Author Topic: York to Leeds - decent route?  (Read 6213 times)

York to Leeds - decent route?
« on: 12 November, 2013, 11:08:59 am »
I'm hoping to ride back from the Audax AGM in York to Leeds to get a train on Saturday evening.  Are there any decent alternatives to risking the A64.  I seem to remember some of the A64 has cycle paths but I might be wrong?

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

Re: York to Leeds - decent route?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2013, 12:03:28 pm »
I regularly ride the A64 way but wouldn't call it a 'decent' route. Yes, there are cyclepaths as far as Tadcaster but the unpleasant bit is getting from there to the centre.  You can swing through Tadcaster, on to Bramham then wiggle around a bit.

You'll be aiming for Leeds city centre train station, I assume?

B1224 out of York to Whetherby, then A58 isn't too bad. Some reasonably pleasant countryside but I guess it will be dark by then. About 27miles.

The final 4miles or so into Leeds centre are not great, no matter what route you follow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2013, 01:59:53 pm »
Thanks, mrcharly.  Good suggestions there.  I was thinking about Bramham, too.  As you say, it'll be dark, so I might be training it anyway, though I like night-riding, if it's on attractive lanes.

P.

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »
I haven't ridden any of the lanes around bramham, just through tadcaster.

The cycle path really isn't all that bad - a bit narrow near York (you need good lights) and it is best to cut through Copmanthorpe and onto that side (sticking on the other side means miles of riding with oncoming headlights). That bit can be a tad hard to find - the exit out of Copmanthorpe is a bit hidden and takes you over some lovely leaf-chutney.

The Wetherby route is the route I take if I have time. Not a fast road but certainly once past Wetherby it is reasonably pleasant and gently rolling.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2013, 03:09:34 pm »
From what part of Leeds Peter?

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »
He's going to Leeds train station from york
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2013, 03:33:51 pm »
I haven't ridden any of the lanes around bramham, just through tadcaster.
It's quite easy to get lost in the lanes round Bramham. DAHIKT.

My route of choice would probably be: back roads to Tadcaster (either side of the A64 will bring you out at more-or-less the same place - my choice would be via Colton and Bolton Percy, mainly 'cos I live in Copmanthorpe), past the Grammar School to Bramham then up the road parallel to the motorway to Bramham Interchange, thence through Aberford and Barwick-in-Elmet, which will bring you out near Seacroft - from then it's rather unpleasant main road (A64, mostly, although bits of it do have bus lanes) into Leeds City Centre unless you have Local Knowledge.

Another possibility would be to go through Tadcaster, Bramham and Thorner and pick up the A58 just before you get into Shadwell.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2013, 04:10:27 pm »
He's going to Leeds train station from york

Doh! Should read the thing properly!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2013, 04:42:53 pm »
I think I'd opt for interzen's route.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2013, 09:00:19 pm »
Thanks to all of you.  I'm going to weigh up all the suggestions.  I may well go to Tadcaster and I think then my way would be through Towton with all its grizzly connections.  It would be a sentimental journey, too, because I last rode that way with John Radford.  The B road to Wetherby is also a good option and one that would require less route-finding, which might be better after a liquid lunch.  Choices, choices....!

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
I ride to York quite often from leeds
reverse would be, bike path to naburn, acaster malbis, Appleton roebuck, taddy, towton, garforth, swillington, rothwell by pass stourton.

« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2013, 12:43:39 am »
Also interesting!

« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:23:19 am »
I ride to York quite often from leeds
reverse would be, bike path to Bishopthorpe, acaster malbis, Appleton roebuck, taddy, towton, garforth, swillington, rothwell by pass stourton.

I don't think you meant 'Naburn' there, unless the route included swimming.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2013, 12:41:22 pm »
You can get to Naburn from the Planet cycle path if you know where to get off. Not the best option in the dark though.

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »
You can get to Naburn from the Planet cycle path if you know where to get off. Not the best option in the dark though.

I think mrc means you'd have a hard time getting back over the Ouse from Naburn to Acaster Malbis.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2013, 01:55:18 pm »
I have used Ton's route but only as far as Garforth, where my folks live. I've cycled along the planet cycle route and from Selby its equally pretty to Leeds, via Rothwell. Its a long way round but nice quiet roads. I'd follow ton's route myself to Garforth. As for into Leeds I used to commute in my late teens but that was the A63 - A64 and then in past the New Playhouse. Its a dual carrageway the whole way so no so pretty. You could go north via wetherby as suggested and cycle parallel - ish to the A58, but I have never taken that route other than by car.

Have you tried cyclestreets.net? There are three suggested routes busy - medium - quiet.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2013, 02:01:41 pm »

I think mrc means you'd have a hard time getting back over the Ouse from Naburn to Acaster Malbis.
That does make more sense Deano.