Author Topic: Powering Coolbox direct from Solar Panel  (Read 591 times)

Powering Coolbox direct from Solar Panel
« on: 06 July, 2023, 08:16:32 am »
I'm off camping in a few weeks with no electrical hook up
I've got a 12V cool box, which I plan to use with ice packs to keep milk and other bits cool (I will have access to a communal freezer)

But I also have a small portable solar panel (13 watts)

I know this won't be enough to power the cool box which needs around 30 watts, but I'm wondering if connecting it will work at reduced power? Or could I damage the panel or cool box by doing this?

Re: Powering Coolbox direct from Solar Panel
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2023, 09:33:27 am »
Not sure about any damage to the solar panel but given that it will not be shoving out a constant 13 watts I would have thought that it is in reality a non-starter.  Somebody who understands these things much better than I will be along in a minute though ...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2023, 11:39:00 am »
I haven't measured the power draw of my 12V cool box, but from the temperature of the cigarette lighter connector after it's been running on 12V for a while, it's drawing several amps.

If it were a 100W panel, you might be in with a chance...

As for under-volting, the peltier is unlikely to care.  The fan might overheat if it's stalled for prolonged periods.

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2023, 11:55:51 am »
Those peltier coolers are borderline placebo even when properly powered. You should but your efforts into worrying about keeping it in the shade and rotating ice from the freezer.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2023, 08:53:03 pm »
Those peltier coolers are borderline placebo even when properly powered. You should but your efforts into worrying about keeping it in the shade and rotating ice from the freezer.

This.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2023, 09:07:42 pm »
Maybe you could make some sort of evaporative cooler, if you have some water.
https://www.chelseagreen.com/2009/project-evaporative-cooler-box-draft/

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2023, 09:19:18 pm »
You want a camping gas cylinder powered fridge. They work off the bigger refillable cylinders and work great.