Author Topic: A year older but noticeably slower  (Read 2788 times)

A year older but noticeably slower
« on: 02 March, 2015, 07:55:56 am »
As an avid logger of bike rides / segments etc I often compare progress year to year.

This year though am finding I`m noticeably slower in first two months year on average speeds, 2014 was 23.5 kph over 2400km Jan & Feb, this year over 2000km 22.5kph. Same selection of rides and average distances. Maybe its the more wintry weather this year....but

On a local `10 minute effort` hill last year usually rode it in 9min 30 sec ish, this year yet to get under 10 min and mid 10 min / 11 min is more the mark  :(

So I wonder what`s going on, maybe I`ve ridden too much (overtrained?) with 14 000km last year, maybe I`ve just lost the `buzz` of cycling and am (hesitate state this) .......bored with it? Or could it be after a year of Audax, incl SR-AAA I`ve settled down into a more steady consistent and slower pace for distance riding that has crossed into all aspects riding.

For info just age 55. Thoughts and similar experiences appreciated

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: A year older but noticeably slower
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2015, 08:36:40 am »
I'm going to be 55 later this year ....  Oh-oh  :o

Looks like you need to compensate for your age by buying newer, lighter, more expensive kit  O:-)
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2015, 08:59:57 am »
Fear not...
It has been a slower January this year...
I am now in my very late 50's. For the last 6 years my annual average speeds in kph (~12,000km through Peak District with ~150,000m climbing pa) have been:

2010 - 22.9
2011 - 23.1
2012 - 22.4
2013 - 22.0
2014 - 23.2
2015 (January only) - 21.7

Your mileage will vary!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2015, 09:04:50 am »
I have been recording my rides since 2006. My average speed has been in almost constant decline. I'm 60.

2006     11.27
2007     10.6
2008     10.72
2009     10.35
2010       9.36
2011       8.86
2012       9.25
2013       8.68
2014       8.49

Most of the decline can be attributed to excess bulk. Quite a lot of it is adiposity but some is luggage and bike type. Tandem rides tend to be slower than solo, camping trips (I was first bitten by this bug in 2007) slower still, and cycle commuting also tends to be slow because I have a heavy pannier of chess sets to cart about with me. All my commuting this year is likely to be in the car - at least, until the weather improves.

So far, this year has been an improvement - 8.58, and that coming off the back of being laid up through injury - but then I haven't been camping yet!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2015, 09:09:00 am »
I'm going to be 55 later this year ....  Oh-oh  :o

Looks like you need to compensate for your age by buying newer, lighter, more expensive kit  O:-)

(un) fortunately I`ve already got far too much of that ! and re adiposity issues my weight is same as last 5 years  :thumbsup:

Helpful though to note others `in decline` --makes me feel less depressed about it
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:43:43 pm »
The sad truth is the older you get, the harder it is to maintain the same level of fitness.

If you want to get more scientific about it: your body's ability to increase and maintain muscle mass as a response to exercise declines with age.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
Rather appropriately, a pressie arrived in the post today (Thank You, fboab  :-*) - "Fast at 50" by Joe Friel. Looks interesting.

I too am 55.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »
Really? Can I be nice and say you do not look it.  I rather assumed you were about my age (44).

There you go.

I am not on the pull ;)

I am not as fast as I was two years ago but then I am noticeably less fit and expect to get fast again this year - but I also suspect long distance stuff does rather change the muscle configurations.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »
I wish I could change my muscle configurations, seem to be getting slower since last year, now 60 years old  :(

Still trying though!

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2015, 03:52:43 pm »
Hehe - there's a bunch of fifty-somethings in here now wondering which one of us Caerau might be referring to  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »
Hehe - there's a bunch of fifty-somethings in here now wondering which one of us Caerau might be referring to  ;D

I naturally thought it was me  ;D

Bore  prynhawn da Caerau, sut dych chi? ;) Ble dych chi`n byw?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »
I don't find that year to year average speeds mean very much.  They mostly reflect where/when/what I've been riding and who I've been riding with, rather than fitness.  It doesn't take a lot of off-roading or urban cargo trips to pull your average right down.

Speed on a standard route is a lot more informative, but still subject to weather and, if you're in an urban area, traffic.

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:27:08 pm »
I did some research on this over Christmas. In general terms it seems that peak power (and other power levels therefore) diminishes with age (after typically 30 or so). A few of us thought it was about 3 watts/year, and that seems pretty much the case according to the academic papers I looked at. Therefore a 60 year old may well be about 90 - 100 watts below their peak.

It also seems that the cadence at which peak power is achieved decreases with age as well.

« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:42:13 pm »
I did some research on this over Christmas. In general terms it seems that peak power (and other power levels therefore) diminishes with age (after typically 30 or so). A few of us thought it was about 3 watts/year, and that seems pretty much the case according to the academic papers I looked at. Therefore a 60 year old may well be about 90 - 100 watts below their peak.

It also seems that the cadence at which peak power is achieved decreases with age as well.

interesting---and now I`ll be ageing myself even further by running a dynamo  ::-)  (3 years slower ?? )

Although what I find odd is that for 4 or 5 years my average speed (rural riding only as live in sticks out west) stayed fairly the same ---just this year there`s been a noticeable decrease

caerau

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2015, 06:10:41 pm »

You  :-*

caerau

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »
But maybe I just look old  :jurek:

caerau

« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2015, 06:13:28 pm »
And I live in Caerau, Cardiff, hence the name ;)

(No need for google translate , oh no  O:-) )

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2015, 06:16:08 pm »
You lot can't be slower than me, cos I have STOPPED.
I am 56.7.

« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2015, 10:13:31 am »
I am not in my fifties (coming up to 37) but I am getting slower

I think it's cos I don't care anymore  ;D
Does not play well with others

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:17:16 am »
I was at my fastest at 36-37 but that's 20 years ago...

« Reply #20 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:27:52 am »

and yet you finished last Black sheep Wochma before dark ---slower, I don`t think so !!

« Reply #21 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:32:23 am »

and yet you finished last Black sheep Wochma before dark ---slower, I don`t think so !!

It's all about the faffage minimisation not moving speed!
Does not play well with others

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:42:27 am »

It's all about the faffage minimisation not moving speed!

This woman knows what she's talking about!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23 on: 03 March, 2015, 04:32:30 pm »
The nice weather is almost here- forget the "loss of speed" and remember as you come past the pub beer garden that most of the drinkers 30 years younger could not stay with you to the next cross roads- let alone match you over a normal day ride

« Reply #24 on: 04 March, 2015, 02:05:26 pm »
A weekend made me slower >:(

Last Weds got a grade 7* on the turbo trainer.  Went to a wedding Saturday, ate too much and drank more than usual (3 pts Boddies and a whole glass of wine) and Sunday, feeling the effects, could only manage 6.   Fortunately it was blowing hooligan yesterday and so must have made up for my loose living - it was strong enough to make me pedal hard just to get down one hill.

At least using a gym means I start the year a deal fitter than usual. 

* whatever that means :-\
Move Faster and Bake Things