Author Topic: Bauge's Amazing Recovery  (Read 6310 times)

Bauge's Amazing Recovery
« on: 29 March, 2009, 08:05:42 pm »
Sprint semi-final here.  What an amazing recovery by Bauge - a bit of luck, and phenomenal bike-handling! :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Bauge's Amazing Recovery
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:15:39 pm »
Sprint semi-final here.  What an amazing recovery by Bauge - a bit of luck, and phenomenal bike-handling! :thumbsup:

Absolutely brilliant - sideways at 40mph on a fixed wheel.. Sireau really lost it there..

The skid mark on the track was something to behold..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:23:36 pm »
Don't bike messengers have a comp to see how far a bike can be skidded? I'll bet even they are in awe!

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2009, 08:41:39 am »
Don't bike messengers have a comp to see how far a bike can be skidded? I'll bet even they are in awe!

I bet they don't do it at 40mph...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2009, 08:44:04 am »
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2009, 08:53:32 am »
I watched it yesterday and was convinced that Bauge was going to win the race by crossing the line on his back.  Amazing recovery and even more so because he seemed totally in control.#

Maybe it's the track but there seemed to be more people losing their front wheels than normal during these championships.

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2009, 09:05:56 am »
Worrying that Sireau's tyre rolled off so easily.

Would have led to a very stiff interaction with the commissaires in my day!

« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2009, 09:07:38 am »
Impressive bike control.  Excellent camera work and definition too.  Look at his leg muscles when he is instinctively fighting to control the bike.  

On an aside, Romero doesn't do it for me as a commentator.  Stumbles over words, repeats herself or the person she is with.  Stick to riding or rowing I reckon.

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2009, 02:15:55 pm »
Watching the final days action, I did notice the amount of board repairs that were peppered
all around the track.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2009, 03:27:13 pm »
Watching the final days action, I did notice the amount of board repairs that were peppered
all around the track.

Look at Lizzies crash in the scratch race.. a big chunk of track comes off as she slides down the banking.

..d

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2009, 04:30:54 pm »
Quote from: David Martin
The skid mark on the track was something to behold..
I would imagine the one in Bauge's skinsuit ran it a close second  ;D Phenomenal bike handling.
Working my way up to inferior.

David Martin

« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2009, 05:50:49 pm »

Looking at the video again, it does look like he might have staid upright but for his front tyre rolling off.. It comes off before he crashes, not as a result of the crash.

..d

Rob S

« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2009, 11:39:37 pm »
I got a pretty crap version 1/4 speed version of the slow motion off the telly just a minute ago as I've just got round to watching the programme yesterday....at least it'll still be up in more than 6 days time ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ftEFFv0h24&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4ftEFFv0h24&rel=1</a>

Saw another horrible crash in the women's points race final where the Belarussian girl gets a Russian girl's handlebar in the face as she goes down! :o 

Rob S

« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2009, 11:57:25 pm »
On an aside, Romero doesn't do it for me as a commentator.  Stumbles over words, repeats herself or the person she is with.  Stick to riding or rowing I reckon.

Oh come on...she's right up there with Eddie Jordan in the top BBC pundit performance of the weekend competition!! ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2009, 02:03:57 am »
Back in the days of Moser's hour record, they were putting coatings on the track to reduce rolling resistance.  It had to be removed from sections of the track when Rory O'Reilly was attempting the standing kilo record as he was getting wheel slip from a standing start.  Perhaps a combination of the particular varnish on the the track (PU probably) and hard rubber for low rolling resistance is allowing riders to come unstuck, so to speak.

Agreed, that tyre is poorly glued on and his mechanic has a good chance of being fired.  To me, it looks like it came off as he is falling, as soon as significant side load is applied to the tyre, not before.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2009, 01:09:42 pm »

Miraculously she has actually stopped starting every sentence with "Um" and "Erm"
I think she was aware of what she was doing and now seems to have beaten the habit.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2009, 01:50:53 pm »
Everyone has to start somewhere, I suppose.  It must have been a bit daunting sitting alongside an old commentary pro in Hugh Porter, as he's so good.

ChrisO

« Reply #17 on: 31 March, 2009, 01:55:43 pm »
I think her problem is that she is very uncomfortable in front of the camera and can't think what to say. She's not good at giving a personal opinion or being interviewed.

One especially cringeworthy moment...  Victoria Pendleton was saying how hard she found it to do the Worlds after the Olympics. Off the back of the interview Inverdale asked RR if she felt that vindicated her decision not to participate. RR said No certainly not and stumbled on, clearly not understanding the meaning of the word vindicated, and eventuallly JI said "So you think it was the right decision..."  to which she then agreed.

However, she was actually very good doing live commentary on the women's points race - she chimed in with appropriate observations and gave some good opinion about tactics and what people needed to do, how they were riding, individual strengths etc.

So she's fine talking about things she knows, without staring down the lens, but crap at giving general punditry on camera.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2009, 02:04:36 pm »
I think her problem is that she is very uncomfortable in front of the camera and can't think what to say. She's not good at giving a personal opinion or being interviewed.

One especially cringeworthy moment...  Victoria Pendleton was saying how hard she found it to do the Worlds after the Olympics. Off the back of the interview Inverdale asked RR if she felt that vindicated her decision not to participate. RR said No certainly not and stumbled on, clearly not understanding the meaning of the word vindicated, and eventuallly JI said "So you think it was the right decision..."  to which she then agreed.

However, she was actually very good doing live commentary on the women's points race - she chimed in with appropriate observations and gave some good opinion about tactics and what people needed to do, how they were riding, individual strengths etc.

So she's fine talking about things she knows, without staring down the lens, but crap at giving general punditry on camera.

I really felt for RR when she missed the meaning of "vindicated". Her response was obviously confused, and as if she was blundering on after realising her mistake, too nervous to stop and laugh it off.

I reckon she will get better. :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Rob S

« Reply #19 on: 31 March, 2009, 04:00:57 pm »

She was rather crap during the Women's sprint final....particularly the last one iirc. Had I found my remote quick enough I would've stuck the telly on mute.

David Martin

« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2009, 10:12:08 pm »

Have a look at the series of pictures here

I'm almost conviced he crashed because the tyre rolled.

Rob S

« Reply #21 on: 31 March, 2009, 10:54:25 pm »
I'm not surprised the tyre rolled at that angle....I'm surprised Bauge's rear tyre diidn't go the same way. Though once the tyre was off I'm pleased to see it didn't cause the same problem as this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ngv7Iu3y1o0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ngv7Iu3y1o0&rel=1</a> :o

« Reply #22 on: 07 April, 2009, 12:55:48 am »

Have a look at the series of pictures here

I'm almost conviced he crashed because the tyre rolled.

It's reminded me of why I don't run tubs  ;D

That photostream is good - seems to show the skinsuit damage isn't from the track... but from the other bike's rear wheel  :o