Author Topic: Ageing and medication - what's yours?  (Read 6662 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Ageing and medication - what's yours?
« Reply #75 on: 13 February, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »
Yes. I had given up cycling completely when pretty well all my time was taken up with children and chess. It was after the rheumatology dept. told me I needed regular exercise and I found that swimming was quite excruciatingly tedious that I bought a bike and, shortly afterwards, was pointed towards the predecessor of this forum.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #76 on: 13 February, 2014, 11:38:18 pm »
I see where you get the water, where do you get the sunshine from in the UK?
There's quite a lot of it about, but it's not very accessible in winter if your workplace is indoors. Today is the first time I've commuted both ways in daylight this year, and we sat in the sun to eat lunch. AIUI it's too early for vitamin D replenishment, so I'm unclear about the precise benefit other than chapped lips.

There are not many outdoor jobs that pay well. I didn't get a lot of sunshine in winter before I retired.

« Reply #77 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:44:45 am »
Why 'Hay fever'?

After 4 million years of natural selection, it should be totally eradicated by now.

Lots of undesirable conditions are selected for because they're a side effect of some more beneficial trait.  I'd suggest that ability to fight off infection is desirable, especially in a world without modern public health and medicine where most of the evolving happened.

I ask,, who'd want to start a family with someone who has snot streaming down their face?   :facepalm:

Because there's more to a person than their disability?

And there's always the risk of meeting your partner in the asthma clinic...

A paleolithic Asthma clinic ?

« Reply #78 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:47:46 am »
Considering this is a cycling forum full of fit people, don't we pop a lot of pills.

No.
Join a Classic car owners club.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #79 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:56:58 am »
There are not many outdoor jobs that pay well. I didn't get a lot of sunshine in winter before I retired.
And it's too easy to go too far:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #80 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:57:16 am »
Most people do grow out of hayfever.  Mine has gone from debilitating for several months of the year to a minor annoyance on a couple of days, for which I'm very grateful.

Me too. Between 15 and 25 it was awful. Had to take antihistamines from spring right through summer just to function then it started to tail off and these days I get a slightly sore eyes and a bit of sneezing a couple of days a year when the pollen is particularly high.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #81 on: 14 February, 2014, 08:11:03 am »
Cyclist attacked by van passenger with can of red spray paint.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #82 on: 14 February, 2014, 05:33:25 pm »
I ask,, who'd want to start a family with someone who has snot streaming down their face?   :facepalm:

Because there's more to a person than their disability?

And there's always the risk of meeting your partner in the asthma clinic...

A paleolithic Asthma clinic ?

No, a modern one.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #83 on: 14 February, 2014, 07:27:29 pm »
Kim, are you planning to pass your disgusting condition onto the next generation?

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #84 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:25:26 am »
I didn't plan to.
Getting there...

« Reply #85 on: 15 February, 2014, 05:59:05 pm »
62 and on Simvastatin and low dose aspirin, a close encounter with angina a few years ago means I'm fitted with 4 stents and likely to be on borrowed time. 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #86 on: 17 February, 2014, 09:14:36 am »
Not necessarily true dave r. My FIL had a triple bypass at 42 years old - 35+ years later he's still fine. In the last 20 years he's had statins which have helped - he did have to be restented about 7 years ago but otherwise he is still doing well. If you think at the young age he was when he had his bypass it's brilliant that he's still pretty fit (walks for 8 miles some days).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #87 on: 17 February, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »
Not necessarily true dave r. My FIL had a triple bypass at 42 years old - 35+ years later he's still fine. In the last 20 years he's had statins which have helped - he did have to be restented about 7 years ago but otherwise he is still doing well. If you think at the young age he was when he had his bypass it's brilliant that he's still pretty fit (walks for 8 miles some days).

Thanks for that, it feels like I'm on borrowed time, family history of heart attacks and strokes, those, the minority, that get past 65 without health problems seem to go on forever, the rest of us tend to have a lot shorter life spans.