Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 3rd  (Read 10425 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Jan 3rd
« Reply #26 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:32:35 pm »
I love the instant discussion/commentary/being able to follow Steve about. 

This really is the BEST THING to happen in cycling for a long time  ;D
It's already kept me entertained for longer than all the Hour attempts put together :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #27 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:54:01 pm »
Just back from riding with Steve round Kimbolton area in the moonlight. In good spirits, good enough to refuse to stop for my offer of a flask of tea anyway.
He's very happy to have had a win, win day with the wind directions, and to have made it to his favourite cafe.
Thinks he might get back to MK early and stay out till 9pm.

Looks a tricky morning to be out early tomorrow. ::-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #28 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:58:31 pm »

A bit worrying.  I return to work on Tuesday.  I know I'm going to get into trouble with the net nannies there.
I've already had an email letting me know that my most frequently visited site is yacf.
I know that.  They know I know that.  They know I know they know that.
I've taken it as whatever the stage before the warning shot across the bows is called.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #29 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:00:24 pm »
I need to go back to work to release myself from the F5 key.

He was down this way yesterday and I couldn't resist nipping out (in the car coz of lurgy) to cheer him on. Strange thing really - man in car stops at side of road, waits 3 minutes, sees man on bike approaching, flaps, applauds, shouts encouragement, gets back in car, goes home.

Still it made my day, and Steve managed a bemused but appreciative smile
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #30 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:01:32 pm »
Just back from riding with Steve round Kimbolton area in the moonlight. In good spirits, good enough to refuse to stop for my offer of a flask of tea anyway.
He's very happy to have had a win, win day with the wind directions, and to have made it to his favourite cafe.
Thinks he might get back to MK early and stay out till 9pm.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #31 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:10:00 pm »
He appears to have detoured to go through soul drop, I wonder how much he got for it? (and shouldn't it be in Birmingham?)

« Reply #32 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:23:49 pm »
Thanks alfapete & Jack Numplumz - brilliant micro stories.  Now posted on Steve's Face Book page.  Hope that this was OK.

Keep the micro stories coming YACFers.

HK

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #33 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:13:29 pm »
No problem HK, the whole post per day thing on here hopefully will continue with tales relevant to the day easy to find.  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:24:37 pm »

A bit worrying.  I return to work on Tuesday.  I know I'm going to get into trouble with the net nannies there.
I've already had an email letting me know that my most frequently visited site is yacf.
I know that.  They know I know that.  They know I know they know that.
I've taken it as whatever the stage before the warning shot across the bows is called.

Basil. You are 90 years old. Tell them all to fuck off, and retire to Wales.

Or if you are determined to carry on working until you get a telegram from Charles III, at least get a smart phone or an Ipad and follow stuff off your work computer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #35 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:32:31 pm »
Basil. You are 90 years old. Tell them all to fuck off, and retire to Wales.

;D  ;D

« Reply #36 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:48:28 pm »
No updates from Steve's tracker for a while. Not sure if he's finished for the day, stopped to refuel/warm-up or if the tracker's on the blink.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #37 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:51:13 pm »
We could spend an entire year doing this.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:53:37 pm »
He's stopped for the day now.

Don't forget that his schedule for early January is closer to 170 daily miles than 205.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #39 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:57:50 pm »
He's stopped for the day now.

Well kindly tell him that's just not good enough!  >:(
What am I supposed to do now?  Talk to the family?  Watch the telly?
Harrumph!!!!

;)  ;)

« Reply #40 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:00:16 pm »
It's bringing out the maternal in me. I got properly cold and wet doing chores on me bike in jeans, and I know what all day in cold rain feels like.
I want to go round his, make sure his water's hot, bath run and a casserole ready to eat before he falls into bed.

« Reply #41 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:04:53 pm »

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #42 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:07:36 pm »
I wonder where the gritting lorries are going tonight? He could need them in the morning.

I see that the trackleaders page gives him 548.44 miles but Strava gives him 960.4k, or 596.76 miles. That's more like a conversion of 1.08:1 than the 1.07 I suggested yesterday.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #43 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:11:05 pm »
Which websites show the active gritting routes around Milton Keynes? He can check those websites over breakfast if YACF list them for him.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #44 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:20:00 pm »
Which websites show the active gritting routes around Milton Keynes? He can check those websites over breakfast if YACF list them for him.

All details here: http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/streets-transport-and-parking/roads-highways-and-pavements/winter-maintenance-salting-and-salt-bins

« Reply #45 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:29:45 pm »
We could spend an entire year doing this.

Too late I'm afraid, you're already hooked :)

At least for me during the day, I have a manual job, so the internet is not available. Mercifully!
Garry Broad

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #46 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:04:50 pm »
The wonders of social media! I've been alerted to these posts by El Supremo. Twitter is a wonderful thing and I bet the local gritting authorities send a tweet each night telling their adoring public which roads they will be gritting and at what times. For instance, Kent and East Sussex tweet at 7pm each night from October to March. They say if they are gritting, and at what times. The road temperatures are very different from air temperatures, by several degrees. And sometimes they don't grit until early morning, sometimes during the day and sometimes in the early evening. They also differentiate between main A roads, bus routes and minor roads. Sorry to make Steve's job harder, better than him coming off on ice.
Best regards.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #47 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:12:29 pm »
@MKHighways is the Twitter account for the area around The Mighty Steve. Be warned: they're out tonight. It's icy.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #48 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:51:41 am »
There appears to be a double Strava entry for today!
http://www.strava.com/activities/236929456
http://www.strava.com/activities/236265184

What goes on? Which one is for the record?

« Reply #49 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:02:18 am »
If in doubt, use the shorter distance, but if the checkers are satisfied that the slighter longer one is correct & accurate, then that's the one to go with :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.