Author Topic: All in a day's work  (Read 1143 times)

All in a day's work
« on: 09 January, 2019, 07:47:14 am »
This report and video is in French, but I suspect it is all very self evident if you just press play on the vid.

https://mobile.francetvinfo.fr/faits-divers/haute-savoie-un-sauvetage-spectaculaire-par-helicoptere-en-pleine-montagne_3135109.html

Rescuing a walker who has damaged his knee in the mountains. The pilot says, "It's a pretty common thing to do"

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: All in a day's work
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:26:04 am »
Wow.

(Worth watching just for the visuals, but I'd love a translation of the pilot's nonchalant account.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:59:03 am »
Obviously bursting with The Right Stuff, but I did wonder what kind of risk assessment was undertaken there - one slip and a hidden boulder under the snow and you've just totalled many millions of Euros' worth of chopper, plus potentially wiping out your crew, no?

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2019, 12:49:57 pm »
The essence of what the pilot says is, time is everything, you need to be quick.

Probably enough time for a risk assessment if he really tried.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2019, 01:01:27 pm »
... and he may have believed the victim stood a good chance of death if left there and the weather worsened.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2019, 02:45:21 pm »
He also said that they do that sort of thing all the time, although maybe not so spectacularly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2019, 04:57:03 pm »
I think Mum has been in that helicopter  ;D

It is simpler than it looks.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:23:52 pm »
I hope the walker had appropriate insurance.  A friend of mine is a keen climber and once had to be evacuated by helicopter from the Eiger. Luckily, he had insurance.  If he hadn't, he told me, he would have had to sell his home to pay for the cost of the rescue.  Twits who go hill walking in Scotland with only a mobile phone to guide them and end up being saved by volunteers don't realise how lucky they are.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?