only 8 months to LEL.   Put a few more miles and lose a bit of weight methinks.

« Reply #54 on: 30 November, 2008, 03:54:32 pm »
Well done to those who made it round

I was there at the first control point at Potter Heigham,open from 8:30-9:30am

The first group arrived bang on 8:30

and by 9:20 the last people arrived
Recumbent Riders will rule the world........(maybe)

have a look here
Flickr: bottlemasher's Photostream

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #55 on: 30 November, 2008, 04:48:03 pm »
I need to explain that Mrs FB and I had to be out of the house at 5.30pm - for a significant "freebie" in Norwich  - which required me to be clean, shaven and smelling nice  - hence considerable time pressure all day (as the ride home is about 20/25 minutes). Otherwise a pootle with the gang would have been very attractive -- we could have compared the weights of mud with which our bikes and ourselves were encumbered, and debated whether there was enough to grow potatoes or could it only be a lettuce crop.

Anyway - the day in weather terms was much as finally predicted - not at all bad - overcast and cool ( but getting cold around 4.00pm) a slight northerly wind - and NO rain.

The catering team were as ever playing a blinder as I rolled up to the start to meet Chris, Annie , Simon and Iddu. my mate Bob ( not of this parish ) who was riding his first 200 - had cajoled me to get there early so that he could meet some of the fascinating characters that I retell stories of -- when he and I ride at weekends. But the B*****  - wasnt there - and hadnt picked up his card when I went out with 5 minutes in hand to turn on GPS etc. However when spoken to this a.m. - he confirmed that he had ridden - and had ridden past the car crash etc -- so I reckon he was just late at the start.

Not much to add to earlier comments -- other than dont like the photo of the old guy with sparse grey hair in Iddu's 2nd photo  - who is he ?

Time pressure meant a punch and go at Mundesley. Then of course there was all that mud - I dont think I have ever seen such claggy roads before  - and it took just under an hour to clean the bike this morning.  I was given a useful tow into Reepham - by a couple of blokes wearing Triathalon shirts. Then the event centre and the oh so welcome soup. Rode on my own for the 2nd loop - took an odd diversion which wasted 10 minutes Finished about 4.30 - and just managed to get home and then to the right place at the right time - so no black marks from SWMBO.

I have to say that I do not care for the Watton road - only merit is that it is flat -- might I suggest that Keeth might look at a southern loop rather than the westerly one - good lanes round my way - Hempnall Bungay Diss etc.

But no misunderatndings -- the organiser and his team played a blinder - and I am most grateful for their efforts. They are manning 1 of the LEL controls - so we are all going to be OK there then .
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

annie

« Reply #56 on: 30 November, 2008, 06:00:29 pm »
I think that everyone has covered most things.

Was, as always, great to see the 'old faces' and some new ones :) 

The catering provided at HQ was outstanding, nom nom nom, thank you to the organisers and their merry band of helpers.  One of the helpers commented on my attire at the end of the ride, 'I do like your garter,' sadly I had to disappoint as I wasn't actually wearing one, was part of my shorts ::-)

Where was I?  Oh yes, an early start, crawling out of my very comfortable bed at 4am and on the road by 5.  I later regretted only having half a soggy ban ana for breakfast as about 3km from the first food control at about 70km, I died and fell off the back of the group.  Having said that it was a fast first stretch.

Twas wonderful to see Bottlemasher at the first control :thumbsup:

I managed to put away a huge plateful of beans on toast, a can of coke and a cup of tea whilst drooling over Iddu's delightful smelling bacon, mmmmm.  I really felt like converting from my state of vegetarianism to join him but decided that could wait for another time. 

I spent much of the ride with SimonP and a fair stretch with ChrisS.  The mud, oh the mud.  I do hope it had some therapeutic benefits!  My skin certainly felt softer this morning, sadly not the skin on my backside though. :( 

I did indeed stop for a sneaky snickers moment Chris but not a mic stop ;)

The rain legs never got an airing although I was quite silly with them on arriving back at HQ at around 140kms.  I think our table lowered the tone a little or was it just me? 

I set off on my own, managed a good rhythm, singing and daydreaming, feeling happy that I was following the route quite nicely.... that was until Attleborough, home of the one way system and more than one fish and chip shop.  OK, I saw A fish and chip shop but not THE fish and chip shop.  It wasn't until a few miles later and on arrival at the A11 roundabout that I realised I was in the wrong place.  I turned back for Attleborough, asked a very sweet lady if there was indeed another fish and chip shop and low and behold spotted SimonP and John from Norfolk.  I explained my little detour and how (I thought) I had lost part of the route sheet :-[

There was indeed a lot of traffic, only one group of morons shouted at us from behind their lump of metal on four wheels.  Watton was just the same shit hole as I remembered from my last visit.

The RTC further along that long and dark road was a bit nasty but the boys in blue did allow us through, I wisely carried my bike, SimonP and John dismounted and wheeled theirs through.   I think it was at this stage that Simon took on board a nasty thorn as it was shortly after that he had a rear deflation.  I did stop to assist with my faithful torch but as Simon continued to struggle with a distinct lack of inflation and my increasing shakes, I headed off, apologising but needing to move as quickly as possible.  My toes felt incredibly painful yet numb.  My fingers had been saved by Simon's lobster mitts.  It was a long, dark, fast road between there and the finish so I sang, sang some more and swore in between as I desperately needed to nibble on a jelly bean but didn't dare remove the mitts.  My neck and shoulder where the worst they have been in a long time, oh for a 'side of the road' masseuse to ease my pain, better still, one in a car to hand out treatment as I rode along!

I enjoyed the delights of yet more great food back at the finish.

I somehow managed to clock 137.5 miles, my longest ever ride.

Iddu, the pics are great.  I did however have to look up the word 'salacious' at 2am ;)  I owe you one for that push up the hill :-*  Thank you.

simonp

« Reply #57 on: 30 November, 2008, 06:30:15 pm »
I headed off, apologising but needing to move as quickly as possible.

Annie, I distinctly remember telling you to go before you froze to death.

And you had been considering leaving your leg warmers behind at HQ as well!

I switched to my fleece lined Endura bib longs for this event, and was glad of it.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #58 on: 30 November, 2008, 07:28:44 pm »
I was there at the first control point at Potter Heigham,open from 8:30-9:30am

Wasn't deliberately ignoring your sterling service  ;)

Rest of stream at clicky
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #59 on: 30 November, 2008, 08:06:03 pm »
I did however have to look up the word 'salacious' at 2am ;) 

We aim to be educational - or at least provide risqué URL's ;D

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #60 on: 30 November, 2008, 09:32:19 pm »
Oi Young Annie...Watton a shit hole ?  My In Laws sort of live there...and yep.. it is a shit hole.  Glad to see you did not have the freezing fog that Cambridge was sufering from most of the day.  Inspiring ride reports. 

Really must stop pissing about and get entered in to some 200s  :D :D

annie

« Reply #61 on: 30 November, 2008, 09:35:53 pm »
Oi Young Annie...Watton a shit hole ?  My In Laws sort of live there...and yep.. it is a shit hole.  Glad to see you did not have the freezing fog that Cambridge was sufering from most of the day.  Inspiring ride reports. 

Really must stop pissing about and get entered in to some 200s  :D :D

Sorry but ........ am sure in the daylight it has more going for it, then again!

The Old Squit perhaps?

Although we didn't have freezing fog it was pretty chilly.  Licking my lips was a bad idea at times :'(

Chris S

« Reply #62 on: 30 November, 2008, 09:42:29 pm »
Sorry but ........ am sure in the daylight it has more going for it, then again!

Didn't we control at Watton on Roger's Pootle back in February? ISTR the old bill were in attendance, sweeping up broken glass from a number of shops - the aftermath of a drunken gang fight. Pretty much the norm for Watton.

It's not much better in daylight - on balance it's probably better in the dark. Like Brandon  ;D.

simonp

« Reply #63 on: 30 November, 2008, 10:21:22 pm »
Attleborough was full of boy racers.  As usual.

I like controlling in Brandon late at night.  They'll probably recognise me in the kebab shop again.  Baklava makes a good energy food for a -4 deg C ride back to Cambridge.  :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #64 on: 30 November, 2008, 10:42:58 pm »

Didn't we control at Watton on Roger's Pootle back in February? ISTR the old bill were in attendance, sweeping up broken glass from a number of shops - the aftermath of a drunken gang fight. Pretty much the norm for Watton.

It's not much better in daylight - on balance it's probably better in the dark. Like Brandon  ;D.

It's all coming back to me now.... :-\

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #65 on: 30 November, 2008, 10:59:41 pm »
Yes - DIY Norfolk Pootle - it did do Watton  -- but damned if I remember trouble -- surely we had only just started from your place Chris?

Hope your ride home on Sat wasn't too cold or long. Understand with your early get up and extra distance why you needed your breakfast stop at Mundesley.

Now what is the East Anglian brigade going to do for Dec 200's? I am looking for 2 - and can not do Tinsel and Lanes. So one could be Ara's ride on 30th - but I darent leave it that late to get at least 1 in - so any other willing accomplices for a DIY pre Xmas - geriatrics can do weekdays - but what about those that work ? Annie - we could do that ride from Eye and then up to Chris for lunch at his pub -- and unfair as I thought Iddu's  comment was I promise not to rip your legs off !!!!

annie

« Reply #66 on: 30 November, 2008, 11:02:37 pm »
Yes - DIY Norfolk Pootle - it did do Watton  -- but damned if I remember trouble -- surely we had only just started from your place Chris?

Hope your ride home on Sat wasn't too cold or long. Understand with your early get up and extra distance why you needed your breakfast stop at Mundesley.

Now what is the East Anglian brigade going to do for Dec 200's? I am looking for 2 - and can not do Tinsel and Lanes. So one could be Ara's ride on 30th - but I darent leave it that late to get at least 1 in - so any other willing accomplices for a DIY pre Xmas - geriatrics can do weekdays - but what about those that work ? Annie - we could do that ride from Eye and then up to Chris for lunch at his pub -- and unfair as I thought Iddu's  comment was I promise not to rip your legs off !!!!

I could well be interested Roger, I too need more miles in my legs before Christmas.  Am supposed to be running tomorrow, gulp.   You had better not rip my legs off or else.... no rainlegs. ;)

I wasn't aware that Chris had a pub?

Chris S

« Reply #67 on: 30 November, 2008, 11:17:37 pm »

Well, there wasn't any trouble for us - just a lot of glass on the pavement t'other side of the road, and some police loitering about.

Ride home was fine, though I was ready to stop by the time I got home. Yes - I was on 120km or so at Mundesley - and ready for second-breakfast, especially after that rather brisk first section. Our "off and through" session worked well - at least until Happisburgh when the road went veeery slightly upwards and I fell out the back  ::-).

Tinsel Lanes for me next week.

Also about to bank a perm with Sheila - Necton -> Sudbury -> Saffron Walden -> Necton. 207km of gritted B-roads, so may give that a whirl - esp if weather intervenes and I DNS Tinsel Lanes.

More to the point - there are no 600s in this region next year. We should organise something - even if it's just a cloverleaf of 200s centred on someones house.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #68 on: 01 December, 2008, 08:05:38 am »
-- and unfair as I thought Iddu's  comment was I promise not to rip your legs off !!!!

Heh - when I achieve OWD CODGER sageness, I hope I'm still as quick & spry ;D

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #69 on: 01 December, 2008, 09:26:59 am »
More to the point - there are no 600s in this region next year. We should organise something - even if it's just a cloverleaf of 200s centred on someones house.

I am hoping to get my "first" 600 in Feb when I am in OZ - and I have promised myself the Chapman ( although it is always possible that best laid plans etc ) I like Sheilas Cambrian ( so that will be on the list ) , and there is Asparagus etc ( I know it is only a 400 - but I cant wait to see Red Lodge at 1.00am again ) and I enjoyed Fairies Flattest ( even with the odd start time - so maybe that one again ) and if I ride back from family in Hampshire then those are DIY 300's and then there is that very long ride in July - so when all added up I am not looking to find a DIY 600 in East Anglia - so count me out I suspect.

Just 15 miles needed today to reach 8000 this year -- woohay !!

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #70 on: 01 December, 2008, 09:41:21 am »

Heh - when I achieve OWD CODGER sageness, I hope I'm still as quick & spry ;D

But you told me that you had had a very hard life and despite appearances were actually only 23 -- so you have more than 40 years to wait to reach OLD CODGER status.  Hey and when I think about it - I am not sure that I like OLD CODGER even when softened with "sageness"  -- how about GRUMPY OLD MAN instead- now that I can do !

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #71 on: 01 December, 2008, 12:16:07 pm »

There's my 700 which includes your house and my house, Chris (not to mention Red Lodge)
Martlesham - Mildenhall - Earith - Necton - Hadleigh - Debenham - Southwold - Attleborough - Wells - Red Lodge - Buntingford - Lavenham - Ipswich
could probably be tweaked down to 600km

and as mentioned by Roger, there is indeed a 200 planned for 30th Dec for those not already in the know, meeting at Eye for approx 140km riding together, the remainder being covered by the journey to and from Eye.  route currently being debated.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #72 on: 01 December, 2008, 03:12:02 pm »

I'd be very interested - booked in to do Teh South Bucks Winter Warmer on Sunday, and already booked up for family things on the weekend before Christmas, so really the only weekend I can do is 13/14. So, if you are planning this for then, count me in!  :thumbsup: