Author Topic: The FNRtSR Residential.... Whitby 2013!  (Read 36349 times)

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
Re: The FNRtSR Residential.... Whitby 2013!
« Reply #225 on: 05 November, 2013, 12:28:08 am »
It was a wonderful weekend, as usual.

Friday began with a lot of faffing about due to double booking myself.  I had agreed to spend the day at a client's house helping with their inbound house move.  It was a move from the Isle of Arran to Manchester and with much potential for running modifications to fit stuff into the house. 
It rained heavily as I did what I could to assist the moving process, including cutting holes in the brand new kitchen units to plumb the washing machine and making a temporary washer with some leather scrap.  By 2pm I managed to escape and get on the road but I have list of things to do ASAP now.

The drive out, via a soaking at McD's in Chorlton as I tried to get some late lunch in the rain, was miserable due to the rain getting heavier.  Then on the M60 there were signs saying that the M62 was closed between J22 and J24. :-[
I decided to stay on the M62 and just follow any diversions.  The 'not moving' bit took longer then the 'moving bit' up to that point, with the possible alternatives at J20 and J21 being heavy with traffic.  Having sat at J22 for near 20 mins with the engine off something then happened.  All the traffic shot off like the traps were opened.  There was no indication of why the motorway was closed.  ???

I eventually arrived in York shattered and not really in the best mood for making decisions so I just followed Arch's lead.

The drive over to Whitby was fine and the feast CL laid out for dinner was much appreciated, especially the smoked salmon! :thumbsup:  The Friday night feast has to be the best part of the Whitby night ride.  ;)

The fire was lit using cardboard, drift wood and a little bit of greasy pasty paper bag before the coals were placed carefully around the flames to warm them. I managed to stab myself in the hand with my pen knife as I was still holding it when was tearing cardboard.  :-\

CL pointed out that some of the lights were not working on the stairs and I had a look at them.  There were loose connections in most of the stair light switches and one of the lamp holders was lacking in a neutral connection.  The non heat resistant flex was brittle and the end the electrical connections were taking all the weight of the lamp and the shade.  That was repaired as best as could be done without recourse to buying new parts while balanced on a tall stool with Arch pointing a torch.

The bath water that night was a little rich in ferrous oxide but that cleared up over the weekend.  I wasn't planing on doing plumbing this year.

The rescue run was quite exciting and has been described already.  CL failed to wake me the first time round as I had only just fallen asleep and was hearing all sorts of noises and voices as I drifted into dream mode while working out how to make skirting boards curve around a 4" radius for 180 degrees.  I was just waking again when CL popped her head around the door and said Kim was in trouble.

Not knowing the nature of the trouble I reacted as if for the worse and leapt into my clothes as Arch went to the bathroom.  We rushed down to the kitchen to find that Kim was still cycling but need not to be.  However, by then my BP was up and I had an adrenalin rush.
I did what I could to drive calmly without being too relaxed, to keep my BP down and was grateful for being stuck behind another car working its way through the darkness and then the fog.

Having spotted cyclists in the gloom I did a quick turn in the road using forward and reverse gears only to find that Kim wasn't with them.  Another turn in the road and a mile further along presented a second group of cyclists, whereupon Kim was duly loaded and rescued.

Back at base camp there was an opportunity for about 50 minutes of closed eyes before a trek down to the cafe for a much needed breakfast.
Another period of closed eyes followed while listening to feet on stairs and bathroom usage before lunch and and a chance to investigate the other side of Whitby with Arch.

We climbed the 199 steps up to the church but didn't think much of the mobility accessible ramp alongside it.  It looked a little steep and bumpy.

Spot the house!

There were some great skies and rainbow and we think Arch left her scarf at the abbey cafe.

On the way back to base camp we did some goth shop browsing.  I found the shop where I was once tried on a big leather goth overcoat and said I would return with money £400, for it.  That was back in 1996 I think, the coat wasn't there any more.  Arch did get a photo of me trying on a hat.  Maybe she will post it some time.

The ghost in the window was a nice surprise.
Click for video of it changing colour.

Sunday on the beach was bracing, but great fun trying to maroon people by making moats wider as the tide came in.  I am still not sure whelks are a good substitute for ice cream though, even with a sprinkling of cockles!

Anyway, I am finally home this evening after a day sorting out our wedding date and squishing apples to make wedding cider.

Tired now. Bed and then work in the morning.  Must remember to book an appointment with my local registry office to arrange my side of the wedding formalities.

Thank you CL for making it all a wonderfully organised, fun and foodie holiday.  And thank you to everyone else for the great company and entertainment.
It was lovely finally meeting Nikki, too, and talking 'stuff'. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to next year's Whitby dates. :)

« Reply #226 on: 05 November, 2013, 05:19:57 pm »
Here's a little video of the swing bridge in action (I don't seem to be able to embed it here):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natnot/10679746005/

« Reply #227 on: 05 November, 2013, 05:49:27 pm »
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2815/10676344585_eb77202d41_z.jpg

I looked at that for ages trying to work out what was funny and then,  ;D

Dammit, my old laptop seems to be having trouble seeing my phone, so no photos of mine just yet... suffice to say, MFWHTBAB looked very fine in the hat!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #228 on: 05 November, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »

You weren't alone in taking ages to spot it!

« Reply #229 on: 05 November, 2013, 06:49:13 pm »

Surely not that hard to see...... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #230 on: 05 November, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »

Surely not that hard to see...... ;)

I would have posted the whole sequence, but thought I'd probably already exceeded my photos-of-small-cute-blond-boy quota for the day :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #231 on: 05 November, 2013, 10:44:03 pm »
OK, I'm biased...

....but he's actually quite cute, that small person, isn't he?

Today we had parents evening.  I got to see the latest bit of writing in his book - what I did in my holidays.  A masterpiece of the genre.  I'll try to get a copy :D

« Reply #232 on: 05 November, 2013, 10:45:20 pm »
Yes, we need a report from everyone!

« Reply #233 on: 05 November, 2013, 10:47:12 pm »
Oh yes! Pleeeeeeeease can we have weekend reports from the Cubs!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #234 on: 05 November, 2013, 10:51:16 pm »
Neither are the keenest of authors... will see what they can come up with :D

I do think that the pic that EldestCub took on Sunday morning and which Nikki just very kindly emailed me deserves a wider audience tho.

« Reply #235 on: 05 November, 2013, 10:52:59 pm »
That's a great pic. I like the way he's framed the abbey in the whalebones!

« Reply #236 on: 05 November, 2013, 11:04:37 pm »
OK, I'm biased...

....but he's actually quite cute, that small person, isn't he?

Today we had parents evening.  I got to see the latest bit of writing in his book - what I did in my holidays.  A masterpiece of the genre.  I'll try to get a copy :D

They are both cute , obviously taking after a certain Lion.... ;)

Two wonderful small people.  :thumbsup:

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #237 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »
Finally, a couple of pics from me. I chose one of the sky at the abbey and one of the rainbow, but looking at MFWHTBAB's post again, they are they same as his!

So, the hat:

And on Sunday, comparing seaside treats:

I see SmallestCub looks like he's already eaten his candyfloss and is on a sugar rush...

NT went to the railway last night and got some welding goggles that were being thrown out. By next year he might have a whole steampunk outfit of his own...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #238 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »
That's MFWHTBAB's costume for next year sorted, then! Very steampunk. :thumbsup:

On the subject of costumes, I've found the perfect cycling boots: https://www.dzrshoes.com/zurich (shame they're (a) sold out, and (b) didn't come in my size anyway. Oh well. ::-))

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #239 on: 08 November, 2013, 09:32:37 pm »
That's MFWHTBAB's costume for next year sorted, then! Very steampunk. :thumbsup:

I need new glasses so I was thinking about taking the goggles to the optician to see if they could fit photochromic lenses to them.

I am also thinking about making the hat, I have some black leather scraps.  It will go with the black leather jacket and trousers I have too.  They will need adapting a bit with some buckles and bronze fittings.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #240 on: 09 November, 2013, 11:47:57 am »
Looking back at the words and pictures again now I'm back home properly. Good stuff. *goes misty-eyed*.

andrewc: I knobbled one of your photos of Trumps in the fog for a blog post - hope that's okay. (And well done for getting a nice photo of me smiling, btw. There aren't many of those about!)

MFWHTBAB: I'd be so very severely disappointed if you did anything so commonplace as buy a steampunk hat from a shop. Looking forward to seeing what you make!

Phanta: permission granted to buy some of those boots if they ever crop up on ebay!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #241 on: 09 November, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
I want to see the gothcam footage...

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #242 on: 09 November, 2013, 11:36:58 pm »
MFWHTBAB: I'd be so very severely disappointed if you did anything so commonplace as buy a steampunk hat from a shop. Looking forward to seeing what you make!
I'd never buy one, unless it was a charity shop bargain too good to be missed.  Also I am too broke to buy stuff. :-[

I noticed my video on your blog!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #243 on: 10 November, 2013, 11:39:37 am »
I want to see the gothcam footage...

Ah yes...

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=79007459&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=79007459&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

And a couple more photos I'd forgotten about, of the hearse up on West Cliff on Sunday morning:

« Reply #244 on: 10 November, 2013, 10:51:11 pm »
I noticed my video on your blog!  :thumbsup:

Ah, forgot to ask about that too, sorry.

Loving the gothcam footage and commentary! Genius!

« Reply #245 on: 10 November, 2013, 10:53:09 pm »
Am I missing something? No Gothcam shows up for me...

« Reply #246 on: 10 November, 2013, 10:56:32 pm »
Am I missing something?

Very much so!

It's a take-the-s-out-of-the-https://-job

vimeo.com/79007459

« Reply #247 on: 11 November, 2013, 07:28:44 am »
Thanks nikki! I couldn't even see a link, but that one works.

« Reply #248 on: 11 November, 2013, 09:20:14 am »
No problem - I would have missed it too, but Kim and barakta had spotted it and given me the heads-up, so I knew there was something there somewhere!

« Reply #249 on: 11 November, 2013, 10:05:09 pm »

NT went to the railway last night and got some welding goggles that were being thrown out. By next year he might have a whole steampunk outfit of his own...

Top hat & vintage welding goggles...

...how ridiculous.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...