Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1737740 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #12450 on: 15 August, 2018, 07:44:43 pm »
Here on my lonesome. Beer miraculously remaining in glass despite the hill this pub is built on. Awaiting others.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #12451 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:51:01 pm »
Here on my lonesome. Beer miraculously remaining in glass despite the hill this pub is built on. Awaiting others.

Nice demonstration of the horizontal gravity we have in these parts!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12452 on: 16 August, 2018, 10:48:20 am »
So next week is Clacton Beer festival..... There is a 23:05 train from Clacton that (helpfully ?!?) goes at least as far as Colchester - or we could just bivvy in a hut on the seafront  :facepalm:
(There is a 22:05 that goes via Witham and Chelmsford)
The only issue is then one of how to get there?

Other options are available (in terms of venues) so happy to hear them...

ALSO>.......

This weekend, Beer festival at Spiritual Home.. potential ACME/MEMW(eekend)NS visit on Sunday?  who and what time ???
Regards,

Joergen

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #12453 on: 16 August, 2018, 01:50:56 pm »
ALSO>.......

This weekend, Beer festival at Spiritual Home.. potential ACME/MEMW(eekend)NS visit on Sunday?  who and what time ???
Looking more likely that we will be able to pop along Sunday PM (by car, with baby) - I think the promise of cake may have tipped the balance. Do you know whether they're doing their normal menu, or something else?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12454 on: 16 August, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »
I seem to recall it was stalls last time - perhaps Mr SH can let us know?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #12455 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:06:41 pm »
So next week is Clacton Beer festival..... There is a 23:05 train from Clacton that (helpfully ?!?) goes at least as far as Colchester - or we could just bivvy in a hut on the seafront  :facepalm:
(There is a 22:05 that goes via Witham and Chelmsford)
The only issue is then one of how to get there?

Other options are available (in terms of venues) so happy to hear them...

Top marks for trying to inject some variety into our Wednesday evening programme but isn't going all the way to Clacton not an awful lot of faff?  What about picking somewhere in Colchester?  The Victoria for example?

« Reply #12456 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:09:08 pm »
Still haven't been to the New Inn....and that is a perfect ACME (feels like someone's front room) kind of pub

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12457 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:10:32 pm »
Still haven't been to the New Inn....and that is a perfect ACME (feels like someone's front room) kind of pub

I think a few of us have been there, one Friday evening, a while ago.  But, let's go again  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12458 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:14:38 pm »

I think a few of us have been there, one Friday evening, a while ago.  But, let's go again  :thumbsup:

Yes, we have been, its a brilliant pub, lets go again  :thumbsup:  this thread refers...

A good fun evening.

Here are some images for your delectation.

English tapas at the Fat Cat, Butt Road

And a nice pot 'o tea

Parking the bikes outside the Old New Inn

Three pints

Oscar's Dad relaxes into his shorts

Chicken biryani in a pub with live music!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12459 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:19:35 pm »

That has potential plus food served till 20:45 - looks like there might be some space in the beer garden for bike stowage.

Also, Lamarsh Lion has been mentioned a few times as a place to go ??
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #12460 on: 16 August, 2018, 04:04:15 pm »
I should be around for a Sunday afternoon visit to the spiritual home beer festival; I’ll need a beer or three or more after moving the final bits between houses for my sister on Saturday.

Also, Lamarsh Lion has been mentioned a few times as a place to go ??
Cycled past it a couple of times recently  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #12461 on: 16 August, 2018, 05:32:53 pm »
I can't make the weekend....DIY on Saturday and I'm gardening and cleaning on Sunday in preparation for my sisters visit. Suppose I should make an effort since i last saw her 5 years ago.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #12462 on: 16 August, 2018, 07:39:00 pm »
I can't make the weekend....DIY on Saturday and I'm gardening and cleaning on Sunday in preparation for my sisters visit. Suppose I should make an effort since i last saw her 5 years ago.
What more of an effort can you possibly make than taking her to a beer festival at The Compasses??!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12463 on: 16 August, 2018, 09:02:10 pm »
What more of an effort can you possibly make than taking her to a beer festival at The Compasses??!

It's a good point well made.

« Reply #12464 on: 17 August, 2018, 09:38:46 am »
Indeedy BUT, she only arrives on Monday and the reason I have gout these days is because she doesn't drink and I had to support the breweries for both of us so a beer festival for someone that doesn't drink (especially attending with someone that does) I suspect would be a bit like taking a Vegan to a steak restaurant!

I am riding back from Stevenage on Saturday and my route goes dangerously close to there so I suspect I might just make the diversion, I'm practically home by then anyway.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12465 on: 17 August, 2018, 09:51:26 am »
So you'll be dragging your sis out next Wednesday evening then?  Not drinking isn't a problem, so long as we can persuade her to enjoy a pickled egg  :thumbsup:

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #12466 on: 17 August, 2018, 10:28:46 am »
I am planning to be at the Compasses Sunday afternoon, beer festival officialy finishes at 6pm.

Also considering stopping in on the way home tonight, expecting to arrive before the official start of the beer festival which is also 6pm.

« Reply #12467 on: 17 August, 2018, 11:22:06 am »
I'm riding the London Orbital route with Bernster on Saturday, so I may be distracted to pass Littley Green on the way back from Leaden Roding......
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #12468 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:09:08 pm »
In Bishop’s Stortford we have a ‘Goodness in the Park’ event on Sunday. All the local sports clubs are promoting themselves, and I’ll be there for my volleyball club ... they’ve put our court right in the middle, which is good for promotion but I’m sure the other clubs will be none too pleased with stray volleyballs.

Might be an idea to have an ACME stall next year, a chance to sell some wares and get some more people out cycling on a more social level.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #12469 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:12:39 pm »
In Bishop’s Stortford we have a ‘Goodness in the Park’ event on Sunday. All the local sports clubs are promoting themselves, and I’ll be there for my volleyball club ... they’ve put our court right in the middle, which is good for promotion but I’m sure the other clubs will be none too pleased with stray volleyballs.

Might be an idea to have an ACME stall next year, a chance to sell some wares and get some more people out cycling on a more social level.

Crikey, you must be the best example of "goodness" that Bishop Stortford can manage!!!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #12470 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:15:09 pm »
Myself and Jem are wandering along to the Compasses for supper tonight. See you later BFC :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #12471 on: 18 August, 2018, 11:05:08 pm »
Still up for Sunday afternoon at the Compasses  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12472 on: 19 August, 2018, 11:12:53 am »
Ace - what time are you thinking of getting there?

Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12473 on: 19 August, 2018, 11:13:54 am »
Also - I forgot, it's the summer beer festival at The Woolpack Chelmsford this week with the usual CAMRA tasting on Wednesday night...   We can do Colchester another week....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #12474 on: 19 August, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
Also - I forgot, it's the summer beer festival at The Woolpack Chelmsford this week with the usual CAMRA tasting on Wednesday night...   We can do Colchester another week....

Sounds promising. Can you arrange the 'drunk as skunk' persons offering free chips again?